Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DaveyG

02 Sep 2021

lowtom wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Combi 2 is great. I do not care about Mimic or HD graphics. I wanted advanced Combi so badly in the past, but now that I have it, I realised I will make even less music. Drowning in designing/patching instead and I'm not sure if I want to.
I think I will use my 333 with R+ to play a little and stick to 11 for now. For me 12 still feels like beta.
For a while at least, Combi 2 will turn everyone into programmers rather than musicians!

Nick Hope

02 Sep 2021

Can the Reason Rack in Reason 12 be zoomed/scaled in Reaper so I can see the controls? That would be enough for me to upgrade.

Yonatan

02 Sep 2021

Buggy releases seems to be the new normal, and one can wait quite long into a release until it maybe get a fix. If it wasnt for the 5gb download everytime RS makes an update, I would not be bothered that much, but having to download that every bug fix update, is a bit taxing.
My experience is that on a laptop without dedicated graphic card with its own RAM,
R12 is not usable for music production.
Wont be upgrading anytime soon.
Hope things get better optimized.

jam-s

02 Sep 2021

Yonatan wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Buggy releases seems to be the new normal, and one can wait quite long into a release until it maybe get a fix. If it wasnt for the 5gb download everytime RS makes an update, I would not be bothered that much, but having to download that every bug fix update, is a bit taxing.
Buggy releases are part of the agile development ethos: "Release early, release often." And as that is the majority of companies (and aperantly RS also) adopted this model over the waterfall one you now get (broken) features earlier in the development cycle.

Loque

02 Sep 2021

jam-s wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Yonatan wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Buggy releases are part of the agile development ethos: "Release early, release often." And as that is the majority of companies (and aperantly RS also) adopted this model over the waterfall one you now get (broken) features earlier in the development cycle.
You forget another one of the agile things: Always have releasable software (quality)".

I think, RS is trying to make a transformation now and this can take some time for sure...
Reason12, Win10

tiker01

02 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2021
jam-s wrote:
02 Sep 2021

You forget another one of the agile things: Always have releasable software (quality)".

I think, RS is trying to make a transformation now and this can take some time for sure...
Hopefully bugfix updates will be smaller as they don't need to contain the sound banks. We will see.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Michaellos

02 Sep 2021

Michaellos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Let me know how it goes. I'll be keeping a close eye on things like these before I rush to upgrade.
Ok, I need a day or two to draw some conclusions. And, as I can see, I am not the only one disappointed
TritoneAddiction So, after playing with Reason 12 for a while I have to say that I would not recomend to buy the upgrade the way it is at the moment. Reason 12 has worse performance comparing with Reason 11 and is full of bugs. And again, as I can see, it's not just my experience. I have made a ticket and sent it to RS support. I purchased R 11 with R 12 included in May, so I got back to R 11 and I will install R 12 again only when bugs will be fixed and Reason will be optimized . If everything will be left as it is, I will be furious

jam-s

02 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2021
jam-s wrote:
02 Sep 2021

In practise this means: "The CI did not beak during build. So ship it." :D

Also test coverage for any non-trivial software is never 100% and CI/unit tests for UI is not that easy. Then there are also conceptual design or logic bugs that won't be caught with any of those.
Given its complexity I still think Reason is a pretty stable product.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

The UI is smoother on my desktop ... not tried on my much older laptop (i5 with some Geforce GPU).

moalla

02 Sep 2021

ProfessaKaos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
moalla wrote:
01 Sep 2021
first i´ve got a failure with the orkester soundbank, but also without some sounds the installation worked
first the visual represantation hangs, but after 20seconds the graphics run smooth.
First impression nice, it really looks different to the old gui, but the best thing for me Reason now runs smoother and my 12core cpu could make much more reason task :thumbup:
I´m coming from 10 and yeah beatmap is a nice gimik, but quartet and sweeper are not my case in conclusion to things like synapse analog phaser etc.
Really amazing thing with a customizable combinator and now i must learn some new stuff what i can do with the sequencer.
nice night folks
What is your 12 core CPU? I have a 12core cpu also, so curious which CPU you are referring to.
Also what do you mean by "my 12core cpu can make much more reason task"?
I use a Ryzen 3900x with Patriot 3600 cl1719191938 Ram on b550 mainboard. Yeah now in the taskmanager win 10 Van handle a higher load per core, was my feel also now reason are able to make more tasks i think, but someone from reason can give us more information about technical new features.
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

altron

02 Sep 2021

Noplan wrote:
01 Sep 2021
The new UI zooming is kind of clumsy isn't it?
Is it possible to zoom with Ctrl + mouse wheel?
Nope, the UI zoom doesn't work like that at all. There are a few hard-coded zoom levels that you can set in the Options menu and that's it. And all of Reason's UI is zoomed at the same level, even the bottom bar. Sometimes the new HD resolutions seem not even being reflected on some REs, texts and other UI elements such as the play/stop button and they still look pixeled when having zoomed the UI.

I can imagine the new zooming feature must have been a major technical challenge for RS but the result doesn't work out that well in practice.
Not saying I don't welcome the zooming feature, it certainly beats having to use the Windows Magnifier tool but it could have been integrated so much smarter.
Trap is where music goes to die.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

Michaellos wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Michaellos wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Ok, I need a day or two to draw some conclusions. And, as I can see, I am not the only one disappointed
TritoneAddiction So, after playing with Reason 12 for a while I have to say that I would not recomend to buy the upgrade the way it is at the moment. Reason 12 has worse performance comparing with Reason 11 and is full of bugs. And again, as I can see, it's not just my experience. I have made a ticket and sent it to RS support. I purchased R 11 with R 12 included in May, so I got back to R 11 and I will install R 12 again only when bugs will be fixed and Reason will be optimized . If everything will be left as it is, I will be furious
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Good to know. I'll stick to my initail plan then and wait to let Reason Studios sort out what needs to be sorted out.

Noplan
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021

Nope, the UI zoom doesn't work like that at all. There are a few hard-coded zoom levels that you can set in the Options menu and that's it. And all of Reason's UI is zoomed at the same level, even the bottom bar.
Oh dear, that doesn't seem to be finished yet. But at least the foundation has been laid. ;)

stratatonic

02 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Noplan wrote:
01 Sep 2021

Is it possible to zoom with Ctrl + mouse wheel?
No, but on macOS I assigned some of the zoom levels as keyboard shortcuts via macOS System Prefs.

Such as: [+] for 140%, and [-] for 80%, and [0] for 100%
It won’t let me use [+] . I can use cmd & +, but it’s not working. Maybe my target is wrong - what did you type in? Thanks.

stratatonic

02 Sep 2021

Noplan wrote:
02 Sep 2021
altron wrote:
02 Sep 2021

Nope, the UI zoom doesn't work like that at all. There are a few hard-coded zoom levels that you can set in the Options menu and that's it. And all of Reason's UI is zoomed at the same level, even the bottom bar.
Oh dear, that doesn't seem to be finished yet. But at least the foundation has been laid. ;)
It’s pretty awful. :(

joeyluck

02 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
02 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2021

No, but on macOS I assigned some of the zoom levels as keyboard shortcuts via macOS System Prefs.

Such as: [+] for 140%, and [-] for 80%, and [0] for 100%
It won’t let me use [+] . I can use cmd & +, but it’s not working. Maybe my target is wrong - what did you type in? Thanks.
Actually I assigned = since on my macbook I would have to hold shift with the =/+ key to get +

stratatonic

02 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2021
stratatonic wrote:
02 Sep 2021

Actually I assigned = since on my macbook I would have to hold shift with the =/+ key to get +
Hmmm...I can’t get that to work either. :( what is your actual target destination to get it to zoom 140?
(I go to system preferences/keyboard/shortcuts/click App shortcuts/+/Application:Reason 12)
What is your Menu Title?

QVprod

02 Sep 2021

Nick Hope wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Can the Reason Rack in Reason 12 be zoomed/scaled in Reaper so I can see the controls? That would be enough for me to upgrade.
Yes the plugin has the zoom option as well

carllackey

02 Sep 2021

wow! not one update or feature add to the sequencer. i truly believe being a full daw is not in the cards...

joeyluck

02 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
02 Sep 2021
joeyluck wrote:
02 Sep 2021

Hmmm...I can’t get that to work either. :( what is your actual target destination to get it to zoom 140?
(I go to system preferences/keyboard/shortcuts/click App shortcuts/+/Application:Reason 12)
What is your Menu Title?
I just used "140%"
I tried to set it with a sub-menu setting, using something like "Application Zoom -> 140%" as suggested in other forums, but that didn't work for me. So I just went with "140%" and it works. For now it's ok since there's no other menu settings of the same names for zoom percentages... But let me know if you manage to get it to work with sub-menu targets.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

carllackey wrote:
02 Sep 2021
wow! not one update or feature add to the sequencer. i truly believe being a full daw is not in the cards...
They can't work on everything at the same time.

Mimic, high resolution support (which required building high resolution versions of all stock devices) and Combinator 2 took as long as they took.

Work on the sequencers would mean they have to have dropped at least one of those. For this release they worked on these features ... doesn't mean anything not worked on will be discontinued.

certifiedbeatz

02 Sep 2021

Reading the posts I'm a bit disappointed wow I was looking forward to upgrading and being on the fence about reason + I thought that the main reason was to give user fir dibs on releases and would work on reported bugs before box copies for us to have bug free.. i got to wait smh..

Tenbrink

02 Sep 2021

I upgraded to R11 from 9.5 within the grace period so got R12 yesterday.
Is it to be expected that R12 uses more CPU than R11 for the exact same song? I saw huge performance improvements when going from 9.5 to 11 so it's a pity to see these gains diminished. R12 is better than R9, but still worse than R11 performance wise.

Edit: on further examination I find that while it still uses more CPU than R11 I'm happy to see that my fourth CPU core finally does something instead of just idling and that also my GPU does some graphical lifting! I didn't expect GPU graphics to be in the first stable. However I would've expected that the CPU usage would go down a little when handling over some of the graphical workload to the GPU plus also that the fourth core now does some work, but that is not what I'm seeing on a core by core basis.

Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

Is there a low resolution settings?
My war laptop i3 integrated graphics ls sweating hard smearing at all
this hi-res stuff...

EnochLight

02 Sep 2021

Re8et wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Is there a low resolution settings?
My war laptop i3 integrated graphics ls sweating hard smearing at all
this hi-res stuff...
Running Reason 12 at 100% zoom should theoretically just display standard resolution assets. Could be wrong, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information