Reason 12 when idle sends my CPU and Fans into overdrive

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FiatLux

02 Sep 2021

Just opening my template file in Reason 12 is making my CPU and fans go into overdrive.
I can open the template file in Reason 11 Suite without any problem.
Looking at Activity monitor, just opening file without playing a note, Reason 12 is using 425% the CPU usage
compared to Reason 11 Suite.
Same results on two separate Macs (iMac 2018 and MacBookPro Late 2019).

zabukowski

02 Sep 2021

Most likely Reason is scaning your locations in the background.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7524173

Other possibility is that HiRes assets are being rendered in the background.

LaudusDeWire

02 Sep 2021

Same here. Thanks for your comment! Already start thinking if I really like R12 if even an empty song starts to heat up the MacBook…

Thanks and all the best
Soundcloud

:reason: R12 | 🎹 Sequential Pro 3 | 🥁 Arturia Drum Brute Impact | 🎛 Synapse Dune 3

EnochLight

02 Sep 2021

FiatLux wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Just opening my template file in Reason 12 is making my CPU and fans go into overdrive.
Looking at Activity monitor, just opening file without playing a note, Reason 12 is using 425% the CPU usage
When you first launch Reason 12, any devices you load need to cache hi-res assets, one time only, at whatever zoom level you have selected. For the record, once the hi-res assets are cached once, it'll never happen again and loading devices will be instant, with no lag. But if you have (say for instance) 100 Rack Extensions, you need to load all 100 at least once - at whatever zoom level you've chosen - to get those assets to cache.

What version of MacOS are you on?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Maxsu

02 Sep 2021

EnochLight wrote:
02 Sep 2021
FiatLux wrote:
02 Sep 2021
When you first launch Reason 12, any devices you load need to cache hi-res assets, one time only, at whatever zoom level you have selected. For the record, once the hi-res assets are cached once, it'll never happen again and loading devices will be instant, with no lag. But if you have (say for instance) 100 Rack Extensions, you need to load all 100 at least once - at whatever zoom level you've chosen - to get those assets to cache.

What version of MacOS are you on?
This seems legit. Thanks

FiatLux

03 Sep 2021

I am also having absolutely horrendous performance on Reason 12.
I let everything index for over 24-hours. I also confirmed that the size of the index file is no longer increasing,
which seems to indicate that the indexing is. complete. So it should not be an issue of creating a cache file.
Still, Reason 11 Suite vs Reason 12 on two different Macs runs over 400% percent better when you look at the CPU usage.
In addition my fan in Reason 12 is going into overdrive just hitting a few notes of the default Europa patch.
Getting audio clicks all over with R12 as well. At the moment it is honestly unusable on two different Macs (both pretty current, an i9 and an i7). I even tried updating one from Catalina to Big Sur...but no change in R12 performance.
I don't know what else to look at, but I am pretty disappointed. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. In the meantime I have to keep working in R11 Suite, because R12 just straight-up isn't working adequately.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Sep 2021

Checking the task manager I realised the CPU was constantly at 100% and Reason was behaving sluggishly. At first I though it was indexing but then checked my preferences and noticed the hyperthread tick box was ticked. Disabling hyperthreading brought the cpu to normal levels and Reason was flying again.

• Information