Which build of Reason 11 is the best/fastest/least buggy?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chaosroyale

03 Sep 2021

I'm planning a clean install and I have heard conflicting opinions about the performance, loading time, and bugginess of different point updates of Reason 11.

Which is better, and why?
Last edited by chaosroyale on 03 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

03 Sep 2021

:lol:

You have a choice of bugs in 11

Audio recording lag or ram bug,

Personally I'm running the ram bug, as it's the simplest to fix, simply save close Reason and reload the project. V11.3 it's listed in the links sticky.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/reason-suite1134

EdwardKiy

03 Sep 2021

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7521565&p=539057&hi ... or#p539057

11.36 has about half the loading time of 11.39 (depending on your hardware and VST load) and is the last version that doesn't have the Companion umbilical

welcome back to the forum, by the way
Last edited by EdwardKiy on 03 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

chaosroyale

03 Sep 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
03 Sep 2021
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7521565&p=539057&hi ... or#p539057

11.36 has about half the loading time of 11.39 (depending on your hardware and VST load) and is the last version that doesn't have the Companion umbilical
Does it have the "recording out-of-sync" bug or the "gradually fills up RAM" bug?

chaosroyale

03 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Sep 2021
:lol:

You have a choice of bugs in 11

Audio recording lag or ram bug,

Personally I'm running the ram bug, as it's the simplest to fix, simply save close Reason and reload the project. V11.3 it's listed in the links sticky.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/reason-suite1134
Thanks for the advice. What is the actual behaviour and fix of the Ram bug?

EdwardKiy

03 Sep 2021

tbh, I don't know, I never ran into either

joeyluck

03 Sep 2021

Some of the different experiences could also depend on different operating systems and plugins used. So I would install the latest and go from there, testing for yourself.

chaosroyale

03 Sep 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
03 Sep 2021
tbh, I don't know, I never ran into either
ok thanks for the link. If it works with my system without being buggy, I would definitely use the faster loading version if possible. R11.3.9 was SLOOOOOOW to load. Like 4 times slower than Studio 1 and more than 10 times slower than Reaper.

jam-s

03 Sep 2021

Sidenote: They should totally fix the remaining regressions in Reason 11 even if Reason 12 is out now.

plaamook

03 Sep 2021

jam-s wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Sidenote: They should totally fix the remaining regressions in Reason 11 even if Reason 12 is out now.
There def seems to be an audience for it!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

03 Sep 2021

I’m on 11.3.9 but I’ve not really noticed any probs w load times.
Seems smooth generally.

13”MBP Mojave 2.9ghz i7 16RAM etc
Last edited by plaamook on 03 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Or here.

Billy+

03 Sep 2021

jam-s wrote:
03 Sep 2021
plaamook wrote:
03 Sep 2021
I don't think that's ever going to happen, even though RS acknowledged the errors they just moved onto the next major release and ultimately left us hanging in the hope we would buy into the next bug fest, shame :thumbs_down:

plaamook

03 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
03 Sep 2021
jam-s wrote:
03 Sep 2021
plaamook wrote:
03 Sep 2021
I don't think that's ever going to happen, even though RS acknowledged the errors they just moved onto the next major release and ultimately left us hanging in the hope we would buy into the next bug fest, shame :thumbs_down:
No. It def won’t.. They’re riding off into the R12+ sunset now.

Or here.

chaosroyale

04 Sep 2021

jam-s wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Sadly, that's never going to happen, which is why I am trying to find out which version of 11 has the fewest problems.

rootwheel

05 Sep 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
04 Sep 2021
jam-s wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Sadly, that's never going to happen, which is why I am trying to find out which version of 11 has the fewest problems.
10.4 is the most stable it seems :)

If you need v11, then 11.3.9 seems to be the most stable of that version. This is the version I use but it can apparently cause the audio lagging issue - although I have never seen this happen personally and I do record plenty of audio in Reason 11; but it might be because I only ever use a buffer size of 128 or 256 samples I've never experienced it.

chaosroyale

05 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
05 Sep 2021

If you need v11, then 11.3.9 seems to be the most stable of that version. This is the version I use but it can apparently cause the audio lagging issue - although I have never seen this happen personally and I do record plenty of audio in Reason 11; but it might be because I only ever use a buffer size of 128 or 256 samples I've never experienced it.
You know what - that's a good point. I tested a couple of builds of 11 and it seems like I have to choose between 11.3.9 and 10.4

10.4 = no bugs but no curved automation / audio crossfade
11.3.9 = curved automation & audio crossfades but audio recording lag

Not a great choice to be honest.

For what its worth, 11.3.9 and 11.3.6 have similar loading times and performance, but 11.3.6 has the memory leak, and 11.3.9 has the recording lag, which can be worked around (because Reason, right!) by turning off delay compensation while recording , and also bypassing any laggy effects on your recording channels while recording, which is my current choice.

Jagwah

05 Sep 2021

Reason 10 FTW :)

chaosroyale

05 Sep 2021

Just looking over the release notes and apparently they fixed the recording bug, but waited until 12 to include it, so you have to pay for the bug fix. Shady as fuck if you ask me.

rootwheel

05 Sep 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
05 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
05 Sep 2021

You know what - that's a good point. I tested a couple of builds of 11 and it seems like I have to choose between 11.3.9 and 10.4

10.4 = no bugs but no curved automation / audio crossfade
11.3.9 = curved automation & audio crossfades but audio recording lag

Not a great choice to be honest.

For what its worth, 11.3.9 and 11.3.6 have similar loading times and performance, but 11.3.6 has the memory leak, and 11.3.9 has the recording lag, which can be worked around (because Reason, right!) by turning off delay compensation while recording , and also bypassing any laggy effects on your recording channels while recording, which is my current choice.
Out of interest, is there a bullet proof set of steps that can be followed to reproduce the audio lag bug, without my having to change the buffer size up to something really high?

chaosroyale

05 Sep 2021

rootwheel wrote:
05 Sep 2021
Out of interest, is there a bullet proof set of steps that can be followed to reproduce the audio lag bug, without my having to change the buffer size up to something really high?
There is a thread here with a video. It's not about the buffer size, it's about automatic delay compensation not being taken into consideration when aligning recordings on the timeline. So to workaround, do recordings without delay compensation, but also remember that any plugins with latency will sound "out of time" unless you bypass them while recording. If you record "dry" so to speak, everything should line up correctly, and then you can switch on the compensation and plugins again after recording. It's annoying but might be preferable to the memory leak bug, depending on how you work.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7523139

rootwheel

06 Sep 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
05 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
05 Sep 2021
There is a thread here with a video. It's not about the buffer size, it's about automatic delay compensation not being taken into consideration when aligning recordings on the timeline. So to workaround, do recordings without delay compensation, but also remember that any plugins with latency will sound "out of time" unless you bypass them while recording. If you record "dry" so to speak, everything should line up correctly, and then you can switch on the compensation and plugins again after recording. It's annoying but might be preferable to the memory leak bug, depending on how you work.

Ah, I remember seeing that post but because the buffer size was so high in the visible preferences in the video I just assumed that was part of the problem. I see what the problem is now I've watched it properly.

I usually record vocals at the end after I've bounced everything, so normally don't have anything going on DSP-wise and thus PDC-wise; which explains why I've not seen the bug. Even if I did have some FX in there I would never have anything as extreme as a Pro-L introducing over 2000 samples delay to the audio chain either, so if the recordings were slightly out by say 100 samples I maybe wouldn't even have noticed.

Having said that, it is really shoddy work by Reason Studios that the life cycle of v11 is marred by two really poor bugs which no single v11 version actually has both fixed in.

11.3.9 is probably still the best for me I think. Shame they've hung their older customers (especially Windows 7 and El Capitan customers) out to dry now. I personally feel like there should be an 11.4 that fixes this issue and any other bad bugs they found that got fixed in R12 but that clearly won't happen now their real customers are the VCs and not us end-users.

rootwheel

07 Sep 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
05 Sep 2021
rootwheel wrote:
05 Sep 2021

I've found another workaround. Should you inadvertently record audio in 11.3.9 in a latency heavy song, without taking the PDC off, and for whatever reason find it a hassle to slide that audio within the sequencer window to remove the additional samples of latency baked into the audio recordings, then Robotic Bean's TS-1 https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... me-slider/ is really good for realigning the audio tracks back to where they should be.

• Information