Reason 11 Abandoned?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
exxx

01 Sep 2021

Is Reason 11 Abandoned?

Reason 11 discarded according to company policy without satisfactory updates for a year

there not enough updates for 11 users?

How can I trust these companies and pay for updates?

Proboscis

01 Sep 2021

exxx wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Is Reason 11 Abandoned?

Reason 11 discarded according to company policy without satisfactory updates for a year

Lol. You ask if they will update R11 on the day that R12 is being released.

R12 IS THE UPDATE.

So it's safe to say that R11 is 'discarded' with regards to expecting any free point updates

deeplink
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

Reason 11 received 11 point and point-point updates in its lifetime. I think that's the most out of all the versions released so far.

But ya, the next update to R11 is R12....
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Steedus
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2021

Someone posted on the 30sec youtube promo that they were genuinely pissed off that they felt ripped off for buying Reason 11 Suite, their reasoning seemed to stem from the fact that Reason+ existed and a new version was being released - as if this was a completely unheard of thing.... some people are .. interesting.

plaamook

01 Sep 2021

It depends on how you look at it.
We’ve had some pretty significant point updates in the past but 11 was an exception to this. I can’t even remember what was in those 11 point updates.
Bug fixes? Or something that was at least meaningless to how I work anyway.

I’ve felt disappointed with 11 as well but that’s just how these things go I guess. I’ve also made great music on 11 and used what few features it contained.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

QVprod

01 Sep 2021

exxx wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Is Reason 11 Abandoned?

Reason 11 came out in 2019. It's been 2 years.

jam-s

01 Sep 2021

plaamook wrote:
01 Sep 2021
We’ve had some pretty significant point updates in the past but 11 was an exception to this. I can’t even remember what was in those 11 point updates.

I’ve felt disappointed with 11 as well but that’s just how these things go I guess. I’ve also made great music on 11 and used what few features it contained.
I agree. At least they should have added hidpi compatibility as a free 11.5 update... (well, technically they still can.)

Loque

01 Sep 2021

jam-s wrote:
01 Sep 2021
plaamook wrote:
01 Sep 2021

I agree. At least they should have added hidpi compatibility as a free 11.5 update... (well, technically they still can.)
I don't think so. I guess the most UI code is rewritten.
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

01 Sep 2021

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2021
jam-s wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I don't think so. I guess the most UI code is rewritten.
Of course it is, but they could still just lockdown the combi V2 to supporting only compatibility mode, rip out mimic and ship this as Reason 11.5 if they wanted to do it.

deeplink
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

I can't believe Apple hasn't updated and simply ABANDONED the iPhone 5.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

EdGrip

02 Sep 2021

Can't believe they simply abandoned updating Ghostbusters when they released Ghostbusters 2

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

Point updates are for features planned for release that was late, or a preview for a feature they were able to slip into the older dev tree.

Once version X has reached gold, work starts on X+1, while bugs for X are addressed. Nobody starts working on features for X.5 after shipping version X for the sake of it otherwise X+1 will have much less development time (and you will all complain that there's hardly any new features).

So take your pick. Do you want a few features at launch followed by an X.5 update, or do you want more features at launch? You can't have it both ways because committing to X.5 updates for the mere sake of it means X+1 gets less time for development.

altron

02 Sep 2021

There's no such things like LTS patches for any specific major Reason version. This isn't Microsoft Windows! :-)
When a new major Reason release is delivered, that's the version that get's updates until the next major version. it has been like that since reason 1.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Social Exodus

02 Sep 2021

I used to code in Visual Basic back before the earth cooled. Bugs that existed in version 3 STILL existed in version 6 before .NET came along.

It's been my experience that companies tend to focus on new features unless a bug is so egregious that it affects a vast majority of their user base. In the end it's always about what makes a company the most money and what sort of hype you can put out there about what's shiny and new. Bugs are yesterday's news when you release a new version. Unfortunately this idea that half a user base in a forum are absolutely in love with the new version while the other half can understand why they don't just simply fix what's broken is nothing new.

Welcome to the 21st century lads.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

Reason 11 Suite is a hell of a banger, it sure would be cool if we 11 users could get the new combinator, without having to upgrade to high res...
I can't afford a new laptop, and I never got a laptop with discrete graphics, for durability reasons. Just no.
I see a big split here, there's no options for me to upgrade without ditching the high res stuff altogether.
I would love to keep the old low GPU settings and the 2.0 Combi.
If there was a different upgrade-update crossover where we 10-11 users can get the 2.0 combi, I'd go that way.
This RS 12 is more like Rs 2.0; we are in a completely new hw requirements slot.

challism

02 Sep 2021

I agree that 12 is the update, but I wish they would have created an update that fixes the audio recording latency issue that was introduced on one of the previous point updates. I think you have to go back to 11.3.4 to get rid of it, but then you are dealing with the memory leak issue. So one more point update to fix that latency issue would have been ideal... and the responsible thing to do, really, since it was an issues apparently caused by one of the point updates between 3.4 and 3.9.
Re8et wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Reason 11 Suite is a hell of a banger, it sure would be cool if we 11 users could get the new combinator, without having to upgrade to high res...
I can't afford a new laptop, and I never got a laptop with discrete graphics, for durability reasons. Just no.
I see a big split here, there's no options for me to upgrade without ditching the high res stuff altogether.
I would love to keep the old low GPU settings and the 2.0 Combi.
If there was a different upgrade-update crossover where we 10-11 users can get the 2.0 combi, I'd go that way.
This RS 12 is more like Rs 2.0; we are in a completely new hw requirements slot.
You can upgrade to high res and keep all your REs in their original low res state. That's what I have done on my laptop to save HDD space. So just the DAW and all its built-in devices are in high res, the rest are in low res. I don't see how this is a deal breaker, really... unless your laptop can't run R12 at all.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Billy+

02 Sep 2021

Yeah it's a shame that RS didn't attempt to fix 11 before bringing out 12 all I need was vst midi pass through and I would have been happy.

I definitely would have paid for an 11.5 that included CMBv2 and midi routing but there's no way I'm upgrading to 12 at the moment I mean 12.2

I wonder if RS will make 12.5 a major upgrade so perpetuals will have to pay again come Christmas when supposedly vst3 gets added ? It's already 12.2 and 11 got passed over at 11.3

Reason 12.2.0 Release Notes
https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes

Reason 11.3.9 Release Notes (Final Point Update)

Jackjackdaw

02 Sep 2021

Steinberg have a track record of releasing one more point update to the previous version a few months after the new version is released to tie up some of the loose ends. So the practice is not unheard of.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Yeah it's a shame that RS didn't attempt to fix 11 before bringing out 12 all I need was vst midi pass through and I would have been happy.

I definitely would have paid for an 11.5 that included CMBv2 and midi routing but there's no way I'm upgrading to 12 at the moment I mean 12.2

I wonder if RS will make 12.5 a major upgrade so perpetuals will have to pay again come Christmas when supposedly vst3 gets added ? It's already 12.2 and 11 got passed over at 11.3

No. You don't pay for point updates.

It's a silly suggestion.

Billy+

02 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Billy+ wrote:
02 Sep 2021

No. You don't pay for point updates.

It's a silly suggestion.
I didn't say that you did!

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
02 Sep 2021
I didn't say that you did!
Maybe I misunderstood, but you said "maybe they will make 12.5 a major upgrade so they have to pay" ...

shropshirelad

03 Sep 2021

avasopht wrote:
02 Sep 2021
Point updates are for features planned for release that was late, or a preview for a feature they were able to slip into the older dev tree.

Once version X has reached gold, work starts on X+1, while bugs for X are addressed. Nobody starts working on features for X.5 after shipping version X for the sake of it otherwise X+1 will have much less development time (and you will all complain that there's hardly any new features).

So take your pick. Do you want a few features at launch followed by an X.5 update, or do you want more features at launch? You can't have it both ways because committing to X.5 updates for the mere sake of it means X+1 gets less time for development.
For as long as I can remember (which is a long time), one of the most exciting things about being a Reason user has been the point updates, in particular the x.5 updates i.e. introduction of Rack Extensions in 6.5 and 'Hell Freezing Over' with the introduction of support for VST in 9.5. So can't agree that Reason point updates are merely for features that were late or previews.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2021

shropshirelad wrote:
03 Sep 2021
For as long as I can remember (which is a long time), one of the most exciting things about being a Reason user has been the point updates, in particular the x.5 updates i.e. introduction of Rack Extensions in 6.5 and 'Hell Freezing Over' with the introduction of support for VST in 9.5. So can't agree that Reason point updates are merely for features that were late or previews.
Was the introduction of Rack Extensions exciting because it came out at 6.5, or just because it was inherently exciting by itself?

Would it have been less exciting if it came out at launch? I doubt it.

Either way, what I'm getting at is that there are only three possibilities for feature releases:
1. Reason X comes out with 3 features
2. Reason X comes out with 2 features, and then X.5 has 1
3. Reason X comes out with 3 features, and then X.5 has one, but Reason X+1 has 2 features

That's the main (and inescapable) fact about feature releases.

To plan for an X.5 release means that one of two things are happening:
1. Development begins before the release of version X
2. Development begins after the release of version X

Typically development on X+1 begins once version X is finalized for the gold masters (or just launch for digital releases).

Planning for an X.5 release now means that some of your 10 units of development resources that would have gone to X+1 are now going to X.5.

There is no free lunch.

Going back to Rack Extensions - they were in development prior to 6.0. In fact, 6.0 featured Pulveriser and Alligator, which used an early version of the RE SDK. Ergo, no, looks like a feature that just overran. It most certainly wasn't ready for launch, meaning it was late for launch.

Either way, an X.5 release is not a free lunch. It must eat into the development time for X+1, meaning that Reason 7 had less development resources allocated to it since they don't have unlimited development resources.

No matter what happens, you have limited units of development resources, and a new feature will either be delivered to X.5 or X+1, but if it is released in X.5, it means that X+1 has fewer new features (and people might start foaming at the mouth).

It does look like they're going for more regular feature releases (especially with Reason+). But always know that asking for a major X.5 release means that X+1 must have fewer features at launch because development resources would have to be diverted to X.5.

jlgrimes

03 Sep 2021

exxx wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Is Reason 11 Abandoned?

I kind of feel like for the past 3 versions their main focus has been on the Rack Plugin. While Reason 10 didn't have a Rack Plugin, two major synths + 3 Rom modules hinted that they needed to update their synth lineup to have a competitive Rack Plugin. Definitely without Europa and Grain, if Reason 10 included the plugin without those devices, I think many users wouldn't have upgraded to the plugin. Many people were kind of disappointed at 10 while many enjoyed the synths, they came from nowhere and the 3rd party RE community was doing pretty good at the time.

Reason 11 did include midi editor/DAW improvements but it almost felt like they were kind of forced to after not including hardly anything for version 10 all the while the Plugin was the main focal point for version 11.

Version 12 still is basically about the Plug-in as a good Sampler for chopping loops was lacking and most DAWs more/less had some form of a Combinator device that started surpassing the original Combinator. The lower Res graphics was also severely needed as many Plug-in users probably was frustrated over opening a VST with a bunch of devices that look like they were built in the early 2000s. That said the Combinator is a huge improvement over the old one and you can see that they did put alot of time in developing that. The Browser though still seems neglected though as it still seems slow when trying to browse old patches on my external drive.

But that said if you aren't already on another DAW, it might be a good time to switch (or at least start trying the few Free to low costs DAWs available these days like Reaper, Cakewalk, Waveform, as those DAWs surpasses what Reason can do as a DAW in many areas). I think 3 major updates with little to no Midi editor/Core DAW improvements kind of mean their focus is now on the Instruments and creating a unique Plugin environment as other companies put alot more emphasis on their core DAW functions over built-in instruments. I also use Ableton, and Studio One and with their updates, it is hard to even count all of the new features they add where Reason it has been a low number for awhile. Reaper's major updates are usually minimal stuff but they throw in a lenghty amount of minor updates between major versions pretty much all focused on core DAW improvements as they include basically no instruments built-in and the structure of their DAW allows the users to create many Core DAW features they might be lacking at the time being, some of which are extremely powerful. Reaper is pretty deep though and can be very overwhelming from a midi standpoint, but for audio/mixing it stands up well against many of the expensive DAWs. That said though they did mention adding VST 3.0 by the end of this year so all might not be lost on the Standalone front.

12 is a pretty good update but it does feel like they are neglecting the Core DAW users and even many of the Reason tutorial folks on YouTube seem to be using it as a plugin themselves these days.

exxx

04 Sep 2021

It's hard to believe that users are so business friendly.

There is such a thing as a minimum update level. See other DAW updates. Work as much as you get paid . Reason did not properly update the existing users while expanding their business unnecessary.

If you look at the improvements in Reason 12, no matter how difficult a skill it may be (I don't really think so), their behavior could be renamed to 13 or 14 without any updates. why? To encourage you to use reason plus

• Information