Reason 12 has arrived

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
craste

01 Sep 2021

Well done Reason Studios.

HD graphics look great (but I never really had an issue before). I don't use combinaters as I'm a preset type of guy and not into sound design. The Mimic sampler looks good but not really into sampling. Never had an issue searching for instruments or samples.

This is the first time ever I've not upgraded on release day, I'll wait until there are some sequencer improvements before I stump up the cash, as otherwise I'm paying £129 for shiny skins.

Some people will be creaming in their pants at the combi2 and Mimic but looking at social media, the vast majority are crying out for sequencer improvments in the comments!!

I woke up this morning wanting to see a few sequencer suprises but it wasn't to be. They can't please everybody I suppose.

I wonder when we will see some Sequencer improvments though?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

Michaellos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
The very first impressions - now it takes more time for the devices to load into the rack, going through patches also became longer sometimes... performance got worse for me :(
Oh no. Was just going to ask about if anyone who had upgraded had any noticed any difference/issues regarding these sort of things. This is kind of a deal breaker for me whether I'll upgrade or not. I'm all for the new fun stuff. But if performance gets worse, I'm not sure I'm in.
Before people said it wasn't fair to judge the performance because it was early access and it was only beta version. I guess one could still say "They will probably improve it". But I'm not really persuaded by that argument. "Probably" doesn't do it for me. We all know RS fixes some things while others don't get fixed at all. If I'm gonna buy something I'm only buying it for the state that IS in, not for the state it MIGHT be in later.

QVprod

01 Sep 2021

plaamook wrote:
01 Sep 2021
So basically you can use the new mixer channel to combine combinators?...
Use it like an old style combi but add C2’s into it? More than one?
I don’t have 12 but I’m curious.
For FX, sort of yes. It's not putting a a Combi inside of a Combi, but at least FX combos can be chained now. For instruments it's still a no.

guitfnky

01 Sep 2021

craste wrote:
01 Sep 2021
you mean in the Reason plugin?*

*which also includes a DAW, I guess
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Exowildebeest

01 Sep 2021

Combinator 2 is very cool. Slick, easy to use design. Those alignment lines are very helpful. Super Mario Maker vibes indeed. I do think it needs more control elements though - I'm genuinely surprised there isn't a vertical fader in there, let alone something groovy like an XY pad. It's a bit barebones right now. I hope more will be added :)

QVprod

01 Sep 2021

Proud to have contributed some patches and see a few of them included in the promo video! Here's 2 of them!

IMG_3187.png
IMG_3187.png (821.64 KiB) Viewed 41235 times
IMG_3192.png
IMG_3192.png (618.71 KiB) Viewed 41235 times

borracho

01 Sep 2021

On my M1 iMac Reason 12 is so slooooow - definitely some issues with graphics. As a plugin in Ableton it works fine though

craste

01 Sep 2021

guitfnky wrote:
01 Sep 2021
craste wrote:
01 Sep 2021
you mean in the Reason plugin?*

*which also includes a DAW, I guess
Ha ha, I know, I think we are flogging a dead horse.

Michaellos

01 Sep 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Michaellos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
The very first impressions - now it takes more time for the devices to load into the rack, going through patches also became longer sometimes... performance got worse for me :(
Oh no. Was just going to ask about if anyone who had upgraded had any noticed any difference/issues regarding these sort of things. This is kind of a deal breaker for me whether I'll upgrade or not. I'm all for the new fun stuff. But if performance gets worse, I'm not sure I'm in.
Before people said it wasn't fair to judge the performance because it was early access and it was only beta version. I guess one could still say "They will probably improve it". But I'm not really persuaded by that argument. "Probably" doesn't do it for me. We all know RS fixes some things while others don't get fixed at all. If I'm gonna buy something I'm only buying it for the state that IS in, not for the state it MIGHT be in later.
It's been about an hour or so since I am on Reason 12, I'll test it more later, of course, but but my first impressions were the ones I wrote above :? Possibly I will contact support. Anyway, if performance really got worse, it has to be fixed

AttenuationHz

01 Sep 2021

Atrocious! This is a release?? Full of bugs. Not optimised, slow and clunky. Feels like this is still a beta.

Zoom is especially bad. Zooming in should not resize the whole window. Why it resizes the browser window is another mystery. A lot of devices just look horrible when zoomed in. This is by far the worst release.

Did an excellent job with the new combinator, however it still looks like it is still in a testing phase, adding buttons/knobs etc are added way too close together so it becomes a task getting a layout you like.

I have no idea why you lot have decided to sink devices further into the rack, it wasn't broken.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 01 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

DaveyG

01 Sep 2021

Can you think of any other software company that would launch a new version without having a "What's New?" list and/or video on the home page? Instead we have to click a "Yes Please" button before we get to see the list. Maybe it's very clever marketing, or maybe it's a bit dumb.

joeyluck

01 Sep 2021

Noplan wrote:
01 Sep 2021
The new UI zooming is kind of clumsy isn't it?
Is it possible to zoom with Ctrl + mouse wheel?
No, but on macOS I assigned some of the zoom levels as keyboard shortcuts via macOS System Prefs.

Such as: [+] for 140%, and [-] for 80%, and [0] for 100%

miscend

01 Sep 2021

DaveyG wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Can you think of any other software company that would launch a new version without having a "What's New?" list and/or video on the home page? Instead we have to click a "Yes Please" button before we get to see the list. Maybe it's very clever marketing, or maybe it's a bit dumb.
That's what they normally do. They'll have a video and a new information page with what's new features table. But the priority is now Reason+ and the majority of new features won't be new to subscribers apart from the new combinator.

QVprod

01 Sep 2021

miscend wrote:
01 Sep 2021
DaveyG wrote:
01 Sep 2021
That's what they normally do. They'll have a video and a new information page with what's new features table. But the priority is now Reason+ and the majority of new features won't be new to subscribers apart from the new combinator.
Is it that big of a deal to have to click 1 button? And it takes you directly to the shop page where you can purchase a perpetual license.

Fraxis

01 Sep 2021

Anyone know why this page https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... combinator claims, in the Features section, that" "Combinators can now contain other Combinators inside." Pretty sure they can't. I have certainly never seen it mentioned before and doesn't work for me. A mistake in the text, or an unintentional reveal of future plans?

wereMole88

01 Sep 2021

So how does the new combinator work? I play in a band and I (automatically have bome midi translator) drag combinator presets into 2 combinators in my rack. The combinator controls are mapped to my MIDI controller and the preset decides where they go to.

With the new custom combinator controls can this work at all?

Jackjackdaw

01 Sep 2021

Checked out the demo. The HD looks great , Mimic looks meh and combi 2 looks pretty cool. Nice shiny decorations but no meat on the bone. I'd be better off spending my ton on Friktion because it does something I can't do with anything else I own.

QVprod

01 Sep 2021

Fraxis wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Anyone know why this page https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... combinator claims, in the Features section, that" "Combinators can now contain other Combinators inside." Pretty sure they can't. I have certainly never seen it mentioned before and doesn't work for me. A mistake in the text, or an unintentional reveal of future plans?
I think they meant 'Mix Channels" can contain combinators.

RoryM0

01 Sep 2021

Fraxis wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Yeah that's clearly wrong... unless this is an accidental info drop on a future improvement? ;)

Fraxis

01 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Fraxis wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I think they meant 'Mix Channels" can contain combinators.
Ah, okay. Hopefully someone from RS will see this and amend the text.

Fraxis

01 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Fraxis wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Yeah that's clearly wrong... unless this is an accidental info drop on a future improvement? ;)
I wouldn't say no to it as an option!

plaamook

01 Sep 2021

Fraxis wrote:
01 Sep 2021
That’s very interesting.
One of the reasons Im opting out is that combis still can’t contain combis.
I’m guessing this is a slip for a future update.

I’ll wait till then I guess. Let them work out all the (useless to me) hi res bugs!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

Michaellos wrote:
01 Sep 2021
TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2021

It's been about an hour or so since I am on Reason 12, I'll test it more later, of course, but but my first impressions were the ones I wrote above :? Possibly I will contact support. Anyway, if performance really got worse, it has to be fixed
Let me know how it goes. I'll be keeping a close eye on things like these before I rush to upgrade.

Billy+

01 Sep 2021

IMG_2802.PNG
IMG_2802.PNG (369.79 KiB) Viewed 41088 times

Definitely says combinators can now contain other combinators inside.

Dunderpatrullen

01 Sep 2021

altron wrote:
01 Sep 2021
So, Ok I upgraded to Reason 12 from 11.

First impression: Everything somehow feels more sluggish. It's the new UI rendering that supports upscaling but I know it's only slow at the first opening of any combi, or scrolling to any device. But it surely needs polish.
Same here!

Projects that runs really smooth on R11 now runs like 1FPS and trying to get VSTs in the master chain does not work :/

Anyone know a workaround for now?

OS W10 Pro
Processor Intel 10 core i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
RAM 64,0 GB
GPU Geforce 1080 Ti
HDD MP600 GEN4 NVME

• Information