Reason 10 vs 12

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MarkTarlton

01 Sep 2021

I just am demoing R12 and here are a couple things that I noticed right away compared to R10.

1 - when you open 12 and switch back to 10 it makes you scan all of your plug ins/VST's every time which takes a while in my case, like several minutes. If you try to hit skip in R12 you get the beach ball spinning.

2 - R12 can't load as many Europa patches before it chokes out my system, plus it's more sluggish which I would expect, but it seems to be much more sluggish even doing very simple tasks starting with an empty session.

3 - Small detail, but I like how auto naming in R10 works, if you create a lot of the same devices by duplicating it keeps the number of the duplicates visible without having to click on the name of each device, in R12 it doesn't do that.

I am sure there is more, but this is after my first 30 minutes of trialing R12, it does look a lot better!!

jam-s

03 Sep 2021

The sluggishness of R12 after start-up could be from background tasks that are running (indexing the sample/refill folders) pre-rendering hires assets, etc.). Check if there is drive activity. If there is it's most likely the indexer running. Depending on the size of your sample/refill collection it might take a few minutes to several hours to complete.

FiatLux

03 Sep 2021

I let everything index for over 24-hours. I also confirmed that the size of the index file is no longer increasing,
which seems to indicate that the indexing is. complete.
Still, Reason 11 Suite vs Reason 12 on two different Macs runs over 400% percent better when you look at the CPU usage.
In addition my fan in Reason 12 is going into overdrive just hitting a few notes of the default Europa patch.
Getting audio clicks all over with R12 as well. At the moment it is honestly unusable on two different Macs (both pretty current, an i9 and an i7). I even tried updating one from Catalina to Big Sur...but no change in R12 performance.
I don't know what else to look at, but I am pretty disappointed. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. In the meantime I have to keep working in R11 Suite, because R12 just straight-up isn't working adequately.

• Information