Mimic: RS Livestream 18 August (and new Combinator sneak peek)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deeplink
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2021

RS has confirmed the date of the Mimic Livestream for Wednesday 18 August 2021

https://youtu.be/YTB4HQhAcfc
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Creativemind

16 Aug 2021

Cool. Thanks for informing. I'll be watching.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Heigen5

18 Aug 2021

Yo! 40 minutes and it will be on!

deeplink
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Mattias just said that pitch detection will be in the full release version of Reason 12 :clap:
An update to a device already? Awesome!
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Matti

18 Aug 2021

Ryan's Combinator skin was awesome and looks very promising for what you can do with Combinator 2. Not just an upgrade, it seems like an overhaul.

joeyluck

18 Aug 2021

"Not your grandma's Combinator" (a sneak peek of Ryan's Combinator patch) :thumbup:

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 2.53.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 2.53.59 PM.png (948.81 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

Heigen5

18 Aug 2021

Awesome ! The new combi era starts soon!

BRIGGS

18 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
18 Aug 2021
"Not your grandma's Combinator" (a sneak peek of Ryan's Combinator backdrop) :thumbup:

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 2.53.59 PM.png
hmmmmm...Now I'm thinking eurorack.... :think:
r11s

Kilsane

18 Aug 2021

there will be plenty to have fun between
mimic and the Combinator 2

DaveyG

18 Aug 2021

The combi 2 is live on the Beta channel.

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2021

After watching the stream, I took one of my old tracks I was working on and fed it into mimic and used some slices to make a little pattern. Then I made a loop out of that with some other instruments added (bass, chords, etc) and did the same thing again. Churns out some pretty cool ideas very quickly!

First is the track unsampled, then the next two are the resampled variations with slicing

PhillipOrdonez

18 Aug 2021

Wow holy smokes, that combinator!!!!! 😲

Creativemind

18 Aug 2021

deeplink wrote:
18 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Mattias just said that pitch detection will be in the full release version of Reason 12 :clap:
An update to a device already? Awesome!
Yeah good news. Let's hope we see more swift and often updates like this going forward.

Mattius said that new Combinator will be out tomorrow or the next day too in the beta. Now I was on the beta but I did the $3 for 3 months subscription thing and the beta disappeared. Does anyone know if I can reinstall it or might it be in the Reason+, I know Reason+ is doubtful.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

slic

18 Aug 2021

It’s been out in the beta for a while, not in R+ beta channel, just the other beta!
Very confusing…I’m just going to wait 12 days I think.

Billy+

18 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Mattias said quite a few things during the stream about Reason+ / extending devices / regular feature updates.

I kinda don't understand what exactly has changed over say the last 10 years that somehow know means that more stuff can be added than previously (boxed vs downloading) any number of extras could have been included in a new update at any point easily as far back as V4?

On a more positive note that combinator skin looks interesting but that edit button has properly made me want to see more and if that's the size of the new device its big, let's hope it lives up to it......

Definitely the only V12 feature that I am looking forward to seeing more of :thumbup:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2021

Last edited by Carly(Poohbear) on 19 Aug 2021, edited 2 times in total.

PhillipOrdonez

18 Aug 2021

What has changed is the model; no longer working for 2 years on features to ready up a new release, instead the features can be released when they are ready and the end user can enjoy them (on Reason+) before the big release because they pay monthly. Perpetuals pay per upgrade like in the old days and they get the new features when such features are released every year or two or whatever time it takes for them to ready an upgrade package.

Get it now?

PhillipOrdonez

18 Aug 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Aug 2021
If you are buying into that new combinator shit then please give me what you are smoking... fucking pissed off..
Buying into it, not smoking anything. 😂

Billy+

18 Aug 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Aug 2021
If you are buying into that new combinator shit then please give me what you are smoking... fucking pissed off..
:lol: currently anything other than tobacco is illegal in the U.K. ;)

And I'm not buying anything until I see what I'm getting for the money (perpetual vs plus) what's the point in buying a license if you're not going to get everything that's released in a later updated. Like I said it's confusing and something that I will definitely be waiting to find out more about.

But I'm not denying that the combinator is definitely the most interesting part of V12 aside from what is actually going to happen with updates between the two branches....

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
18 Aug 2021
lwhat's the point in buying a license if you're not going to get everything that's released in a later updated. Like I said it's confusing and something that I will definitely be waiting to find out more about.
It's this simple: as soon as Reason N is released, and maybe a little earlier, development begins on features for Reason N + 1, or N + 2 (if it's a really major feature).

Some Reason N + 1 features will be ready a long time before release. For the last few decades you have been waiting using software for months or a couple of years while more advanced features are partially or fully developed.

This isn't because they're pulling a fast one. It's because they have to release a complete package with each version. So the "shiny boots" also have a pair of "shiny knee and elbow caps" to go with it.

If they didn't do that, some users (maybe you and I included) would be screaming bloody murder at their "lazy, unfinished upgrade" that has a pair of lonely boots that look out of place without the rest of the kit. Oh, and when N + 1 is released, all hell would break loose because 90% of the features would have already been added to Reason N.

This is how software has been developed and released across the multiverse and other realms since time immemorial.

Reason Studios is just giving you a sneak peak at N + 1. That's it.

You'll have noticed the outrage from some users at the first feature reveal. Remember that. Remember the vocal expressions of disappointment, even at mimic, prior to release.

Some people like to give others a hard time and kick and scream when they don't get their own way. They'll yell at the staff when they are angry, refuse to tip the waiter that bent over backwards for them because the food came late, and damn the world should they ever get the order slightly wrong.

So no, companies learned to stop telling users what they were working on. They became more distant. They need to drown out the vitriol but in the process the few useful bits of constructive criticism amidst the ocean whining and persistent complainers may have gotten lost.

I'm a little concerned for RS about the way the Reason 12 HD UI was rolled out the first time, because that imposed lower performance on what could be many people's only version of Reason - but I'm sure they'll improve the way they make those types of feature previews optional in the future.

Proboscis

18 Aug 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Let's see if the new Combinator fixes the most simple workflow oversight of labelling the automation tracks to the actual user-assigned names.

And are people in this thread thinking that the supplied screenshot is a customizable skin ? Because I highly doubt the product managers, architects and developers are capable of anything as groundbreaking as a user-customized layout of controls, graphical elements and functions. This looks to me nothing more than a VST dragged in to a rack, and the only advancement is that it's not a pop-out. Hardly a big deal, considering it's going to look like crap with VST that have aspect ratios very different to the rack dimensions.

While I *am* interested to see what the new Combinator offers, I have low expectations that it's going to offer much more than the original Combinator than more rotaries, buttons and slots.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2021

Proboscis wrote:
18 Aug 2021

And are people in this thread thinking that the supplied screenshot is a customizable skin ? Because I highly doubt the product managers, architects and developers are capable of anything as groundbreaking as a user-customized layout of controls, graphical elements and functions. This looks to me nothing more than a VST dragged in to a rack, and the only advancement is that it's not a pop-out. Hardly a big deal, considering it's going to look like crap with VST that have aspect ratios very different to the rack dimensions.
Let's make a wager then if you're so confident their developers are too incompetent to implement something they're more than capable of doing 😅

If you're wrong you have to upgrade, subscribe to R+ for a year, and set your avatar to "I heart Reason Studios".

If you're right, I'll start a go fund me to get you the next two upgrades for free!

QVprod

18 Aug 2021

Proboscis wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Let's see if the new Combinator fixes the most simple workflow oversight of labelling the automation tracks to the actual user-assigned names.

While I *am* interested to see what the new Combinator offers, I have low expectations that it's going to offer much more than the original Combinator than more rotaries, buttons and slots.
What makes you so sure? Combinator backdrops have always been customizable. Seems to line up with what they announced.
The Combinator in Reason 12 is overhauled to be fully customizable, more powerful, and easier than ever to work with. With the wealth of devices available to power it, you can build Combinators that feel like new devices. Create a custom interface with the controls you want laid out how you like, add images, set up expressive macro control
Source: https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/announcing-reason-12

Faastwalker

18 Aug 2021

I'm super intrigued now. Ryan was talking about a Combinator he'd created for the idea of a guitar pedal patch/device. He also mentioned Boss pedals. So I was expecting some custom control layouts over a background vaguely resembling a Boss type guitar FX pedal. Kind of like the sort of backdrop people used to make for the current Combinator. But with maybe more a much more configurable control layout. I guess that's pretty much what we may be looking at here. But this really intrigued me as it's a fantastic teaser for the sort of creativity and customisation people will be able to achieve in their Combinator 2 patches. Combinator was always a fantastic device. But as it's gotten older it's been crying out to go to the next level more and more. I really think this is it. I think people are going to do some amazing things with this. The new age of Combinator :cool: I'm excited for this so much.
joeyluck wrote:
18 Aug 2021
"Not your grandma's Combinator" (a sneak peek of Ryan's Combinator patch) :thumbup:

• Information