Reason 12 STILL doesn’t save detached window positions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

22 Sep 2021

dudes. seriously. how hard can this be? 🤦🏻‍♂️
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

22 Sep 2021

You saved it in your template song?
Reason12, Win10

sonicbyte

22 Sep 2021

You must save it within your template song

guitfnky

22 Sep 2021

why should I have to save it in a template?

I have a project I’ve been working on for 6 months, I open in 12, put everything where I want it and save the file. when I reopen, everything should be right where I left it. if they’ve tied basic functionality to a template, that’s…asinine.

Loque

22 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
22 Sep 2021

I have a project I’ve been working on for 6 months, I open in 12, put everything where I want it and save the file. when I reopen, everything should be right where I left it. if they’ve tied basic functionality to a template, that’s…asinine.
Never noticed, it is not saved in the song. Must check R12 again...
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

22 Sep 2021

gullum wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Having absolutely no problem every song I open like I saved them
are you using detached windows on a single high resolution monitor?

gullum

22 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
22 Sep 2021
gullum wrote:
22 Sep 2021
Having absolutely no problem every song I open like I saved them
are you using detached windows on a single high resolution monitor?
Yes I am but on mac if that makes any difference. Single screen mixer rack and sequencer detached

huggermugger

22 Sep 2021

Works for me. Always has. Saved like this, opens like this. And it works whether the windows are all on one monitor, or spread across two.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 9.31.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 9.31.20 AM.png (756.32 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 22 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Noise
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

Just for the statistic, I'm using two monitors with different resolutions, all windows maintain they last position . Usually I only detach the RACK. For this test, I detached everything. Even the windows not maximized and in a specific place retained the position.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

AttenuationHz

22 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
22 Sep 2021

Window positions have always saved within the song file and still do in r12. The zoom setting however is an application save it doesn't save with the file. So if you've changed the zoom any templates will have slightly different window positions depending on the zoom. Save a new template with the zoom setting and it should open as it was saved. If you change the zoom setting again however it will be different position because of the application zoom. Zoom should really be a template save or at the very least a toggle to enable it to save with the file.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

guitfnky

22 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
22 Sep 2021

Window positions have always saved within the song file and still do in r12. The zoom setting however is an application save it doesn't save with the file. So if you've changed the zoom any templates will have slightly different window positions depending on the zoom. Save a new template with the zoom setting and it should open as it was saved. If you change the zoom setting again however it will be different position because of the application zoom. Zoom should really be a template save or at the very least a toggle to enable it to save with the file.
I must be missing something because I still don’t get what this has to do with templates.

I haven’t changed the zoom setting in days. when I tested this morning, I set my windows where I wanted them, saved the project, exited, and restarted. the main window was back to full screen, and the mixer was resized and not in the same position I left it. if I save a project, it should open how I left it, whether or not it started out as a template.

fullforce

22 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
22 Sep 2021

I agree.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2021

It does for me. I have my Template and that gets Saved As into the Project file so unless I collapse those three windows (one per screen) back to the main window/screen and save, they always open locked nicely to the screens where they are assigned. (far more reliably than some other hosts that open somewhere near the screen they're supposed to be in).

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Despondo
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

This never happens for me. Matter of fact, I've written a few tracks on a plane with my Macbook Pro 13" and the files open on my 27" iMac detached and arranged like they were on the MBP.

Proboscis

23 Sep 2021

FYI when I run detached screens (all three separate), across two monitors, the positions are saved when I re-open a project file.

R12, Windows10

guitfnky

23 Sep 2021

it doesn’t surprise me that components maximized on separate screens open the way they should. presumably all that takes is saving the screen it’s on and the maximized state. I’m glad that works, but I’m talking about a single screen, with components sized to fit how I like (rack and sequencer take up most of the right side of the screen—the mixer is just 4 channels + master channel, at the left). it still behaves exactly as it used to in 11, which is to say, it doesn’t work as you’d expect.

this seriously should not be difficult stuff.

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

I think that you will be waiting for Win 11 which seems to have simplified the already in-existence Window Locating on Desktop thingie that will be increasingly needed for people with UberGigga Total 16kHD screens to let a super-wide behave like it is several screens.

Google locking windows to part of the screen. It is a bit of a PITA in Win10 but I think Win11 will make that easier - and maybe persist past closing/reopening.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

AttenuationHz

28 Sep 2021

Not too sure why it is not working for you. All I know is it works as expected for me. The template I have saved is the default project, this is what is opened every time I open Reason, no need to change window positions when I start a new project the positions are saved with the template. Even if I do change the window positions, with Rack and Mixer detached it will open where it saved.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information