New Pricing for Reason 12 - Upgrades now 199 from 129

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What do you think about the Reason price increase?

Poll ended at 15 Oct 2021

The price isn’t a factor for me
5%
It’s still a bargain
1%
It’s about what I’d expect
6%
It’s kind of steep
20%
It’s way too much
68%

Total votes: 297
EnochLight

15 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Or you want to push your user base on to your new financing model
You mean subscription service? Raising the perpetual upgrade by $70 USD isn't a compelling Reason at all to subscribe, so I'd have to disagree.

artechokeheart wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Strongly disagree. They're as in denial about the state of their product as you seem be.

The lack of sales from R12 release, the refunds from upgrades to R12 given over performance issues and lack of sales increase despite releasing R+ AND R12 is why raising upgrade price is yet another detached marketing decision on how to limit collateral damage without doing anything constructive.

It was a slow decline until now, but I think it will be much faster now, despite the blind still lapping this up and thinking there must be something worth the price.

And I am sure that nothing is "selling like hotcakes".
And I strongly disagree with you. Again, if their product wasn't selling well (probably too well at the current price), it would make absolute zero sense to raise the price. People have been singing the downfall of Propellerhead/Reason Studios/Reason for well over a decade, yet they're still here - and apparently have more users than ever before. If that's a nail in the coffin, I guess death is extremely profitable these days.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

max|waves

15 Sep 2021

199€ for a bunch of bugs?
Ok.

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

Maybe this is also in prep to include Reason in the rewards section? Which if included there, that would be great.

If they can fix the rewards section by removing the point cap per purchase, and include Reason upgrades, that would drive it to be more successful IMO.

And if after fixing the rewards program and then if including rewards for subscribing to Reason+, that would make subscribing so much more enticing and keep more people subscribed to keep earning those points.

guitfnky

15 Sep 2021

“they’re charging more so there must be something really good in the works” thought process is very telling—an indicator that one is aware that R12 isn’t much, despite what they may have been saying.

this mindset is also baffling. “it’s cool that they’re going to charge more now because hopefully that means they’ll give us more stuff later”. WAT?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

15 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
15 Sep 2021
their financials suggest they've been doing fine actually.

they're solvent and have a decent amount of liquidity
^^ THIS ^^

And I'll add that even in the years that were rough, they still survived.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

avasopht
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021
“they’re charging more so there must be something really good in the works” thought process is very telling—an indicator that one is aware that R12 isn’t much, despite what they may have been saying.

this mindset is also baffling. “it’s cool that they’re going to charge more now because hopefully that means they’ll give us more stuff later”. WAT?
To give you more features more regularly, they would have to expand the team. That means more money spent on wages, and even increased rent if they need to move to a larger office.

The new staff would then have to spend time creating the features.

It's a very risk-averse proposition that I do think is a little tone-deaf.

This is, of course, assuming price inelsticity.

Kategra

15 Sep 2021

Surprising since the % of price increase for the upgrade it's almost twice the % of inflation rate for the whole last 20 years in Sweden..

Neo

15 Sep 2021

Most of us want R to be the best it can be. That said this has been the buggiest release to date (IMO!).
I'm sure faith will be restored when we get patch fixes and VST3 arrives in JAN. Right?..
129USD=180AUD
199USD=275AUD
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

BananaSkins

15 Sep 2021

max|waves wrote:
15 Sep 2021
199€ for a bunch of bugs?
Ok.
Somebody has to pay for all the overtime spent curing all these bugs…

My question?
Have R12 BUGS turned R12 users into MUGS? ;)

electricthing

15 Sep 2021

This is a stupid move to the customers. Don't like this big pricehike at all.
Seriously considering selling R12. Don't like to own software with a 199 upgrade price.
Last edited by electricthing on 15 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

15 Sep 2021

Hm...while i can understand this, i am not so amused by the new price. And tbh, i have to think about twice since the price is nearly the double now.

Tbh, i think i might skip one or two versions, except there is something i really want/need. I bought R11 mainly because auf curved automation :-D

Would be really nice, if we could spend reward points for it or if the sale prices would be competitive.

Since a few here might know me, i am a kind of "smart shopper" and only pay for stuff, which is worth the money for me and not for others. This can also mean, 200 bucks must be something...yea...i want/need, at least double the things when before, like maybe 2 times curved automation :-D

As an example, i now have/will skip the 2nd update of Rob Papen Explorer Bundle. Nothing really good, even for 100 bucks. Its not, that i dont have the 100 bucks, its just that i dont pay it for what is offered...

Same for Arturia...skipped already 2 versions and probably will skip the next version too.
Reason12, Win10

electricthing

15 Sep 2021

Double post? Apparently responded to my own post?!
Last edited by electricthing on 15 Sep 2021, edited 3 times in total.

Onkel Paul

15 Sep 2021

Count me out. 129 was far to high for this upgrade. 199 is prohibitive. And I cannot imagine that Reason 13 will be different.
I stick with 11 Suite in a proper DAW as long as it is useful and sooner or later it is time to say goodby.

stratatonic

15 Sep 2021

:|
electricthing wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Seriously considering selling R12.
Wait until after the price increase :|

joeyluck

15 Sep 2021

Honestly, and not to sound like a salesperson, but to anybody on the fence, I would upgrade now because you get it for cheaper and if you like R12 and the updates we see along the way, that's a win. If you decide to sell it, well the value of Reason will have gone up, so you likely lose less than a typical reselling.

huggermugger

15 Sep 2021

$269 CAD for a fancy Combinator and a sampler I won't use? I'll wait to see what's coming, thanks.

electricthing

15 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
15 Sep 2021
:|
electricthing wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Seriously considering selling R12.
Wait until after the price increase :|
:lol: great advice! Niklas, is that you?

reusenoise

15 Sep 2021

It was a nice journey,time to come back to FL Studio ;)

guitfnky

15 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
15 Sep 2021
guitfnky wrote:
15 Sep 2021

To give you more features more regularly, they would have to expand the team. That means more money spent on wages, and even increased rent if they need to move to a larger office.

The new staff would then have to spend time creating the features.

It's a very risk-averse proposition that I do think is a little tone-deaf.

This is, of course, assuming price inelsticity.
agreed. the weird thing is they’ve been suggesting the R+ subscribers would be pushing that ability to hire more resources, and you’d think after several months they could have started some of that hiring. that would theoretically buy them more time to deliver something impressive before jacking up their prices.

but hey, RS, you do you. 😆
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

flori89

15 Sep 2021

So that makes it more expensive then:
- Ableton (Standard)
- FL Studio (Signature)

And equally expensive as:
- Studio One
- Bitwig

I mean it was 100$ cheaper then everyone else before, so I always expected that to be a big selling point. Is it worth that as compared to other DAWs, hard to tell, but I can see why they would change their price so that it's similar to competitors.

PropitiousME

15 Sep 2021

Not even a $169 reach? No, they went straight for the throat with top-tier pricing model. *Reaches for Popcorn*

Should have changed their logo: Image

helmutson

15 Sep 2021

That must be the Reason Suite update price :clap: ... seriously, that's crazy ... 199.- € for that incomplete and unfinished product ? :shock:

reusenoise

15 Sep 2021

They want pushing sub model punishing licence owner,not a good move imho

stp2015

15 Sep 2021

Haha, Reason 12 upgrade for 199 hahaha

I love those pixelated HD browser logos, nice retro style for 2021.

Of course, they have promised to fix everything in the future and to give us Apple M1 support, VST3, and an even better browser. But the payment has to be made now. And they are even looking into maybe improving the workflow a bit.

Reminds me of Elon Musk "Full self driving coming by the end of the year! I promise ! Your car will be a perfect robotaxi by the end of 2020! "

LOL
Last edited by stp2015 on 15 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

15 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
15 Sep 2021
Honestly, and not to sound like a salesperson, but to anybody on the fence, I would upgrade now because you get it for cheaper and if you like R12 and the updates we see along the way, that's a win. If you decide to sell it, well the value of Reason will have gone up, so you likely lose less than a typical reselling.
Honestly I was on the fence and was definitely holding out until January when the roadmap was implemented but no sales person is going to convince me to change my mind and buy now while it's cheaper in the hope that the value will be added in the future.

If I was spending £200 today I would get another feature rich DAW and use RRP while saving my rewards for a fully discounted upgrade in a year or two

• Information