New Pricing for Reason 12 - Upgrades now 199 from 129

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What do you think about the Reason price increase?

Poll ended at 15 Oct 2021

The price isn’t a factor for me
5%
It’s still a bargain
1%
It’s about what I’d expect
6%
It’s kind of steep
20%
It’s way too much
68%

Total votes: 297
CaptainBlack

15 Sep 2021

Any company that announces a 50% price increase had better have a damn good reason (cough). Otherwise that's just gouging.

But I'm going to do what I did for the last couple of underwhelming upgrades: ask myself if there are £199 worth of changes (probably not) and then wait till it might become worthwhile.

Might I suggest you do what other companies do - charge less if you're upgrading from a newer version? It makes no sense that someone upgrading from Reason 11 pays the same as Reason 5 owners.

And talking of R5, a newer ship flying the skull and crossbones has recently been spotted.
Last edited by CaptainBlack on 15 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

15 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Hahahahaha. R12 for €70. To infinity and beyond.
12 to the end.
Where d'ya get the upgrade at that price? and it used to be (not seen it of late) like in U.K money, £11 less through Amazon but not till a couple of months or so after release. Maybe it'll be substantially less through Amazon in the new year.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Carpainter

15 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
15 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
15 Sep 2021
12 to the end.
Where d'ya get the upgrade at that price? and it used to be (not seen it of late) like in U.K money, £11 less through Amazon but not till a couple of months or so after release. Maybe it'll be substantially less through Amazon in the new year.
Probably JRRShop. They had a 20% discount promotion around the time Props announced you would get a free upgrade to Reason 12 if you purchased the Reason 11 upgrade after a certain date. I paid $80 for the upgrade to 11 and 12.

helmutson

15 Sep 2021

They (RS) really do everything to push away the last loyal customers ! Well done RS :thumbs_up: :(

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
15 Sep 2021
MrFigg wrote:
15 Sep 2021
12 to the end.
I bought it on JRRShop when RS had a sale on R11 upgrade (€99 with free upgrade to 12).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Creativemind

15 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
15 Sep 2021

Yeah FL Studio is well dear with their lifetime free updates. Isn't Logic free lifetime updates too or was someone fibbing on here ages ago?
Logic is $200 for every version, no upgrade path. But the versions last forever and continually receive updates. Current version of Logic is 10.6.3 and 10 was released 2013.
Thanks Joey. :thumbs_up:

Chi-Individual

15 Sep 2021

R11 Suite Upgrade still available at B&H $249 if people at least want to get in with the included RE's before the price goes up.

cymek74

15 Sep 2021

I can't even run R12 because of the bad performance, and the RRP is crashing Renoise and Studio One. I also can't open the RRP within Metaplugin or Element within Reason without it crashing. At least get your shit working before announcing a price increase. Back on R11, should have stayed there.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

Jackjackdaw

15 Sep 2021

What?! I thought £129 was pushing it. There is no freaking way I'm paying £199 for a Reason update, ever. Lol.

MarkTarlton

15 Sep 2021

It's fresh news, so it might sting for some that don't like change that much. Some of my first thoughts were already mentioned, but I'll list them anyway.

1 - Not as many RE's being developed currently
2 - Reason Subscription Model will get more subscribers potentially
3 - Reason and RE's are now on torrent sites
4 - It's been a while since they raised their prices

Creativemind

15 Sep 2021

MrFigg wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Creativemind wrote:
15 Sep 2021

I bought it on JRRShop when RS had a sale on R11 upgrade (€99 with free upgrade to 12).
:thumbs_up:

pushedbutton

15 Sep 2021

£129 in 2001 money is worth £218.86 in 2021 money.
A pound today only buys 58.94% of what it could buy back then.
So ... if you think reason 12 is at least 58.94% of a good update, buy it now before the price goes up.
Or, if you feel you'd rather wait for 100% of a good update, just remind yourself that £199 in 2001 money is only £117.29.
Now where did I put that flux capacitor?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

BRIGGS

15 Sep 2021

r11s

gullum

15 Sep 2021

I have already upgraded so for me going to 13 needs something really amazing or will I need up upgrade then? I payed $129 for Hi-res Combinator 2 and Mimic I will not be using much I know. I don't think I would pay $199 for hi res though.

Popey
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

So from the 1st October it will only be £40 a year more to get reason+ than a 12 perpetual licence. Granted a perpetual licence you would assume would be more than 12 months until version 13 appeared but it does close the gap. Will the reason+ price see the same percentage increase, the blog appears to say not at this point.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

I was on the fence already and this made the choice so much easier. R11 is where I'll stay.
It would be good if they actually had a finished working product to sell before they decided to increase the price.
There's no way I'll upgrade in the state R12 is currently in, where some people have to resort back to old versions just to be able to make music.

Oh well, I guess I have enough stuff already. Maybe next time.

jam-s

15 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021
“they’re charging more so there must be something really good in the works” thought process is very telling—an indicator that one is aware that R12 isn’t much, despite what they may have been saying.

this mindset is also baffling. “it’s cool that they’re going to charge more now because hopefully that means they’ll give us more stuff later”. WAT?
Yes, that reads pretty much Stockholm syndrome to me to read that much positivism into the price increase. I suppose it's just to make the value proposition that is in the subscription look less bad in comparison. Also it's a nice middle finger for all those on R11 who could not take advantage on the "upgrade to R11 cheap and get R12 free" and now have to pay either the regular price or take the raise and hope for some big 50%+ off sale during Black Friday.

Looks like "no Reason 12 until the grace period for R13 starts" would be the proper answer to this raise, because I highly doubt they will iron out all the bugs in the next two weeks... And paying for a meagre upgrade (bugs, mixer inserts, unfinsched features) is not in my interest.

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

adfielding wrote:
15 Sep 2021
I have no problem with RS increasing the upgrade price - that's their perogative, and it's up to us as users to decide whether or not it's worth it. However, I take a little umbrage with this.
Reason came out in the year 2000. You know when the last price increase was? Never
That is flat-out untrue. I was bought the Reason 2 upgrade in 2002 as a(n awesome) Christmas present from my folks for £68 - not from a third party retailer, but directly from the PropShop. I know this because it's listed under my orders. But, hey - don't take my word for it: this SOS article from 2005 also lists the Reason 3 upgrade price as being £69 which, accounting for inflation, would be about £96 now.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pr ... -reason-v3
That's pounds ... which would have been around $100 if purchased in November/December and would be $150 today (USD inflation, not GBP).

With that in mind, this is a $50 increase in dollar pricing with inflation taken into account (approx £144, but it would be priced much more than that in GBP). And in the UK, we've had the largest increase in price because they chose to set the prices perceptually rather than a straight exchange from USD, so it's always cheaper in the US and much more expensive in the GBP.

$100 does sound about right. I think I first purchased Reason around March 2003 or 2004.

guitfnky

15 Sep 2021

at least they were smart enough to not announce it with a Ryan video. 😂
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

CaptainBlack wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Any company that announces a 50% price increase had better have a damn good reason (cough). Otherwise that's just gouging.

But I'm going to do what I did for the last couple of underwhelming upgrades: ask myself if there are £199 worth of changes (probably not) and then wait till it might become worthwhile.

Might I suggest you do what other companies do - charge less if you're upgrading from a newer version? It makes no sense that someone upgrading from Reason 11 pays the same as Reason 5 owners.

And talking of R5, a newer ship flying the skull and crossbones has recently been spotted.
Well, there was a crossgrade offer to get Bitwig for $200 a couple of days ago.

These price points make us have to question whether it's best to get a better alternative.

You've got R+ for $20 but:
1. Presonus Sphere is $15/mo.
2. EWQL Gold HD is $20/mo.
3. Roland Cloud is $5/mo, giving you all the SRX expansion sounds, $10/mo giving you that plus more synths as well as weekly Zenology packs.

At £200, unless its feature set is rich enough, you have to ask yourself whether you should just get something else on offer. If you're savvy, you can get Studio One professional plus a really good audio interface (or the Atom controller) for a little bit extra.

And R12 is not ready to spend £200. That's a price hike that should have only come after it was complete enough to justify the price.

ethday

15 Sep 2021

I think I'm falling out of love with this company. I mean, I'll still fool around with them, but I'm not sure I can stay married.

illc75243

15 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
15 Sep 2021
CaptainBlack wrote:
15 Sep 2021

Well, there was a crossgrade offer to get Bitwig for $200 a couple of days ago.

These price points make us have to question whether it's best to get a better alternative.

You've got R+ for $20 but:
1. Presonus Sphere is $15/mo.
2. EWQL Gold HD is $20/mo.
3. Roland Cloud is $5/mo, giving you all the SRX expansion sounds, $10/mo giving you that plus more synths as well as weekly Zenology packs.

At £200, unless its feature set is rich enough, you have to ask yourself whether you should just get something else on offer. If you're savvy, you can get Studio One professional plus a really good audio interface (or the Atom controller) for a little bit extra.

And R12 is not ready to spend £200. That's a price hike that should have only come after it was complete enough to justify the price.
Can you explain how to get the Studio One Pro and Atom controller deal? I was just about to pull the trigger on getting the Studio One crossgrade for $300 but it sounds like you know of a better deal.

BRIGGS

15 Sep 2021

Bitcoin averaging 200% gains per year... I put the $129 into BTC instead....then wait 2 years = $516

$516 - $199 = $317

That's an R13 license + $317 to buy some awesome rack extensions.
r11s

Emian

15 Sep 2021

ethday wrote:
15 Sep 2021
I think I'm falling out of love with this company. I mean, I'll still fool around with them, but I'm not sure I can stay married.

My toughts exactly... loyal user since version 6.5 here.... it went downhill after 10, and on a pretty steep slope...

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

Goes to show they do listen to us 😜
WOO wrote:
08 Apr 2021
My guess is its going to cost $199.00
If you suggest it here, it will be considered. Just like the talk about subscriptions... "Will they do it?" "Would you subscribe?" and then we had Reason+

Keeping my eye on the threads about RS being sold to Apple 👀😂

• Information