New Pricing for Reason 12 - Upgrades now 199 from 129

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What do you think about the Reason price increase?

Poll ended at 15 Oct 2021

The price isn’t a factor for me
5%
It’s still a bargain
1%
It’s about what I’d expect
6%
It’s kind of steep
20%
It’s way too much
68%

Total votes: 297
stp2015

15 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Maybe this is also in prep to include Reason in the rewards section? Which if included there, that would be great.

If they can fix the rewards section by removing the point cap per purchase, and include Reason upgrades, that would drive it to be more successful IMO.

And if after fixing the rewards program and then if including rewards for subscribing to Reason+, that would make subscribing so much more enticing and keep more people subscribed to keep earning those points.
Maybe? Maybe it is also part of a plan to give away free midi keyboards with Reason integration in the future. Or maybe they are also doing this to give every long-time Reason user a voucher for 2 free rack extensions of their choice.

Either you have some inside information - in which case you should let us know. Or you are just making up some potential scenario for which there is absolutely no evidence. In that case what you wrote is completely pointless.

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

stp2015 wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Haha, Reason 12 upgrade for 199 hahaha

I love those pixelated HD browser logos, nice retro style for 2021.
To be fair, the price increase isn't until Oct 1. People can reassess for many of the jokes and jabs then lol. I hope for their sake, they at least get fixes done by then.

stp2015

15 Sep 2021

The HD logos are obviously the smallest part, but IMO a very funny one. I have already fixed some of them myself, by going into the reason folder and replacing them.

client6

15 Sep 2021

...incredibly R12 has gotten even less interesting.

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

stp2015 wrote:
15 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Maybe this is also in prep to include Reason in the rewards section? Which if included there, that would be great.

If they can fix the rewards section by removing the point cap per purchase, and include Reason upgrades, that would drive it to be more successful IMO.

And if after fixing the rewards program and then if including rewards for subscribing to Reason+, that would make subscribing so much more enticing and keep more people subscribed to keep earning those points.
Maybe? Maybe it is also part of a plan to give away free midi keyboards with Reason integration in the future. Or maybe they are also doing this to give every long-time Reason user a voucher for 2 free rack extensions of their choice.

Either you have some inside information - in which case you should let us know. Or you are just making up some potential scenario for which there is absolutely no evidence. In that case what you wrote is completely pointless.
I am a regular user here with speculation like everyone else which is followed by a question mark.

Please tell me we need a rule I which everybody here needs evidence in order to speculate. It would make our jobs at moderators so much easier! 😂

stp2015

15 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021
stp2015 wrote:
15 Sep 2021

I am a regular user here with speculation like everyone else which is followed by a question mark.

Please tell me we need a rule I which everybody here needs evidence in order to speculate. It would make our jobs at moderators so much easier! 😂
That's fine. I am not trying to prevent you from speculating / forbid you to do so. I am just evaluating how useful I find that speculation.

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

stp2015 wrote:
15 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021

That's fine. I am not trying to prevent you from speculating / forbid you to do so. I am just evaluating how useful I find that speculation.
For me, it's hopeful. With the other thread going in which they are reevaluating the rewards program, in which James acknowledges that users want to see Reason included in the rewards shop... I'd love to buy more REs to earn points towards Reason.

Emian

15 Sep 2021

i bought the upgrade from 10 to 11 (and free 12 in september) for 70€ in may trough JRR shop with forum-discount and still believe that was merely worth it.

This price-increase is insane and not worth it at all, concidering the state 12 is in atm... it's purely forcing everyone to their subscription model, which i am all against.

I'm glad i got myself some Elektron hardware this year. at least they listen to their user-base & have a great positive community.

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Carpainter

15 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Well, by keeping the price at $129 for 20 years, the upgrade price has been going down each year.

$200 today is worth a little less than $129 in 2000.
Upgrades used to cost $99.

You also have to take into consideration that you got everything when you upgraded back then. Now they withhold devices and sell them as Rack Extensions.

stp2015

15 Sep 2021

From what I read here and on Facebook, I would say they are quite likely misjudging people's willingness to pay more. As one poster wrote above, a higher price will not make them more profitable. It depends on the elasticity.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

15 Sep 2021

They're capitalizing on fear of missing out to squeeze perpetual license holders into upgrading. I upgraded a few days ago for $160 CAD, but there's no way I would've paid $260 CAD for this upgrade. Mind you I'm not upset about this. I've got hi res now and the ability to move on with the RRP, but I doubt I'm going to throw more money their way and certainly not into the RE ecosystem. I've got more synths and effects than I know what to do with now, and the DAW part of Reason is probably as good as it's going to get which in itself isn't terrible.

sonicbyte

15 Sep 2021

So... just speculating, let's say I upgrade to Reason 12 (I'm currently on R10), and the performance for me sucks (as happens to many others here), can I "downgrade" to Reason 10 later ? Or when upgrade I "lost" the old license?
I'm upgrading since R6 but never in my mind cross the idea to "downgrade" but this time I'm not sure... is possible to install R12 as demo and keep R10 installed on the same computer ? , I'm really worry about performance on my current setup with this new version

Thanks

stp2015

15 Sep 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
15 Sep 2021
So... just speculating, let's say I upgrade to Reason 12 (I'm currently on R10), and the performance for me sucks (as happens to many others here), can I "downgrade" to Reason 10 later ? Or when upgrade I "lost" the old license?
I'm upgrading since R6 but never in my mind cross the idea to "downgrade" but this time I'm not sure... is possible to install R12 as demo and keep R10 installed on the same computer ? , I'm really worry about performance on my current setup with this new version

Thanks
You should be able to downgrade to all old versions in your upgrade path.

StephenHutchinson

15 Sep 2021

huggermugger wrote:
15 Sep 2021
$269 CAD for a fancy Combinator and a sampler I won't use? I'll wait to see what's coming, thanks.
I was just about to check the Canadian exchange rate... but you beat me to it. :puf_smile: The pricing... wow.. just wow.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

stp2015

15 Sep 2021

I would also like to add: I am not upset b/c I am losing money. I upgraded from 10 to 12 within the grace period via JRR. 10 to 12 for 99 USD was reasonably good value if they deliver what they have now promised (M1 support + VST3), and if they do those two things right. Not half-assed.

Some M1 implementations by other companies are fantastic in terms of their performance, some do not have good performance at all and are basically "native M1" only on paper. Let's see which path RS will pick
Last edited by stp2015 on 15 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
15 Sep 2021

Thanks
You can continue using Reason 10. You can uninstall and reinstall later, or leave it installed. You can demo R12 fully for 7 days or use it in demo mode.

sonicbyte

15 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021
sonicbyte wrote:
15 Sep 2021

Thanks
You can continue using Reason 10. You can uninstall and reinstall later, or leave it installed. You can demo R12 fully for 7 days or use it in demo mode.
Thanks, this will be my path then before upgrade...

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Sep 2021

I've been expecting this move from them for years. Doesn't bother me at all, I always bought only every second upgrade, and now I am on R+ subscription.

Creativemind

15 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
15 Sep 2021
I take this as: shit just got serious motherfuckers, the coming upgrades will blow your mind, they are going to be so good they cost more! 😎💪👍🎉
They'd have to be pretty mind blowing at that price.

I just commented over on Facebook that I think I'll probably never upgrade again. Can't justify that price. Probably just a ploy to get people to subscribe.

I mean, I only paid £240 (with student discount) in 2012 for the whole software and they want £199, wow. For that price, I'd want 3 times what they put in an update for that at least, not to mention atm, I can't afford it and won't have the money by Oct 1st. Even if I did, I'd still be reluctant to upgrade based on what they've already added and I don't have any faith they'll deliver on their roadmap. Not saying they won't but the proofs in the pudding. ;)

To give them credit though, they gave us warning to get it before the price hike but is that because sales have been weak?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

rootwheel

15 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
15 Sep 2021
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/reason-new-pricing
We wanted reach out and tell you that in two weeks time we will be increasing the price of Reason 12. If you own a previous version of Reason, the price to upgrade to Reason 12 will increase from $129 to $199 (£199, €199, CAD259), while the full version of Reason for new users will increase from $399 to $499 (£499, €499, CAD599). Oh, and if you have Intro/Lite, your price to upgrade will go from $299 to $399 (£399, €399, CAD489).
Bizarre to do this so soon after the Reason 12 launch. I'm wondering if they knew the new pricing would be an unpopular announcement, so purposefully decided to delay doing this until a short time after release, so it didn't ruin the launch or become part of the reviews. Having said that, this could instead be a knee-jerk reaction post-launch because Reason 12 just isn't selling as well as they had hoped. In addition CodeMeter has been compromised recently and is no longer able to protect their property any more, so perhaps jacking the prices up to make up for fewer perpetual sales does make sense - it also has the added bonus of perhaps encouraging more customers into the properly copy-protected Reason+ subscription model.

Only time will tell if all this is the right move for Reason in the marketplace...

Carpainter

15 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
15 Sep 2021
They'd have to be pretty mind blowing at that price.

I just commented over on Facebook that I think I'll probably never upgrade again. Can't justify that price. Probably just a ploy to get people to subscribe.

I mean, I only paid £240 (with student discount) in 2012 for the whole software and they want £199, wow. For that price, I'd want 3 times what they put in an update for that at least.
The only way I would pay that price for an upgrade is if they stopped selling devices in the Shop, which obviously isn't going to happen because access to premium Rack Extensions is Reason+'s only selling point.

Creativemind

15 Sep 2021

fieldframe wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Reason has long had one of the lowest upgrade prices in the DAW market.

Interesting strategy to leapfrog to the highest upgrade price in the market.
Yeah FL Studio is well dear with their lifetime free updates. Isn't Logic free lifetime updates too or was someone fibbing on here ages ago?

Creativemind

15 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021
rrrrggghhh…not a good look for such a feature-light release…they really should’ve waited until 12 was more substantial before announcing this. 🥲
Very well said. Would've held more steam if they did it in the new year after the Smart Browser, the M1 thing and VST 3 support then announced it just before a point version release date with actual workflow enhancing feature's announced beforehand.

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
15 Sep 2021
fieldframe wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Reason has long had one of the lowest upgrade prices in the DAW market.

Interesting strategy to leapfrog to the highest upgrade price in the market.
Yeah FL Studio is well dear with their lifetime free updates. Isn't Logic free lifetime updates too or was someone fibbing on here ages ago?
Logic is $200 for every version, no upgrade path. But the versions last forever and continually receive updates. Current version of Logic is 10.6.3 and 10 was released 2013.

adfielding

15 Sep 2021

I have no problem with RS increasing the upgrade price - that's their perogative, and it's up to us as users to decide whether or not it's worth it. However, I take a little umbrage with this.
Reason came out in the year 2000. You know when the last price increase was? Never
That is flat-out untrue. I was bought the Reason 2 upgrade in 2002 as a(n awesome) Christmas present from my folks for £68 - not from a third party retailer, but directly from the PropShop. I know this because it's listed under my orders. But, hey - don't take my word for it: this SOS article from 2005 also lists the Reason 3 upgrade price as being £69 which, accounting for inflation, would be about £96 now.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pr ... -reason-v3
Last edited by adfielding on 15 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

• Information