Reason performance question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Barriott

20 Sep 2021

Hi. I'm really not into the computer side of things. After months of mulling things over I finally got myself a new laptop

Specs:
intel i7 10510u
16gb ram
SSD 1tb
Graphics card :
Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen

It's a considerable upgrade from my previous laptop. However, I've noticed my cpu / DSP meter is running pretty hot. Songs that my previous laptop ran fairly easily this seems to be struggling a little bit.

It's worth noting that I've just updated to reason 12.

Are there known performance issues with reason 12?

Or have I fucked up and bought badly?

Really could use your help. I'm really not that good with computers.

Thanks

jamespember
Reason Studios

20 Sep 2021

Barriott wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Hi. I'm really not into the computer side of things. After months of mulling things over I finally got myself a new laptop

Specs:
intel i7 10510u
16gb ram
SSD 1tb
Graphics card :
Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen

It's a considerable upgrade from my previous laptop. However, I've noticed my cpu / DSP meter is running pretty hot. Songs that my previous laptop ran fairly easily this seems to be struggling a little bit.

Thanks
Hey. We are absolutely experiencing performance issues with Reason 12 - so we really apologise for that. We are working really hard on it, we've released some fixes already to beta testers and hope to get something out for everyone as soon as we possibly can.

Barriott

20 Sep 2021

Ah phew!! Thank you for the quick reply. I'm running one instance of reason drum kit and I'm at around 50% DSP!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2021

I think despite reason 12 having some problems (i have a 10% increase in CPU and DSP load through out my projects) the CPU you've chosen is not the best option for a DAW (any daw imho).

Intel IX XXXXU's are low energy CPU's that are imho not suitable for music, they have a very low single core speed and even at 4 cores they are really not vey efficient for music. For comparison, my 7-year desktop surpasses that CPU by about 1000+ points on PassMark. With such a low singe core speed this is not a good sight!

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 2275vs3549

Can you try 4 things:

1 - Run a project in your old laptop and reason 12 if possible and in the new laptop and compare.
2 - Instal reason 11 in the new laptop and compare the same project
3 - Check your dsp settings. I find odd that you have such a high dsp just with a Reason Drumkit, so check for multi core (it should be active).
4 - Check windows energy settings and always use the charger. Low energy CPU's throttle really fast, so you must always use the charger and set your energy plan for high performance.

Good Luck!

PS.: That laptop might be ok for other stuff and even for reason on some live work with small projects. If you're able to return it, check gaming laptops. If you can't, maybe a good idea is to build/buy a desktop for music and keep that laptop for when you're not home. Anyway, for Reason and most daws and regarding CPU you should alway aim for a High single core and a high cpu count.

miyaru

20 Sep 2021

All above is true: normal laptops are not suited for this kind of work. I have a quad core i5 laptop, and it sucks on DAW's. It is nice for "normal things" though. As stated, return it if possible.

I have an old i7-7700 desktop that outperformes here.......

Also often, throtling cannot be disabled in the BIOS of such laptops.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

ProfessaKaos

21 Sep 2021

Try unchecking the "use hyper-threading audio rendering" threading in Reason preferences Audio section.

I have always found setting these 3 options to how they are in the image to work best on all my computers.

Making the buffer size bigger/larger will also help, but will intro delay/latency, so not ideal for recording or playing midi, ideal for mixing or mastering.
Attachments
Reason audio preferences.PNG
Reason audio preferences.PNG (4.45 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Neo

21 Sep 2021

jamespember wrote:
20 Sep 2021
Barriott wrote:
20 Sep 2021

Specs:
intel i7 10510u
16gb ram
SSD 1tb
Graphics card :
Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen

Thanks
Hey. We are absolutely experiencing performance issues with Reason 12 - so we really apologise for that. We are working really hard on it, we've released some fixes already to beta testers and hope to get something out for everyone as soon as we possibly can.
Cheers gents.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Barriott

21 Sep 2021

mcatalao wrote:
20 Sep 2021
I think despite reason 12 having some problems (i have a 10% increase in CPU and DSP load through out my projects) the CPU you've chosen is not the best option for a DAW (any daw imho).

Intel IX XXXXU's are low energy CPU's that are imho not suitable for music, they have a very low single core speed and even at 4 cores they are really not vey efficient for music. For comparison, my 7-year desktop surpasses that CPU by about 1000+ points on PassMark. With such a low singe core speed this is not a good sight!

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 2275vs3549

Can you try 4 things:

1 - Run a project in your old laptop and reason 12 if possible and in the new laptop and compare.
2 - Instal reason 11 in the new laptop and compare the same project
3 - Check your dsp settings. I find odd that you have such a high dsp just with a Reason Drumkit, so check for multi core (it should be active).
4 - Check windows energy settings and always use the charger. Low energy CPU's throttle really fast, so you must always use the charger and set your energy plan for high performance.

Good Luck!

PS.: That laptop might be ok for other stuff and even for reason on some live work with small projects. If you're able to return it, check gaming laptops. If you can't, maybe a good idea is to build/buy a desktop for music and keep that laptop for when you're not home. Anyway, for Reason and most daws and regarding CPU you should alway aim for a High single core and a high cpu count.
Appreciate that thanks

I benchmarked it and it's around 6900 and 2400 for single core. Reason studios suggest anything over 4000 would run it. 😭

• Information