Reason Studios shares their roadmap (September 7, 2021)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

08 Sep 2021

Here's a few things I think they need to investigate:

MPE Support
I'm hoping for MPE support at some point in the near future! I feel like some excuses are sometimes made for not going this way or that, but MPE support is about music making and using MPE is the most inspiring experience I have had when writing music on a computer. Even GarageBand has MPE support ;) Not having MPE support today is like using music software years ago that not having basic MIDI support when MIDI was available.

Video Support
I'd also argue that native video support is also about music making. Some people think of video support and their minds immediately go to big film projects. People are composing for all types of media. People are getting into music making now specifically to compose for media. If you think everybody who wants to write music just wants to compose an album, you're very wrong. Music isn't just about writing to a click track. So making the claim of having a focus on music making isn't an excuse for the lack video support. Reason is also a sound design playground, so focusing on music making and not sound design is a huge disservice to Reason and what it's capable of. The workaround solutions for video are clunky. VidPlayVST doesn't even scrub along the video as you move the playhead. And it's very buggy and not always in sync.

Version Saving
We absolutely need version saving! Reason projects should have the option to save in a folder with the audio separate and not self-contained with every separate project file. It is unnecessary and takes up a ridiculous amount of disk space. Logic (like other DAWs I would assume) gives you the option of how you would like to save your project (self-contained or in a folder).

Track folders
As I've seen mentioned here, track folders and being able to hide mixer groups are a must to help organize the sequencer and mixer. Having these features would be huge improvements for workflow.

Auto New Note Lane when recording on loop
Adding this option would be incredible for sketching ideas. I'm also tired of recording over myself when on loop.

Loque

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Oh yes...
Reason12, Win10

Josako

08 Sep 2021

DonnieAlan wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Thanks for sharing the plan for upcoming features. You asked for some feedback/suggestions, so I have 2. First, and most importantly, you stated that you know many of your users use Reason in another DAW. I'm in that group. What we most want is to be able to host VSTs in Reason in the Rack in our DAWs. Do that, and Reason becomes the most powerful plugin on the planet overnight! Secondly, it would be very useful to add virtual MIDI routing on the back side of the rack. Have virtual MIDI IN/OUT ports and the ability to route cables from to whatever we wish. This would be very useful with the players. Have a virtual midi splitter so one MIDI IN can go to several MIDI Outs. ETc.
I couldn't agree more. Certainly VST hosting is to me very important. As it enables to build 'complete' patches, across Reason devices, RE's en VST's. It would also allow to use the same patches both in the plugin as in the Reason Daw.

chimp_spanner

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Here's a few things I think they need to investigate:

MPE Support
I'm hoping for MPE support at some point in the near future! I feel like some excuses are sometimes made for not going this way or that, but MPE support is about music making and using MPE is the most inspiring experience I have had when writing music on a computer. Even GarageBand has MPE support ;) Not having MPE support today is like using music software years ago that not having basic MIDI support when MIDI was available.

Video Support
I'd also argue that native video support is also about music making. Some people think of video support and their minds immediately go to big film projects. People are composing for all types of media. People are getting into music making now specifically to compose for media. If you think everybody who wants to write music just wants to compose an album, you're very wrong. Music isn't just about writing to a click track. So making the claim of having a focus on music making isn't an excuse for the lack video support. Reason is also a sound design playground, so focusing on music making and not sound design is a huge disservice to Reason and what it's capable of. The workaround solutions for video are clunky. VidPlayVST doesn't even scrub along the video as you move the playhead. And it's very buggy and not always in sync.

Version Saving
We absolutely need version saving! Reason projects should have the option to save in a folder with the audio separate and not self-contained with every separate project file. It is unnecessary and takes up a ridiculous amount of disk space. Logic (like other DAWs I would assume) gives you the option of how you would like to save your project (self-contained or in a folder).

Track folders
As I've seen mentioned here, track folders and being able to hide mixer groups are a must to help organize the sequencer and mixer. Having these features would be huge improvements for workflow.

Adding this option would be incredible for sketching ideas. I'm also tired of recording over myself when on loop.
Great point on video Joey. I think at one point you could argue that video is only for "big-boi" apps, post prod, all that. But with people creating so much content these days across all different types of media, it's gonna become an essential feature for the standalone. I know we can do it with other apps that already have video but...ya know. Half of us still use the standalone so :)

Also yeah, version saving - absolutely. Big projects go into the GB's, and saving backups/alts doubles/triples/etc. that size.

Track folders are my BIGGEST wish for Rx. If we ever get it, I'd probably rather it went the Cubase route than Live (although I see the appeal of Live's group folders also acting like busses...I prefer to keep them separate). In Cubase, you can build a drum beat out of 100 little clips of audio, but the folder track creates one all-encompassing clip that can be moved, copied, sized and split. That's the behaviour I'd love to see in Reason.

EnochLight

08 Sep 2021

JRRC wrote:
08 Sep 2021
This statement goes to show what a convoluted mess its all become.
Not sure how you drew that conclusion. The blog roadmap sort of indicates the exact opposite, in fact.
Josako wrote:
08 Sep 2021
DonnieAlan wrote:
07 Sep 2021
Thanks for sharing the plan for upcoming features. You asked for some feedback/suggestions, so I have 2. First, and most importantly, you stated that you know many of your users use Reason in another DAW. I'm in that group. What we most want is to be able to host VSTs in Reason in the Rack in our DAWs. Do that, and Reason becomes the most powerful plugin on the planet overnight! Secondly, it would be very useful to add virtual MIDI routing on the back side of the rack. Have virtual MIDI IN/OUT ports and the ability to route cables from to whatever we wish. This would be very useful with the players. Have a virtual midi splitter so one MIDI IN can go to several MIDI Outs. ETc.
I couldn't agree more. Certainly VST hosting is to me very important. As it enables to build 'complete' patches, across Reason devices, RE's en VST's. It would also allow to use the same patches both in the plugin as in the Reason Daw.
I don't use RRP really, but I would absolutely love to see RRP able to host VST's! That would be epic.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CaptainBlack

08 Sep 2021

Basically, what Reason 12 was intended to be might finally be there by January. Oh well, what's five months when you've waited this long?

Jackjackdaw

08 Sep 2021

JRRC wrote:
08 Sep 2021
This statement goes to show what a convoluted mess its all become.
Simultaneously Reason Studios needs to add value and attract spend from DAW users, from RRP users and from R+ users while still offering maintenance on current offerings.
Instead of prioritising those features and requests which will cover most users and bring them along each step they instead throw out features which will satisfy one group over others. This is then all disguised by telling us they are levelling up the rack.
R+ users will become a greater distraction, it will always require constant attention because of the desire for constant shiny new toys.
I tend to agree with this feeling. They keep adding stuff that needs more stuff doing to it. Standalone had a bunch of glaring omissions, they introduce RRP that is very much a v.1.0 release with room for improvement. Then R+ which has a USP that requires a constant drip feed of new content. Now instead of one product that needed work they have three.

But the roadmap acknowledges the work that needs doing and apparently they have a bigger pot of cash to throw at it so maybe the expansion is working in their, and our favour.

Popey
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

Seeing as there has been loads of good suggestions and we are on page 5 already should there be some sort of voting system so rs can cherry pick the most requested (bit like studio 1 has)

joeyluck

08 Sep 2021

Popey wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Seeing as there has been loads of good suggestions and we are on page 5 already should there be some sort of voting system so rs can cherry pick the most requested (bit like studio 1 has)
We can organize something later. There's a few polls floating around here. A problem that happens is someone will be too quick to create a poll, another person will say, "You left this off" and then they edit the poll and the results are reset...

A while back I had increased the number of poll options allowed greatly, but polls still pop-up that left off popular options and tend to be the most wanted features of the poll creator.

I had created a Facebook poll which got some activity. What I like about that one is users can vote on existing options or add their own. Again with a poll here, once it's created, if you edit it, you reset the results. So it involves some thought and planning.

Popey
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Popey wrote:
08 Sep 2021
We can organize something later. There's a few polls floating around here. A problem that happens is someone will be too quick to create a poll, another person will say, "You left this off" and then they edit the poll and the results are reset...

A while back I had increased the number of poll options allowed greatly, but polls still pop-up that left off popular options and tend to be the most wanted features of the poll creator.

I had created a Facebook poll which got some activity. What I like about that one is users can vote on existing options or add their own. Again with a poll here, once it's created, if you edit it, you reset the results. So it involves some thought and planning.
Ah I see. I wouldn't have a clue how to start one so did not realise such complexity.😀

oyvindur

08 Sep 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
[...]
Video Support
[...]
Great point on video Joey. I think at one point you could argue that video is only for "big-boi" apps, post prod, all that. But with people creating so much content these days across all different types of media, it's gonna become an essential feature for the standalone. I know we can do it with other apps that already have video but...ya know. Half of us still use the standalone so :)
[...]
I would actually vote against video. Not that it wouldn't be cool, but (without knowing the domain of video editing deeply) I assume this will be an enormous task if you want it to be pro level and not just a toy where you hit the limits pretty quickly. I fear that it would suck so much resources away from maintaining and developing Reason as a DAW that it just becomes mediocre both as a video production tool and a DAW. While it could indeed be fun, it's not difficult to dump an audio track into a dedicated pro video editing tool and take it from there?

That being said, there may be use cases that makes this a good idea. And I have to admit that I've had fun editing video in Reaper (although I think putting some effort into learning a proper video editing tool would have gotten me farther).

Carpainter

08 Sep 2021

As far as new devices are concerned, what I'd like more than anything is an updated version of Thor with a focus on improving its analog emulation and expanding its FM synthesis capabilities. It doesn't have to be on the level of Diva or Algoritm, but the base package is sorely in need of updated virtual analog and FM synthesis.

DaveyG

08 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
08 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Oh yes...
Oh yes, Oh Yes, OH YES!!!.

It's crazy to have it for recording audio but not for recording MIDI.

AnotherMathias

08 Sep 2021

I'm seriously puzzled...

What in the roadmap are people interpreting as "we are now suddenly planning to incorporate your user requests?"

Even in the "under investigation" section, the four items (other DAWs integration, immediate results, authorization, new devices) they are clearly NOT mentioning DAW workflow improvements.

SoundObjects

08 Sep 2021

It's a great move by Reason studio now is opening up. :thumbup:
No more dark speculation and guesses on what RS is and is not working on.

I think those speculations and guesses some times have done more
harm than good for RS.

(now of course there is a lot of complains of whishes not on the list) ;)
Last edited by SoundObjects on 08 Sep 2021, edited 2 times in total.
The Universe Is Vibrating

rexbrewer

08 Sep 2021

VST 3 coming in January!
FINALLY!

bxbrkrz

08 Sep 2021

When I was done reading the blog I ended up being more relaxed. Of course I want to add my special requests and suggestions here, but I'll wait for the platform to be created.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

jjpscott01

08 Sep 2021

When this blog post showed up in my email it made me really happy. It makes me much more excited for the future of Reason and I think it was a good idea to put this out for us users to read. Thanks guys for your continued hard work
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 4 | SAMPLITUDE PRO X5 | BALANCE | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

VST3 support. Great. The next transparent statement coming just before the 12.5 update will be that hey’re dropping support for VST2. Send it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

oyvindur

08 Sep 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
08 Sep 2021
[...]
What in the roadmap are people interpreting as "we are now suddenly planning to incorporate your user requests?"
[...]
This could be interpreted that way: "We hope you will all join us at the microphone and tell us your thoughts too. The virtual microphone in this case being Reason Talk, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, so feel free to speak up on what you think of our direction. [...] Now I’ll step away from the microphone and leave the stage to you."

Billy+

08 Sep 2021

oyvindur wrote:
08 Sep 2021
chimp_spanner wrote:
08 Sep 2021

[...]
I would actually vote against video. Not that it wouldn't be cool, but (without knowing the domain of video editing deeply) I assume this will be an enormous task if you want it to be pro level and not just a toy where you hit the limits pretty quickly. I fear that it would suck so much resources away from maintaining and developing Reason as a DAW that it just becomes mediocre both as a video production tool and a DAW. While it could indeed be fun, it's not difficult to dump an audio track into a dedicated pro video editing tool and take it from there?

That being said, there may be use cases that makes this a good idea. And I have to admit that I've had fun editing video in Reaper (although I think putting some effort into learning a proper video editing tool would have gotten me farther).
I agree,

It's hard enough to get music related standard features into the product without adding video features, it would just end up being another feature that requires way to much support and development time - RS should stick with making Reason the best it can be for music creation.

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2021

AnotherMathias wrote:
08 Sep 2021
I'm seriously puzzled...

Even in the "under investigation" section, the four items (other DAWs integration, immediate results, authorization, new devices) they are clearly NOT mentioning DAW workflow improvements.
They have mentioned DAW workflow improvements - just worded differently. Look at the roadmap again.

joeyluck

08 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021
oyvindur wrote:
08 Sep 2021

I agree,

It's hard enough to get music related standard features into the product without adding video features, it would just end up being another feature that requires way to much support and development time - RS should stick with making Reason the best it can be for music creation.
I'm not talking about video editing, I'm talking about video syncing. It is for music making and and sound design specifically. You don't just dump music into video software because you need the video to score to it first 🙂

Most DAWs have video support in this sense. You have the video to sync and you have an option to export the video with the new audio (which in most cases is just to showcase changes to the director / video editor). It doesn't have to be anything more than that. Although a video sample player would be fun, something like this: http://www.mazbox.com/?project=capture-av

But that's not what I'm suggesting in terms of video support.

oyvindur

08 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
08 Sep 2021

I agree,

I'm not talking about video editing, I'm talking about video syncing. It is for music making and and sound design specifically. You don't just dump music into video software because you need the video to score to it first 🙂

Most DAWs have video support in this sense. You have the video to sync and you have an option to export the video with the new audio (which in most cases is just to showcase changes to the director / video editor). It doesn't have to be anything more than that. Although a video sample player would be fun, something like this: http://www.mazbox.com/?project=capture-av

But that's not what I'm suggesting in terms of video support.
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clarifying! 🙂

Skimrok

08 Sep 2021

Good news with VST3 that made me smile :thumbup:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

• Information