Reason 12 Graphic's Issues.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
nooomy
Posts: 506
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 03 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Sep 2021
nooomy wrote:
03 Sep 2021


Looks good! Seams like they fixed it then.
So are you not using R12 right now? Is your observation based on a past build? Because the mixer was not in hi-res up until a point during beta.
I tried the last versions of the beta, but it was still blurry then.

User avatar
Kategra
Posts: 326
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2021

All 3rd party devices look like crap at all zoom levels other than 100%.
Do I have to install Reason Companion to get HD graphics for RE also, or what?

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2786
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 04 Sep 2021

Kategra wrote:
04 Sep 2021
All 3rd party devices look like crap at all zoom levels other than 100%.
Do I have to install Reason Companion to get HD graphics for RE also, or what?
I've only got AMS installed at the moment so can't really comment, what settings are you running on your display (resolution and dpi). It can take awhile for the rescaling to finish, I also found that I need to scroll through the mixer before it refreshed with cleaner images.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9048
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2021

Kategra wrote:
04 Sep 2021
All 3rd party devices look like crap at all zoom levels other than 100%.
Do I have to install Reason Companion to get HD graphics for RE also, or what?
REs/device not built-in are not automatically hi-res, you need to update them.

If you are a R+ user, you can do that from Companion. If you are non-R+ you can do it by logging into your account online and then via Authorizer.

I recommend though only updating what you need, unless you have ample disk space. For me, I still work at 100% most of the time. I'm more of a hone-in type user, so I'm still hopeful for an individual rack zoom. But there's really only certain rack devices I feel the need to zoom in on. So for me, upgrading to hi-res for every RE would be unnecessary.

User avatar
Kategra
Posts: 326
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Kategra wrote:
04 Sep 2021
All 3rd party devices look like crap at all zoom levels other than 100%.
Do I have to install Reason Companion to get HD graphics for RE also, or what?
REs/device not built-in are not automatically hi-res, you need to update them.

If you are a R+ user, you can do that from Companion. If you are non-R+ you can do it by logging into your account online and then via Authorizer.

I recommend though only updating what you need, unless you have ample disk space. For me, I still work at 100% most of the time. I'm more of a hone-in type user, so I'm still hopeful for an individual rack zoom. But there's really only certain rack devices I feel the need to zoom in on. So for me, upgrading to hi-res for every RE would be unnecessary.
Thanks! I already figured it out and hit SYNK ALL and it updated most of them, but not all of them. Did it a second time and now it seems all are High res.

PS.

177 Rack Extensions weigh 30.3GB on my SSD.

jugger
Posts: 20
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2021

blur.png
Main text font looks blurry in Reason 12 compared to 11 which is on the left. Like some weird anti-aliasing effect. I reported this as a bug on betatest but no reply from the devs. Resolution is 2560x1440. Another user reported similar problem with 1650 x 1050 resolution I think.

Does anyone else have this problem on the current released version? I haven't bought the upgrade yet because of this problem so not able to check.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dusan.cani
Posts: 270
Joined: 16 Oct 2018
Location: Slovakia

Post 04 Sep 2021

They can't be serious about those gaps in the rack, misalignment of edges and borders...it looks ugly, weird, unlogical, unnatural, it feels like error in the UI design. Is this really the final "enhanced" new look of the rack ?

User avatar
RoryM0
Posts: 333
Joined: 21 Jun 2017

Post 04 Sep 2021

jugger wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Main text font looks blurry in Reason 12 compared to 11 which is on the left. Like some weird anti-aliasing effect. I reported this as a bug on betatest but no reply from the devs. Resolution is 2560x1440. Another user reported similar problem with 1650 x 1050 resolution I think.

Does anyone else have this problem on the current released version? I haven't bought the upgrade yet because of this problem so not able to check.
Yes same here. 1080 screen, 100% zoom, R10 has more clear text in browser than R12, where the text appears slightly more bold and not quite as easy to read.

User avatar
GRB
Posts: 82
Joined: 07 May 2018

Post 04 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
03 Sep 2021
I get that they wanted to level up the rack first, and I know they have stated that adding HD to the elements that currently aren't is happening right now... But I'm still genuinely surprised they released R12 with the transport looking like it does at anything other than 100%. Everyone who uses Reason standalone sees the transport front and centre all the time.
Same here, it was reported on the beta version but still...

You can see inside the main EXE all those low-res graphic resources, its a matter of upscaling or recreating those images.

Sure, this will need time to get released but it can't be the first thing you see on a DAW every moment you use it... off course if you use it as a plugin it wont bother you at all.

It seems that Reason as a DAW has the lowest priority in terms of whats being improved/fixed.
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

MattLeschuck
Posts: 67
Joined: 05 Oct 2018

Post 04 Sep 2021

Random lines on Drum Sequencer when zoomed past 100%
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 5.46.46 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
tc13
Posts: 82
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2021

download/file.php?mode=view&id=2380839

The top picture is using the integrated graphichs (intel) the second is when using nvidia.... (1920x1080 125% scaling in windows 100% in Reason)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer
Posts: 1119
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
03 Sep 2021
nooomy wrote:
03 Sep 2021

Did you notice how the SSL is more blurry at 100% zoom in 12 compared to 11?
here's one of the master fader showing 11 is way more blurry than 12:
[R12 taken at 100%, and BOTH screen shots were enlarged by 400% for this image. Same number of screen pixels in both cases. Fun Fact: you can even see "star screws" instead of Phillips on the R12 version!]
You're not remotely doing a like-for-like comparison there.

noomy says "Did you notice how the SSL is more blurry at 100% [application zoom] in 12 compared to 11?"

That image you've displayed is not a like-for-like comparison at 100%. You've not got your R12 application zoom set to 100% in that image. ;)

Here's what it actually looks like, with just the image zoomed to 400%, and the 100% Reason application zoom in both.

R11 vs R12 at 100% (400% enlargement).png
and at original scale.
R11 vs R12 at 100%.png
It's disappointing noomy responded by assuming you were correct rather than trusting his own eyes!

At 100%, Reason 11 is sharper in everything. You'll also notice text contrast is noticably better.

(I wish I hadn't used magenta in my labelling, sorry! First rule of highlight club, never use hideously distracting colours. Like flourescent orange on splash screens... ;) )

So to answer noomy's question: The answer is "yes". :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer
Posts: 1119
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
03 Sep 2021
Are you not getting gaps between the wood panels and devices then?

It's almost like the device hangs off the mixer channels rather than the rack...
That is the intended look. It is because the Master Sections and Mix/Audio channels have been made wider to house Combinators.

During testing, I had suggested this instead:

Keeping internal width of the rack the same and only making the insert containers wider (and making the wood wider to accommodate). Then those containers would just kind of pop out slightly over the wider wood rails.


insert suggestion.jpg


But as it turns out, not many testers were as bothered by the new look. Or at least they didn't notice.
No. Christ to fuck no. That's... no... ! Yikes, joey. ;)

I'm kinda torn on the extra black bands. Adding wasted black space is never good. If you don't use Combis, it's pretty awful. But equally I get why they've probably done it, there are a couple of practical advantages. And it's one of those redesign issues where of course it wouldn't matter at all to newcomers as they wouldn't know different, and as you say, it's probably not noticeable to many existing users, and for the rest of us they'll just get over it eventually.

I'm curious to know who actually asked for this change outside of internal. We keep hearing about how stretched RS dev teams are because of priority scheduling. But this was a very late change. Mid August this first appeared. Now, a feature design change and bug fixes aren't mutually exclusive, and are likely handled by a different coder. However, what it does suggest is that bug and UI fixes (actual problems, e.g. no HD transport) were not seen as a priority over a largely redundant, if not entirely, unnecessary late visual change. The transport is a visual change, so it's likely whoever dealt with widening the rack could quite conceivably be the same person who would be responsible for updating the transport.

My guess is the reason they've done it at least twofold (hur-hur). With original Combi design, the edges of devices were hidden, and since a lot of RE devs liked to use vertical tape strips at the side to get them out of the way, we found we had to move then slightly further from the edge than we might have liked, because people complained they couldn't see the device name when placed in a Combi. It also has the possible benefit that the currently selected MIDI device is arguably a bit more obvious now. Of course, now hardly anyone makes REs, and vertical tapes of existing devices will now look like they're too far from the edge!

It's a shame they don't have some kind of, I don't know, let's call it a "zoom function" in Reason 12 that would allow a device to scale differently so it would fiill the Rack width appropriately in both the Rack and in Combinators... *


__________

(* for the benefit of Enoch: that was satire. :puf_wink: What should we do next? Do you not want to learn about litotes?)

User avatar
lowtom
Posts: 155
Joined: 29 Sep 2017

Post 05 Sep 2021

In regards to Mix/Audio Channel devices width I do not like current design. It's half baked, lazy, last resort solution and looks like someone did this in a hurry.
I'm not sure why it needs to be wider. What would be an issue with covering Combinator left and right bezel with a bezel of Mix/Audio Channel device? They could just overlap.
We only need upper and bottom indicator, easy to see divider, to let us know that Combi or other device is nested inside Insert and that is all.
:reason: :refill: :re:

deeplink
Posts: 482
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai

Post 05 Sep 2021

You guys are wasting your time talking about the width or "ears" of the mix channel. Reason stated that this is to temporary.

ab459
Posts: 292
Joined: 28 Dec 2018
Location: Minsk Belarus

Post 05 Sep 2021

Tried today R12 trial, frankly was disappointed a bit by changed look of Malmstrom and Subtractor.
I attached screenshots for better comparison. (R11 in left). Press to full size

Image

Yes it's not a very big difference, but enoughly palpable (to feel something wrong).
UI became a bit darker, blurry \ less detailed.

For example:

Malmstrom - pay attention to faders (OscA\OscB, FilterENV sections), in R11 it looks more pleasant, contrast, can say volumetric. While in R12 looks more to "flat", merged with whole panel gamma (slightly less distinguishable as separate element of control).

Subtractor.. well here without attention to faders, rather general described symptoms (darker\blurry). Although, can pay attention to waveform window - in R11 you can notice like red pixels lcd style "grid", while in R11 it's gone (again, it seems due to blur). And btw similar thing occurs with "lcd grid" in NN-XT too.

About text fonts in both device cases, i think obviously that it's less readable.

But (for sake of justice) can also notice there is little addings that i think done good, this is for example lightbulbs in Subtractor (became more bright when enable, than in R11).

About other factory devices - fortunately can say all ok with their look. Some not so distinguishable changes, and some it seems have not changed at all (like Grain or Europa), this is good.

Summarizing...I don't know how many users will still use 100% scaling in Reason (with default no scaling in Windows) but i one of them. So big request to devs - please repair this holy classics UI's (and keep new lightbulbs only).

My specs if something: Win10 64, Nvidia GTX 1660, Monitor 2k (2560x1440)

EDIT: I also add two separate orignal screens, so you can compare difference in any image viewer by fast switching between two pictures. https://www.mediafire.com/file/48gefrp1 ... 2.zip/file

And here animated axample how it looks: Image

EDIT2: by word "darker" i meant rather "faded" (sorry my english)

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 9048
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Sep 2021

JiggeryPokery wrote:
05 Sep 2021
My guess is the reason they've done it at least twofold (hur-hur). With original Combi design, the edges of devices were hidden, and since a lot of RE devs liked to use vertical tape strips at the side to get them out of the way, we found we had to move then slightly further from the edge than we might have liked, because people complained they couldn't see the device name when placed in a Combi. It also has the possible benefit that the currently selected MIDI device is arguably a bit more obvious now. Of course, now hardly anyone makes REs, and vertical tapes of existing devices will now look like they're too far from the edge!
Border size for the Combinator container didn't change (or didn't change much). There is still overlap on the edges in the combinator container. Only the insert containers are wider.

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 1.11.43 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Arrant
Posts: 399
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 06 Sep 2021

I just noticed that there seems to be a white line on the right side of the Reason 12 startup splash that shouldn't be there?
Also in this screenshot the splash screen doesn't look very HD.
glitch.png
No need to comment on my wallpaper thank you :puf_wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Italophile
Posts: 91
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 06 Sep 2021

jugger wrote:
04 Sep 2021
blur.png

Main text font looks blurry in Reason 12 compared to 11 which is on the left. Like some weird anti-aliasing effect. I reported this as a bug on betatest but no reply from the devs. Resolution is 2560x1440. Another user reported similar problem with 1650 x 1050 resolution I think.

Does anyone else have this problem on the current released version? I haven't bought the upgrade yet because of this problem so not able to check.
Yes, my immediate thought was the same, and I am only using at 100% on 1920 x 1200. Though being in my mid-fifties I thought it was just my eyes until I went back to check R10 and R11.

They've used a font with a different weight, and it is less clear because the character spacing needs expanding.

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1512
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 06 Sep 2021

tc13 wrote:
04 Sep 2021
download/file.php?mode=view&id=2380839

The top picture is using the integrated graphichs (intel) the second is when using nvidia.... (1920x1080 125% scaling in windows 100% in Reason)
That looks like in R12 there is some sort of (over)sharpening going on. Would that be something the graphics driver is doing?

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2702
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 06 Sep 2021

raymondh wrote:
06 Sep 2021

That looks like in R12 there is some sort of (over)sharpening going on. Would that be something the graphics driver is doing?
There is a setting in the NVidia Control Panel under Manage 3D Settings to perform Image Sharpening. I found I was able to reproduce this effect by enabling it, otherwise when disabled it displays the same as the top image.
---

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9458
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 06 Sep 2021

JiggeryPokery wrote:
05 Sep 2021
image you've displayed is not a like-for-like comparison at 100%. You've not got your R12 application zoom set to 100% in that image. ;)

Here's what it actually looks like, with just the image zoomed to 400%, and the 100% Reason application zoom in both.


R11 vs R12 at 100% (400% enlargement).png

and at original scale.

R11 vs R12 at 100%.png

It's disappointing noomy responded by assuming you were correct rather than trusting his own eyes!
Uh, yes it was 100% application zoom, I even wrote that in my post.
It’s disappointing you responded by assuming I was incorrect.
That’s exactly how it looks on my screen, which you cannot see.
Out of an abundance of caution, I checked again and got exactly the same results as I posted originally.
I have nothing more to add, except maybe it’s different on your screen which I cannot see.

[nevermind, I DO have something more to add - a screen shot showing the same R12 100% shot I originally posted zoomed up to 400% in the photo editor along side of the same area at 200% and 240%. Nice star screws! Point being, this picture would be impossible if my original shot was NOT taken at 100%. (you may need to open them in a new window/tab to see both of my images at full resolution)
Image
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2702
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 06 Sep 2021

selig wrote:
06 Sep 2021
Uh, yes it was 100% application zoom, I even wrote that in my post.
It’s disappointing you responded by assuming I was incorrect.
That’s exactly how it looks on my screen, which you cannot see.
Out of an abundance of caution, I checked again and got exactly the same results as I posted originally.
I have nothing more to add, except maybe it’s different on your screen which I cannot see.

[nevermind, I DO have something more to add - a screen shot showing the same R12 100% shot I originally posted zoomed up to 400% in the photo editor along side of the same area at 200% and 240%. Nice star screws! Point being, this picture would be impossible if my original shot was NOT taken at 100%. (you may need to open them in a new window/tab to see both of my images at full resolution)
Image
Is this on a Mac laptop?

That definitely has a much higher pixel density than Windows at 100%, and I know that the default Display zoom for my mac's retina display is 170% (and you cannot even set it anywhere close to 100% zoom). Your image also has roughly the same pixel density as Reason in Windows with 160% zoom.

So while Reason might be set to 100%, on a retina display, you also have to factor in the display zoom which increases pixel density. This is also why high-resolution is so important for mac users.
---

tranceemerson
Posts: 4
Joined: 07 Jul 2021

Post 06 Sep 2021

The play bar at the bottom, the browser tools, and the tracks in the sequencer all need to have sprites replaced with vector graphics (or to be bilinear filtered) to eliminate distortion in the UI when scaling up or down.

When screenshotting VST plugins on a secondary display they come in solid black.

Window contents is not consistent when dragging VST wrapper windows or the on screen keyboard to a display with a different zoom level (I was able to fix this partially by changing the DPI settings from app to system in the application properties)

What I want to see; a selection in the application zoom settings to pick "System Scale", which would use your System Scale to set the zoom level.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9458
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 06 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
06 Sep 2021
selig wrote:
06 Sep 2021
Uh, yes it was 100% application zoom, I even wrote that in my post.
It’s disappointing you responded by assuming I was incorrect.
That’s exactly how it looks on my screen, which you cannot see.
Out of an abundance of caution, I checked again and got exactly the same results as I posted originally.
I have nothing more to add, except maybe it’s different on your screen which I cannot see.

[nevermind, I DO have something more to add - a screen shot showing the same R12 100% shot I originally posted zoomed up to 400% in the photo editor along side of the same area at 200% and 240%. Nice star screws! Point being, this picture would be impossible if my original shot was NOT taken at 100%. (you may need to open them in a new window/tab to see both of my images at full resolution)
Image
Is this on a Mac laptop?

That definitely has a much higher pixel density than Windows at 100%, and I know that the default Display zoom for my mac's retina display is 170% (and you cannot even set it anywhere close to 100% zoom). Your image also has roughly the same pixel density as Reason in Windows with 160% zoom.

So while Reason might be set to 100%, on a retina display, you also have to factor in the display zoom which increases pixel density. This is also why high-resolution is so important for mac users.
In the end, all we can do is report what we see on our screens using the exact same settings for application zoom. I never meant to imply anything with my post, just reporting!
Selig Audio, LLC

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: AttenuationHz, avasopht, CommonCrawl [Bot], Exowildebeest, guitfnky, Namyo85, PhillipOrdonez, selig and 9 guests