Will you upgrade @199 for future releases

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How many major versions will you skip?

Poll ended at 17 Nov 2021

Upgrade no matter what
5%
Undecided it depends what will be in a major version
40%
Skip 1 release
3%
Skip 2 or more
5%
Reason is no longer going to be purchased
15%
Already upgraded to 12, Upgrade no matter what
3%
Already upgraded to 12, Undecided it depends what will be in a major version
19%
Already upgraded to 12, Skip next release
3%
Already upgraded to 12, Skip 2 or more
3%
Already upgraded to 12, Reason is no longer going to be purchased
4%

Total votes: 149
AttenuationHz

18 Sep 2021

This is a follow up poll to the new pricing of Reason. Choose an option that best represents how many Releases you will/won't skip because of the new pricing. Bearing in mind that we currently do not know if the transparency of a roadmap will be something that will continue to be communicated - vote on the price alone, if you think it will be a deciding factor to upgrade to a major version, i.e. Reason 13 is a major version. If you already upgraded in grace period or got sale price or upgraded because of price increase choose that option.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Noise
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2021

Thb i need the option "only when the 200€ justify the improvements". I'm not counting the "skips", who knows, maybe the next paid update will be out of this earth. I just need the justification.

Edit:
Ok, maybe the "Already upgraded to 12, Undecided it depends what will be in a major version" is my option ,😀
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Oper-8

18 Sep 2021

+1 on @Noise's post. $129 for an incomplete and buggy version is already utterly disrespectful, but asking $70 more for the future is simply considering users as cash cows.
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

AttenuationHz

18 Sep 2021

Undecided meaning you don't know if a roadmap is going to communicated for major releases, if not it is a skip?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Jackjackdaw

18 Sep 2021

I will want to upgrade but I’m not paying £199. if it comes on sale or I can get a good deal somewhere and the features are good then maybe.

selig
RE Developer

18 Sep 2021

Can't say without knowing what I get for that amount. If it's worth it, I'll do it - if not, I won't.
Selig Audio, LLC

AttenuationHz

18 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Can't say without knowing what I get for that amount. If it's worth it, I'll do it - if not, I won't.
So undecided

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Same.

I'm sure they'll throw more into the mix to make $199 attractive, I'm just not sure they could do that without creating entirely new content.

PSoames

18 Sep 2021

I suspect, the next trick in the "squeeze your customer", playbook will be upgrade price bands based on the base version.

12 to 13 £199
11 to 13 £245
10 to 13 £299
9 to 13 - full price
Pre 9 to 13 - your everlasting soul!

AttenuationHz

18 Sep 2021

PSoames wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I suspect, the next trick in the "squeeze your customer", playbook will be upgrade price bands based on the base version.

12 to 13 £199
11 to 13 £245
10 to 13 £299
9 to 13 - full price
Pre 9 to 13 - your everlasting soul!
Pure evil :twisted:

Rising Night Wave

18 Sep 2021

+1 to 1.

haha
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Jackjackdaw

18 Sep 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
18 Sep 2021

+1 to 1.

haha
I kick up a fuss but that is probably the truth 😭

raymondh

18 Sep 2021

I used to always have the mindset of automatically updating every time a new release comes out.
I like staying current and Reason being a core platform for me.

That mindset has now changed so I will treat Reason like say Arturia where I'll assess each release on it's merits.

Unfortunately Reason Studio's commercial decisions around their own platform also affect my view on buying third party Rack Extensions because I no longer want to be locked-in to the Reason ecosystem and buying Rack Extensions makes Reason more "sticky". Now if a new rack extension comes out the first thing I do is see if it's also available as a VST instrument.

That said, I still love using Reason rack plugin and use it a lot for processing sounds - especially love Pulveriser, Scream, the SSL devices, audiomatic, synchronous,.... and go-to Rack extensions Echobode, Selig Leveler, Synapse Deep Reverb, Fat Space, Model 90 phaser (actually everything Synapse), JP Chenille and my go-to refills Kings of Kong and Way Beyond Fairlight.

gullum

18 Sep 2021

I have already updated to 12 but I don't know the future so I am undecided I might skip 1 or 2 I might never make music again by the time of next release, I might not even be alive on October 1.

BRIGGS

18 Sep 2021

199 dirty fiat garbage notes
r11s

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2021

I'm just gonna wait until it's free 🤣👌

BRIGGS

18 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I'm just gonna wait until it's free 🤣👌
:thumbs_up: Reminds me that Fortnight is free to play...you just pay for 'in game' content.

Kids love it. :puf_smile:
r11s

Faastwalker

18 Sep 2021

Needs an option for ‘Reason + Subscriber’, in which case upgrade and its cost is a moot point as we have it regardless. For me this is the whole point of the price hike. It’s clearly designed to drive more people towards a subscription. I can’t see any other reason for it. Anyway, I think it makes it an important factor in the context of this poll.

AttenuationHz

19 Sep 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Needs an option for ‘Reason + Subscriber’, in which case upgrade and its cost is a moot point as we have it regardless. For me this is the whole point of the price hike. It’s clearly designed to drive more people towards a subscription. I can’t see any other reason for it. Anyway, I think it makes it an important factor in the context of this poll.
Reason+ subscribers are not effected by the price increase to upgrade from a previous version of the perpetual license. Its inclusion would be irrelevant as the increase is to upgrade. :?

EpiGenetik

19 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Reason+ subscribers are not effected by the price increase to upgrade from a previous version of the perpetual license. Its inclusion would be irrelevant as the increase is to upgrade. :?
Exactly why it should be included - the relevance of the poll itself needs to be guaged.

MarkTarlton

19 Sep 2021

199 is too much for a typical Reason upgrade, if they take care of pretty much every request that a basic DAW has it might be worth it, but I just don't have a good outlook at this point moving forward. Time will tell, these past couple days have been a roller coaster of a ride. I've avoided the last couple upgrades, and I will continue to do so. I have what I need, and am done with spending anymore on their platform in it's current state. I feel disappointed, but time has a way of changing things...

Faastwalker

19 Sep 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
19 Sep 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Exactly my point about not being affected. Which is why I thought it was relevant to this discussion. The price increase would seem to be designed to push people towards the subscription model. Subscription is the only way to get Reason NOT affected by the price increase. I think the idea is to make the subscription option look like better value against buying Reason or the upgrade. Buying the upgrade is now the same price as an annual subscription. So the balance has been tipped somewhat. I'm a Reason subscriber, I have a vote .......... I demand my voting option!!! :lol:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2021

Well it depends. For me it's not so much longer a matter of what new features they'll bring, it's become matter of trust. When RS made the choice to release/sell R12 in the unfinished state that it is, full of problems without being upfront about it, where people have to resort back to older versions, it made me lose a lot of trust in them. And the decision to raise the upgrade price before they'll have a chance to finish their product isn't helping either. Now I feel like I'm being pressured into buying it, which only makes me even less willing to upgrade.
I find the whole thing rather disrespectful. I'm having a hard time coming up with excuses for how the R12 release has been handled.
So yeah in my case, it's not about the features themselves, if I see RS continuing this behavior of selling unfinished beta versions without being clear about their products state, I'll most likely stop supporting them.
Finish your product first, then sell it. In that order.

plaamook

19 Sep 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
19 Sep 2021
The price increase would seem to be designed to push people towards the subscription model. Subscription is the only way to get Reason NOT affected by the price increase. I think the idea is to make the subscription option look like better value against buying Reason or the upgrade. Buying the upgrade is now the same price as an annual subscription.
But it's not the same price. Even if they come out with an upgrade every year it's still cheaper to upgrade manually.
Also, the subscription model doesn't look good to people (like me) for other reasons than just price. I don't want to be locked in like that, strapped to internet log in. I don't want to have to pay for every device they've made and I really don't want all the sound packs. In fact at the mo I just can't really afford it full stop.

Whatever, I'm curious about this new direction they seem to be projecting.
I picked up R12 upgrade for next to nothing but I'm gonna wait to install it for obvs reasons.
Generally I'm inclined to have a little faith. If it's the end of Reason, so be it, but I'm gonna enjoy the ride while it lasts and try n stay positive.
For me they seem to have survived yet another upgrade but only just. The next one, the ACTUAL 199 deal is gonna be pretty high stakes for everyone.
And there's nowhere left to go but the sequencer...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Jagwah

19 Sep 2021

I would be over the moon if future releases had a ton of content in them and would gladly pay the US $200 price tag. Unfortunately we can already see the R12 roadmap and it does not seem that promising.

I can't help but imagine where the hell Reason would be if it wasn't for all those god damn side ventures, alihoopaloop and all that endless failed nonsense, talk about thorns in our sides, some of us here have been begging for features for so many damn years yet all they would ever do is be like 'Hey, we're doing this stuff now,' after we waited years at a time to hear some word about the wanted features, then more years, then more years and so on. I doubt FL Studio and Live did stuff like that, I bet they just focused on the DAW and that was the end of the story - how friggen awesome.

It would have been better if Reason 13 was a much bigger upgrade with the bigger price tag, instead of hitting us with it now, with the 'promised' features in the roadmap which show us exactly how big they consider a US $200 upgrade is.

A good analogy is Pringles. I don't know what they look like in your country / city but here, the can has been increasingly getting thinner and thinner over the years while the price slowly increases along with everything else. A companies wet dream - sell less of the product for more money. It's like they think consumers are as stupid as a plank of wood. We can see clear as day that can is laughably really thin now, it happened very slowly over the years, but now it stands out clear as day. The supermarket sells their own version, cheaper and as big as the original size and they sell like hot cakes and just make it even more laughable. If any Aussies here remember / know Explorer men's socks, when you wore them new it was as if you bounced when you walked, such was the thickness and quality of the material, and they always cost much more than the rest but you knew you were getting quality for that money - now they are the same if not a slightly higher price - and they are as thin as a piece of sh*t!

• Information