Looking at Reason's stock EQs through an analyser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
miscend

20 Aug 2021

Looks like the stock Reason EQs exhibit frequency cramping near Nyquist. Most well designed EQs use decramping to sound more musical in the high frequency ranges.

12db at 1k

12db at 7k

12db at 1k

12db at 10k

Kategra

20 Aug 2021

Musically speaking, for me, it's irrelevant that the curve is not symmetrical and I don't get to boost or cut same number dBs at 15Khz+ as I do at 3Khz. But it would be nice if the graph in the EQ actually fallowed what it was doing to the audio at the current sample rate of the project.

PhillipOrdonez

20 Aug 2021

If you use the shelves there isn't any cramping.

guitfnky

20 Aug 2021

I think this is kind of the case with most stock plugins in most DAWs—want to say I saw a Dan Worrall video on that recently.

but to Kategra’s point, it’s not really relevant except in some academic sense in most cases. make EQ moves that sound good, with whatever EQ you’re using and you’ll get where you need to be. if one EQ doesn’t do what you need, use a different one (or just stack another).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

drno
RE Developer

20 Aug 2021

miscend wrote:
20 Aug 2021
12db at 1k
How do you get those graphics?

selig
RE Developer

20 Aug 2021

I looked into all this with ColoringEQ listening to existing EQs and even finding some EQs that don't show cramping on their display but ARE cramping when you measure them - and yet, I would never have guessed they were cramping because I haven't ever heard this as a "problem". Neither have I heard EQs with no cramping to sound any better because of that one difference, but have certainly not done exhaustive tests in this area.
I would call this a "non-issue" issue since it doesn't seem to stop folks from getting great sounds with EQs using either approach.
Selig Audio, LLC

chaosroyale

20 Aug 2021

yeah I have a lot of problems with Reason's outdated EQs, mostly related to UI and lack of bands, but the less-than perfect cramping response is not really a big deal. Even though I use non-cramping VSTs myself, I would be very hard pressed to notice the difference sonically.
selig wrote:
20 Aug 2021
I looked into all this with ColoringEQ listening to existing EQs and even finding some EQs that don't show cramping on their display but ARE cramping when you measure them - and yet, I would never have guessed they were cramping because I haven't ever heard this as a "problem". Neither have I heard EQs with no cramping to sound any better because of that one difference, but have certainly not done exhaustive tests in this area.
I would call this a "non-issue" issue since it doesn't seem to stop folks from getting great sounds with EQs using either approach.

miscend

20 Aug 2021

drno wrote:
20 Aug 2021
miscend wrote:
20 Aug 2021
12db at 1k
How do you get those graphics?
I used the Bertom Analyzer plug-in via a VST3 plugin bridge.

https://www.bertomaudio.com/eqca.html

motuscott

20 Aug 2021

Starting to cramp up.
Need more fiber
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

selig
RE Developer

20 Aug 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Aug 2021
yeah I have a lot of problems with Reason's outdated EQs, mostly related to UI and lack of bands, but the less-than perfect cramping response is not really a big deal. Even though I use non-cramping VSTs myself, I would be very hard pressed to notice the difference sonically.
selig wrote:
20 Aug 2021
SSL EQ will never be outdated!!! ;)
I would suggest the problem is in making a classic console EQ their primary EQ - but at least it's better than the MClass EQ IMO. The lack of a more powerful EQ in Reason is what led me to create ColoringEQ! Still, I love the SSL EQ for basic duties, working as well as any good console EQ should IMO (and the one I learned on all those years ago, so I'm biased!).

I think non-cramping designs may, repeat, MAY be useful for synth filters doing those long full range sweeps with high Q (but maybe not useful for much else).
But I typically never use a parametric in the top two octaves (5kHz and above), especially with such wide Q settings as to reveal cramping as shelves do a better job for me and do not have cramping! I would either be using a narrow Q to isolate something like sibilance, or a gentle shelf for broad strokes. So for me, a non-issue!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information