Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mistro17

08 Sep 2021

I just read through the latest =https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/roa ... dmap Blog article I got in an email. It's great to have articles like this to read and see what's going on at RS. In the "under investigation" section near the bottom, I would love to see the "immediate Musical Results" elevated to a priority and not a maybe/if kind of thing. I think that would make a world of difference to Reason users. Just voicing my feedback.

Edit: Sorry for the way the link looks. Can someone help me on how to make a link with text on this site? Thanks.
Last edited by Mistro17 on 08 Sep 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Billy+

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021

I agree,

It's hard enough to get music related standard features into the product without adding video features, it would just end up being another feature that requires way to much support and development time - RS should stick with making Reason the best it can be for music creation.
I'm not talking about video editing, I'm talking about video syncing. It is for music making and and sound design specifically. You don't just dump music into video software because you need the video to score to it first 🙂

Most DAWs have video support in this sense. You have the video to sync and you have an option to export the video with the new audio (which in most cases is just to showcase changes to the director / video editor). It doesn't have to be anything more than that. Although a video sample player would be fun, something like this: http://www.mazbox.com/?project=capture-av

But that's not what I'm suggesting in terms of video support.
Yeah I kinda thought that was what you was after but I think there are already reasonable vst solutions available that provide the basic requirements to sync without any development from RS who's time would in my opinion be much better spent on adding to the daw side of things.

For example https://vidplayvst.com/index.htm

I would rather see vst midi pass through and routing options way before any kinda video sync support

Or even something simple like all the controls in Reason automatable and selectable within the new CMBv2 especially for their own rack extensions..

joeyluck

08 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021

I'm not talking about video editing, I'm talking about video syncing. It is for music making and and sound design specifically. You don't just dump music into video software because you need the video to score to it first 🙂

Most DAWs have video support in this sense. You have the video to sync and you have an option to export the video with the new audio (which in most cases is just to showcase changes to the director / video editor). It doesn't have to be anything more than that. Although a video sample player would be fun, something like this: http://www.mazbox.com/?project=capture-av

But that's not what I'm suggesting in terms of video support.
Yeah I kinda thought that was what you was after but I think there are already reasonable vst solutions available that provide the basic requirements to sync without any development from RS who's time would in my opinion be much better spent on adding to the daw side of things.
Other solutions are clunky and buggy for the reasons I mentioned. VidPlayVST doesn't allow you to scrub realtime with the playhead. It also is always wildly out of sync, playing parts of the video several minutes off, and I have to quit and restart Reason to get things to sync up again. I also have ReasonSync, but that's not accurate either. Video support after all is a feature on the DAW side of things 🙂

Billy+

08 Sep 2021

Mistro17 wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Edit: Sorry for the way the link looks. Can someone help me on how to make a link with text on this site? Thanks.

Code: Select all

URL example

[url=https://linktosomthing.userfull] better looking title [/url]

plaamook

08 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
08 Sep 2021
don't use RRP really, but I would absolutely love to see RRP able to host VST's! That would be epic.
If they implement vst in RRP I’ll jump all over it.
No vst, no plaamook on RRP.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Billy+

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021

Other solutions are clunky and buggy for the reasons I mentioned. VidPlayVST doesn't allow you to scrub realtime with the playhead. It also is always wildly out of sync, playing parts of the video several minutes off, and I have to quit and restart Reason to get things to sync up again. I also have ReasonSync, but that's not accurate either. Video support after all is a feature on the DAW side of things 🙂
Well I' have no interest and as such limited knowledge of such so would accept your opinion however I would guess that once such a feature got implemented it wouldn't be long before requests for xyz to be added and I would definitely prefer to see actual music based improvements before video sync oh then frame clipping oh then title editing etc etc etc

Is there not dedicated video editing software that would allow for RRP to be used in them?
Wouldn't that be a better solution?

Education me, I'm open to having my opinion changed...

joeyluck

08 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021

Well I' have no interest and as such limited knowledge of such so would accept your opinion however I would guess that once such a feature got implemented it wouldn't be long before requests for xyz to be added and I would definitely prefer to see actual music based improvements before video sync oh then frame clipping oh then title editing etc etc etc

Is there not dedicated video editing software that would allow for RRP to be used in them?

Not looking for video editing 🙂

Billy+

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021

Not looking for video editing 🙂
You might not be but as soon as video syncing gets added then others will start making threads requesting more features.

I'm not looking for video syncing :thumbup:

Tori

08 Sep 2021

Please vst3 Support..
Full mpe/ Midi 2.0 Support..reason should be a mpe Monster😁🤯 ..it is 2021/22 and its time for that.
I think all the New Midi Controller should Support mpe,to Push it. It makes so much fun🤗
Best regards Form Germany

sonicbyte

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021

That's odd...I use it just recently and VidPlayVST worked great for me

aeox
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck

08 Sep 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
08 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021

That's odd...I use it just recently and VidPlayVST worked great for me
Aside from sync issues, can you scrub the video with the playhead in realtime? Video for me only refreshes only when I release the playhead, which is not helpful at all.

buddard
RE Developer

08 Sep 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Track folders are my BIGGEST wish for Rx. If we ever get it, I'd probably rather it went the Cubase route than Live (although I see the appeal of Live's group folders also acting like busses...I prefer to keep them separate). In Cubase, you can build a drum beat out of 100 little clips of audio, but the folder track creates one all-encompassing clip that can be moved, copied, sized and split. That's the behaviour I'd love to see in Reason.
Yes!
The most important feature for me would be to be able to comp edit a folder track as if it were a single track. That way it would finally be possible to comp multi-mic'd drums or other instruments. Like you can do with linked track editing in Live 11!

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Anyone else seen the blog post? https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/roadmap-for-reason

Reason 12 : THE ROADMAP!

IMG_2808.PNG

Smart browser – October
In Reason 12 we delivered a new fresh and fast browsing experience. In October we plan to ship an update that organizes all your content in a better way and makes finding patches and sounds much easier
To speed up things in the browser even further, tag and branch searching could be added here too and a new section to quickly find newly installed VST's at the very top of the thumbnails in a hidden section with a dropdown. In Reaper, the new VST stays there for 24 hrs.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

DonnieAlan wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Thanks for sharing the plan for upcoming features. You asked for some feedback/suggestions, so I have 2. First, and most importantly, you stated that you know many of your users use Reason in another DAW. I'm in that group. What we most want is to be able to host VSTs in Reason in the Rack in our DAWs. Do that, and Reason becomes the most powerful plugin on the planet overnight! Secondly, it would be very useful to add virtual MIDI routing on the back side of the rack. Have virtual MIDI IN/OUT ports and the ability to route cables from to whatever we wish. This would be very useful with the players. Have a virtual midi splitter so one MIDI IN can go to several MIDI Outs. ETc.
I second all those suggestions and I would also like an Undo History window / drop down in the RRP (with a hefty undo list amount - maybe 300 like Reason itself) and to be able to sample straight into NN-19, NN-XT, ReDrum, Kong, Grain and Mimic from within the plug-in. You can sample directly into other VST's so it should be perfectly doable.

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

IMO, as regards the daw, I don't think any new features should be added, in terms of new things that don't exist already, for now anyway.

They should complete the things they've already started, such as more midi editing feature's, more automation curves with drawable shapes like you can do on Synchronous, linked automation and clips (which are probably the 2 feature's that fit the best with their 'get ideas down quickly' philosophy), more crossfade types, vertical allignment for crossfades, more keyboard shortcuts, pitch correction and audio to midi in polyphonic, sync the browsers and windows, more browser features, more sends, bypass all effects buttons on all mix channels, merge clips option in the bounce in place, be able to go back to more than 8 projects, transient sensitivity and time markers in slice edit, reassign keyboard shortcuts etc.

Like for shortcuts - add a shortcut to slice by song position pointer, add one for toggling between the absolute and relative snap and add one for selecting all clips on a track and if changing shortcuts to your own commands was an option, 2 immediate ones for me I'd change would be just 'Q' to quantize and double clicking a parameter to reset it to it's default position.
Last edited by Creativemind on 08 Sep 2021, edited 3 times in total.

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

:thumbup:
anDre wrote:
07 Sep 2021
So bug fixing is not on their road map?
Seems that Reason 10 will be the last usable version for me.

The sample editor is still broken in Reason 12 but Reason Studios don't care.
Of course, looking here in the forum it seems most users don't care too.

Instead more styles for the Comb2 yeah... strange priorities these days.

Does anyone remember the days where Reason was a rock solid software?
At this time no way that Propellerhead would have left such big bugs as the sample editor bug in the software, especially not across two major versions.

That is really a shame.
What are the bugs with the Sample Editor?

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Am I the only one to find it infuriating that once or twice a week (if we're lucky), somebody from Reason Studios pops by, answers a couple of really easy questions, and disappears again? They NEVER explain why so many things (almost all, really) on our (very) long list of wishes are ignored.
I'd be fine with answers like "no, we won't implement that feature because we think we have a better idea how that problem can be solved". Right now, a feature request or a complaint is like praying to some god that you don't even know if it exists.
No you're not. I've mailed them several times with requests and not got a reply back, just the automated e-mail thank you thing.

moalla

08 Sep 2021

esselfortium wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Loque wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Immediate musical results
Sequencer! :clap: Trackfolders :thumbup: Freezing :thumbs_up:
And please, do not freaking scroll the god damn window, when i click a long note, which goes beyond the current view!
sonicbyte wrote:
07 Sep 2021
  • We need real sequencer improvements like:
    • Multi-channel Midi support, to work efficiently with multi channel VST instruments like Kontakt
    • Sequencer folders
    • Better audio / midi editing tools
I'm there in spirit screaming all of this outside RS headquarters with you.

Also, a way to load groups of mixer/sequencer channels from other song projects directly from the new browser, please! If RS is looking for ways to speed up the music-making process, this would dramatically improve workflow by effectively turning every song into a modular template to quickly pluck out a synth or drum machine or an entire submix from.
This would be the absolut killer gem :clap:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
07 Sep 2021
I also want to see RRP 2.0 with device sampling working from external inputs, drag and drop samples to devices,
You can already do that in Reaper but it must be from the Media Browser, can't do it from the sequencer. Must be the same in other daws no?

Sorry for the many replies in a row here as well folks. I'm reading through this thread and replying to all that I find and I'm only page 2. Lol!

Jackjackdaw

08 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Jackjackdaw wrote:
07 Sep 2021
I also want to see RRP 2.0 with device sampling working from external inputs, drag and drop samples to devices,
You can already do that in Reaper but it must be from the Media Browser, can't do it from the sequencer. Must be the same in other daws no?

Sorry for the many replies in a row here as well folks. I'm reading through this thread and replying to all that I find and I'm only page 2. Lol!
Can't drag from the browser in Cubase. The pointer changed like it would but nothing happens. Haven't tried from the sequencer.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

I've got a feeling, based on two of the items on the roadmap, that they've got an innovation in the works that would extend Reason like rack extensions, but geared at integrating Reason functionality into other DAWs.

Creativemind

08 Sep 2021

drun robots wrote:
07 Sep 2021
6. Getting the EQ spectrogram window to be able to superimpose at least two tracks simultaneously - the one you can actually EQ and one more. Everyone that knows the kick bass fight would be thankful. Adjusting its speed and db per octave would turn it even better.
+1 for themes affect the mixer and add at least 1 more theme and not have to restart the daw to apply.

As for your number 6. Opening 2 at once side by side would be another option and it reminds me of when they first added the Spectrum EQ in Reason 7 and I was studying music tech at college. A classmate had just got Reason 7 a few days after release (and this was 2013 now) and he had a Mac Mini and brought it in. He hooked it up to a monitor and got Reason 7 on and I was checking out the new features whilst one of our tutors was there. This tutor had been showing us how to look at spectrums between a kick and snare a few days earlier. Anyway, this student opened the Spectrum EQ up and the tutor said, "Hey, that'd be handy for what I was showing you the other day about comparing the Spectrum displays between a kick and snare", then he said, "open 2 up side by side". Then the student was struggling do it. Hold on, gimme a sec. I laughingly said, "knowing Reason you can't open 2 up at once" and we laughed. He continued trying and I went to get a coffee from the canteen and said I'll be back in a few. I walked back in the classroom a few mins later and the first words out of the classmates mouth was, "you're right mate, you can't open 2 at once". Lol!
Last edited by Creativemind on 08 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

DJMaytag

08 Sep 2021

rorystorm wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I'm +1 for midi freeze. But what I really want is to double click on a parameter and type in the exact value. The cumulative hours I've spent backwardsing and forwardsing even using the shift key.... it frightens me.
I thought I wanted that too, but it turns out it’s not something I find to be useful anymore.

moalla

08 Sep 2021

Yeah the thing with the lonely one window analyzer is a sad sad thing, that sucks me and every time, that I have had forgotten it, or looking for something cheap made expensive stuff like „optic“ so mastering is the weak spot of reason

Auto Loop is the most most needed feature, what we need since thousands of days!!
Video hmm a Full smpte sxupport would be also okay, as a bridge ;)
So we will see what the Browser update will gives us, then maybe then RS will code some track folder function, but people hey think about RS is a company and need to make money, so with the next update....
After the update is before the next :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

• Information