R12: The new browser is broken

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

So, in all the excitement over the updated combinator, has anyone tried the "new" browser yet?

Try this, navigate to a folder where you have a few hundred or even thousands of samples. We all got those right?
Watch the progress bar take a good few seconds to complete before you can see the contents of your folder. Cool, now that one's indexed right? WRONG.
Or at least partly wrong as the index is scrapped on exit.

Restart Reason and go to the same folder and watch it get indexed again. Now imagine searching through all of those folders auditioning samples and you see where this is going... Back to R11.

bigguy1

01 Sep 2021

Are you sure that the indexing process was completed before exiting? I don't see any indicator if indexing is running and I could imagine that all of this does not work properly before indexing has finished.

Does anybody know how to see if indexing was completed?

Loque

01 Sep 2021

Has the content of the folder changed? Maybe some app is writing into it?
Reason12, Win10

Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

bigguy1 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Are you sure that the indexing process was completed before exiting? I don't see any indicator if indexing is running and I could imagine that all of this does not work properly before indexing has finished.
I suppose the indexing is complete when the "scanning contents" dialog disappears?
Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Has the content of the folder changed? Maybe some app is writing into it?
Nope, it's static as can be.
It's not just samples BTW, it's everything. Try browsing through some of the big PX7 refills for example. Or any folder with more than 20 files in it. It's excruciating :x

DaveyG

01 Sep 2021

There was a guy in the beta programme who reported a similar thing. Not sure what the outcome was.

Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

DaveyG wrote:
01 Sep 2021
There was a guy in the beta programme who reported a similar thing. Not sure what the outcome was.
That could have been me ;)

Seriously, is no one else experiencing this?

Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

I made a short video to share my pain. This is just me trying to enjoy myself (and failing) pressing the down arrow in the PX7 browser pointing at one of the big PX7 refills.

Loque

01 Sep 2021

Yea, looks buggy.
Reason12, Win10

bigguy1

01 Sep 2021

Arrant wrote:
01 Sep 2021

I suppose the indexing is complete when the "scanning contents" dialog disappears?
I don't see that dialog. Please can you make a screenshot or explain how to see that dialog?

bigguy1

01 Sep 2021

Do you mean the dialog which shows up, when you open one folder? That cannot be the indexing dialog. I would assume that indexing runs in the background and scans all folders automatically - not just when you enter a folder.

Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

bigguy1 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I don't see that dialog. Please can you make a screenshot or explain how to see that dialog?
You can see it in my video above. I suppose dialog is the wrong term, it’s a small window that you can’t interact with so technically it’s more of a monolog ;)

It shows up when you open a big folder and gives you a progress bar while you wait. In the video it also shows up while changing patches, which seems totally wrong.

Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

bigguy1 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Do you mean the dialog which shows up, when you open one folder? That cannot be the indexing dialog. I would assume that indexing runs in the background and scans all folders automatically - not just when you enter a folder.
That’s the one. What you are assuming makes perfect sense, but that doesn’t mean it’s implemented like that in Reason. On the contrary I see no evidence of it.

bigguy1

01 Sep 2021

You might be right :-(

And really I am wondering how this search is working. I have a folder for samples with al lot of different samples which I collected over the years. When I search for Kick in Reason and in the Windows Explorer I get totally different results. Does the search go down all the way in the foder hierarchy?

Indexing seems to be completed, because when I start reason I can see no HDD-Access when Reason is idle. Maybe this will be clearer in a few days...

joeyluck

01 Sep 2021

If you have ticket created for it in the beta, check up on it, and follow-up with your notes about having the issue in the stable version.

mtbh

01 Sep 2021

Tried to search a folder with lots of .wavs and typed in Snare.. nothing happens?

Tried the same with a refill and I got results from that! So I am puzzled. Anyone know why?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

01 Sep 2021

Indexing is happening in the background and indexes what you've put in your locations (i.e. the browser side bar). Depending on what's there, this can take more or less time. While it's indexing we fall back to what we call "slow search", i.e. the regular old searching that doesn't use the new database we're currently indexing. The dialog you're seeing is the slow search, so not building the index but just showing you the folder contents

So, for best results: put the locations you want to search often in the browser sidebar (aka "your locations"), let Reason build the index (we're adding better visibility of this, it's not super obvious when this is done to the user now), and then search should be near instant.

If you still experience any sluggishness or weird behavior after a few hours (again it could be minutes, completely dependent on how big your index is, drive speed and what else you're doing—it's low priority threads), please contact support so we can look into it!

Hope that helps!

VIVIsect

01 Sep 2021

Any hope that we'll ever have the ability to drag and drop from Reason's browser to VST?

mtbh

01 Sep 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Indexing is happening in the background and indexes what you've put in your locations (i.e. the browser side bar). Depending on what's there, this can take more or less time. While it's indexing we fall back to what we call "slow search", i.e. the regular old searching that doesn't use the new database we're currently indexing. The dialog you're seeing is the slow search, so not building the index but just showing you the folder contents

So, for best results: put the locations you want to search often in the browser sidebar (aka "your locations"), let Reason build the index (we're adding better visibility of this, it's not super obvious when this is done to the user now), and then search should be near instant.

If you still experience any sluggishness or weird behavior after a few hours (again it could be minutes, completely dependent on how big your index is, drive speed and what else you're doing—it's low priority threads), please contact support so we can look into it!

Hope that helps!
I have 169.000 wave files over 30 gb. It would be neat if I could just say.. " do this at max speed I will take a break from the PC - OK".

It is a lot of files, even though many of them are rather small.

buddard
RE Developer

01 Sep 2021

VIVIsect wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Any hope that we'll ever have the ability to drag and drop from Reason's browser to VST?
Are you talking about drag and drop of audio files?
Drag and drop is usually a matter of passing the full pathname of a file from one app to another, and then it's up to the receiving app to open the file and read its contents.
So drag and drop from Reason to a VST plugin would be very difficult or maybe even impossible to pull off, because how will it work if the sample is contained in a ReFill or in the song itself? A VST will not be able to read any of those...

The reason that drag and drop works with REs is that Reason + REs is a self-contained, tightly integrated system where Reason handles the sample loading and basically passes a sample buffer to the RE. This level of integration doesn't currently exist between VSTs and their hosts.

VIVIsect

01 Sep 2021

buddard wrote:
01 Sep 2021
VIVIsect wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Drag and drop is usually a matter of passing the full pathname of a file from one app to another, and then it's up to the receiving app to open the file and read its contents.
So drag and drop from Reason to a VST plugin would be very difficult or maybe even impossible to pull off, because how will it work if the sample is contained in a ReFill or in the song itself? A VST will not be able to read any of those...

The reason that drag and drop works with REs is that Reason + REs is a self-contained, tightly integrated system where Reason handles the sample loading and basically passes a sample buffer to the RE. This level of integration doesn't currently exist between VSTs and their hosts.
Yes, I'm talking about being able to simply toss a .wav file from Reason's browser into a VST:

It's rather funny to me that I'm able to open two separate VSTs and drag a sample from one VST's browser and drop it into another VST, but I can't even do that from my DAWs browser. It's... absurd:

stratatonic

01 Sep 2021

VIVIsect wrote:
01 Sep 2021
buddard wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Yes, I'm talking about being able to simply toss a .wav file from Reason's browser in a VST:

[img]https://i.img ur.com/Cp0zvZ4.gif[/img]
I can use Reaper's Browser along side of Reason to preview audio and midi and drag it into Reason sequencer. I can also drag and drop audio files from Reaper's browser into Kontakt VST in Reason. . So, you'd think it should be possible for RS to get it done with Reason's browser as well. Still waiting four versions for improvements... :( Sadly, this upgrade really doesn't deserve the "vastly improved browser" claim.
Last edited by stratatonic on 02 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Arrant
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Hope that helps!
Thanks Mattias for your explanation, I guess I will open R12 and just let it sit there for a day or so and see what happens.
We are talking half a million files, hundreds of gigabytes, so it can certainly take hours to index. There's no way to see the progress of this background indexing?
VIVIsect wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Hey, get your own thread you peg-legged, parrot-shagging pirate :puf_wink:

dan_g

02 Sep 2021

i have something similar to report. im trying out the free 7 day trial of r+ now to test if 12 fits my needs. my reason runs for a couple of hours in the background now to let it index my sample library.

everytime i type somthing in the searchbar my reason freezes for 10 secs and the starts to search.

also i have one thing thant bugs me a little. everytime i want to search for samples i have to select a location first. i would find it more usefull when it actually automatically searches all of my locations. or am i missing something here?
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

joeyluck

02 Sep 2021

dan_g wrote:
02 Sep 2021
also i have one thing thant bugs me a little. everytime i want to search for samples i have to select a location first. i would find it more usefull when it actually automatically searches all of my locations. or am i missing something here?
New in Reason 12 is being able to search All Locations. Just select it in the browser:

All Locations.gif
All Locations.gif (117.71 KiB) Viewed 4334 times

All Locations includes anything you have in your sidebar. So be sure to add/remove things you care to search.

• Information