POLL: VST3 or QOL Priority? What would you have rather seen first?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What would you have rather seen first?

Poll ended at 14 Sep 2021

1 - VST 3 Please!
19%
2 - I'm good with VST 2.4 for now. Give me some Quality of Life workflow enhancements - Track Folders, Midi Comp/New Lane/Markers/Freeze etc first!
81%

Total votes: 122
jjrh

Post 14 Sep 2021

I'd be okay with VST2 supporting midi in/out, but really VST3 would be fantastic due to the number of free/opensource plugins that are VST3 only. Unless we get a complete overhaul/rethink of reason as a DAW I can't imagine any quality of life improvement really making a bigger difference than opening up the world of VST3 / midi vst2.

Combinator was the biggest quality of life improvement for me (though it would be really nice to have a rotary/button selector for choosing between a set of options and the programming window to be larger and support copy/paste)

QVprod

Post 14 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
14 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Think I'm in the minority, but I'd equate VST3 to be QOL. It's not really a feature but rather an improvement.
more like a necessity, if they want to keep having a DAW. so, good news in that sense, I guess.
adfielding wrote:
14 Sep 2021
QVprod wrote:
13 Sep 2021
Think I'm in the minority, but I'd equate VST3 to be QOL. It's not really a feature but rather an improvement.
Ditto. I'd take other QoL improvements over VST3 support for purely selfish reasons - but VST3 support is only going to become a larger issue as time goes by, so I totally understand the drive to get it in there now.
Agreed, definitely necessary with VST2 ending. But it'll be a few years before we really notice the switch on a large scale. Happy for those with VST3 only plugins, they'll finally be able to use them in Reason without a wrapper. I've been switching to using the VST3 versions of plugins where possible in the last year. Wouldn't mind not having to have multiple versions installed at some point n the future.

Carpainter

Post 14 Sep 2021

jjrh wrote:
14 Sep 2021
I'd be okay with VST2 supporting midi in/out, but really VST3 would be fantastic due to the number of free/opensource plugins that are VST3 only.
Yeah, this is a big deal for me because two of the best open source synths (Surge and Odin2) are VST3-only. Reason and Max are the only pieces of commercial software I use anymore. Everything else I use is freeware/open source.

• Information