REASON AUDIO CRACKLE AND PERFORMANCE

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Hypno2001

18 Sep 2021

HI Guys

I have a problem, just 5 vsts in the rack then sounds cracks and crackles like there is heavy load and processing.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
32GB RAM
1TB SSD
4TB HDD
Radeon RX570 4GB OC Graphics
Windows 10 Pro

Reason 11, recent update . I am on Audient ID14 MKII

ANyone experiencing this

Ottostrom

18 Sep 2021

I am currently experiencing some strange audio crackle and have opened a ticket for it.
Try turning off the setting "Use multi-core audio rendering" and see if that helps.

For me the crackle appears if I have that setting enabled but my project file is not CPU intense. If I have a larger project open the setting needs to be enabled or else my DSP meter goes through the roof, but in those projects there is no crackle.

PhillipOrdonez

18 Sep 2021

Also try hyperthreading off.

Or try increasing the buffer.

Noise
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2021

Check also the power savings mode. I always say this tip, but it's a crackling nightmare the "balanced mode" of Windowz.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

cocoazenith

20 Sep 2021

This is retarded programming. I have the same issues in Reason 11 and Reason 12 on pretty good Apple Machines. A 2017 Quad-core i5 iMac with Radeon Graphics and the new Mac Mini M1. Crackling, pops, stutters and audio interruptions every now and then. These issues are more present when I just switch from the Reason window to another window like the Safari web browser or the Activity Monitor.

The only solution I've found on both the Mac Mini M1 and the iMac is to disable the multi-core option. But working with only one core doesn't seem to be a viable solution on the long term.

While I understand that the M1 chip might have issues with the multi-core option I don't understand how the Intel iMac has. I mean wasn't this multi-core option designed specifically for computers with Intel chips?

Hypno2001

20 Sep 2021

cocoazenith wrote:
20 Sep 2021
This is retarded programming. I have the same issues in Reason 11 and Reason 12 on pretty good Apple Machines. A 2017 Quad-core i5 iMac with Radeon Graphics and the new Mac Mini M1. Crackling, pops, stutters and audio interruptions every now and then. These issues are more present when I just switch from the Reason window to another window like the Safari web browser or the Activity Monitor.

The only solution I've found on both the Mac Mini M1 and the iMac is to disable the multi-core option. But working with only one core doesn't seem to be a viable solution on the long term.

While I understand that the M1 chip might have issues with the multi-core option I don't understand how the Intel iMac has. I mean wasn't this multi-core option designed specifically for computers with Intel chips?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO ASSIST, I HAVE IMPLEMENTED YOUR ADVICE, I WILL UPDATE YOU, this is horrible in deed :-(

Hypno2001

20 Sep 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
18 Sep 2021
I am currently experiencing some strange audio crackle and have opened a ticket for it.
Try turning off the setting "Use multi-core audio rendering" and see if that helps.

For me the crackle appears if I have that setting enabled but my project file is not CPU intense. If I have a larger project open the setting needs to be enabled or else my DSP meter goes through the roof, but in those projects there is no crackle.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO ASSIST, I HAVE IMPLEMENTED YOUR ADVICE, I WILL UPDATE YOU, this is horrible in deed :-(

Hypno2001

20 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Sep 2021

Hypno2001

20 Sep 2021

Noise wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Check also the power savings mode. I always say this tip, but it's a crackling nightmare the "balanced mode" of Windowz.

wwwobbler

13 Nov 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
18 Sep 2021
Thanks for the advice! I just realised that the crackling disappeared when following this tip (running a M1 Mac mini, 16 Gb RAM, broken USB C-monitor connection, under Monterey 12.0.1).

cheers,
Markus

wwwobbler

13 Nov 2021

Nah … spoke too soon. Opening up another project containing several VST:s and whatnot renders a LOT of crackling and unwanted noise. Mind you, that same project played back well earlier on my 2016 iMac.

Hypno2001

13 Nov 2021

wwwobbler wrote:
13 Nov 2021
Nah … spoke too soon. Opening up another project containing several VST:s and whatnot renders a LOT of crackling and unwanted noise. Mind you, that same project played back well earlier on my 2016 iMac.

I know how frustrating this is . With me i disabled Multi-core audio rendering and it seems im fine now, and i can tell you i run heavy vst's and many of them at a go in Reason. Try disabling hyper-threading audio and also try it with it abled and see

Ottostrom

13 Nov 2021

wwwobbler wrote:
13 Nov 2021
Yeah that's the annoying part :/
For projects with more things going on you'll have to enable that multi-core option while in emptier projects you have to disable it. And for really heavy projects I have to enable the hyper-threading option as well to avoid crackle so it's a constant switching around with these..

Hypno2001

15 Nov 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
13 Nov 2021
wwwobbler wrote:
13 Nov 2021
Yeah that's the annoying part :/
For projects with more things going on you'll have to enable that multi-core option while in emptier projects you have to disable it. And for really heavy projects I have to enable the hyper-threading option as well to avoid crackle so it's a constant switching around with these..
Im so sorry, this is honestly disadvantaging programming from the developers, and i want to upgrade my 11 to 12, so this is really a red flag.

kitekrazy

16 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Sep 2021

I'd never want to do that.

Buffer size was not mentioned.

What plugins are being used? I've come across situations were a plugin will have an issue in a certain DAW.

Too bad we don't have the option to download a project file for others to test and see if others are experiencing the same thing.

Pepin

16 Nov 2021

You might want to enable Options -> Show CPU Load for Devices, just in case one particular plugin is spiking.

PhillipOrdonez

17 Nov 2021

kitekrazy wrote:
16 Nov 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
18 Sep 2021

What plugins are being used? I've come across situations were a plugin will have an issue in a certain DAW.

Too bad we don't have the option to download a project file for others to test and see if others are experiencing the same thing.
Sounds like you aren't aware of how some machines work better with Reason hyperthreading setting on and others with it off.

Buffer size can prevent crackle on projects the processor struggles, that's why I mention the buffer if nobody had mentioned it before.

🤨

kitekrazy

17 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Nov 2021
kitekrazy wrote:
16 Nov 2021

Sounds like you aren't aware of how some machines work better with Reason hyperthreading setting on and others with it off.

Buffer size can prevent crackle on projects the processor struggles, that's why I mention the buffer if nobody had mentioned it before.

🤨
More like stunned that any DAW would ever have that behavior. I have lots of software that uses HT, I'd ditch a DAW before removing HT,

jam-s

17 Nov 2021

HT, which is just adding virtual cores so the real hardware cores can do some other task while waiting on IO, is pretty useless for high performance realtime audio processing. It might even worsen the DSP performance due to badly scheduled context switches.
So that dogmatism of yours doesn't make much sense to me.

• Information