Mimic: RS Livestream 18 August (and new Combinator sneak peek)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

19 Aug 2021

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Aug 2021
If you are buying into that new combinator shit then please give me what you are smoking... fucking pissed off..
Everything okay man? :lol: Look, I swing like a pendulum between "Reason is the best" and "WHY DON'T I HAVE THE 6 THINGS I NEED". But ultimately I know that nobody owes me my own personal vision of what the program should be. There are options, and I know you're aware of them. VCV, Voltage Modular, Reaktor. Shouting at RS isn't gonna make them make Reason into any of those things.

I have some requests for Combinator 2 also, although from conversations I've had in the beta channel a number of them are already confirmed in the feature backlog. I won't say anymore than that, but it's definitely encouraging. I can think of a handful of things that will be in Combinator 2 at launch that were directly requested by beta testers. That's a good sign to me. I don't think there's any need for people to be *literally* angry at what it doesn't have at this point. Worse things going on in the world hey?

In the meantime, I think Combinator 2 is great. And I'm not smoking anything. I remember not so long ago, people were DREAMING of like, 8-16 rotaries. User definable panels wasn't on most of our minds. So to go from Combi 1 (which to be totally honest was SO limited I never used it) to Combi 2 (which I already have a head full of ideas for) is a really good thing IMO.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Aug 2021
... I swing like a pendulum between "Reason is the best" and "WHY DON'T I HAVE THE 6 THINGS I NEED" ...
So, not just me 😅

OverneathTheSkyBridg

19 Aug 2021

Just got around to watching the relevant parts of the livestream where Mattias demos Mimic. I wasn't initially impressed with Ryan's demo, but this livestream really showcased the power this device has. I've found myself leaning a lot more towards upgrading this September. The GUI update is pretty half assed, but adding this functionality and the Combi2 features will likely be worth the upgrade price. I spend more on booze and take out in a month anyways lol, these guys deserve it from what I've seen so far.

chimp_spanner

19 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
19 Aug 2021
chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Aug 2021
... I swing like a pendulum between "Reason is the best" and "WHY DON'T I HAVE THE 6 THINGS I NEED" ...
So, not just me 😅
Not at all! I mean I still know where I write best, and most. So I’m happy either way. Just a bit of teeth gritting once in a while haha.

Loque

19 Aug 2021

Entertaining and good stream.
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

19 Aug 2021

loopeydoug wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 Aug 2021
If you are buying into that new combinator shit then please give me what you are smoking... fucking pissed off..
That's a hot take from you, Poohbear. As a power user and one who's insight and knowledge of Reason I respect tremendously, your comment worries me. What revelations did you intuit from the teaser that lead to it? The new Combinator is the thing I've wanted most in the Reason world for years. If this goes poorly I'll be absolutely gutted.
I wouldn’t put too much stock in this statement. I doubt you’ll be absolutely gutted. Those in beta know.

arnigretar

19 Aug 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Entertaining and good stream.
Agree to this and look forward to the new combinator :)
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Creativemind

19 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
18 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Mattias just said that pitch detection will be in the full release version of Reason 12 :clap:
Mattias said quite a few things during the stream about Reason+ / extending devices / regular feature updates.

I kinda don't understand what exactly has changed over say the last 10 years that somehow know means that more stuff can be added than previously (boxed vs downloading) any number of extras could have been included in a new update at any point easily as far back as V4?

On a more positive note that combinator skin looks interesting but that edit button has properly made me want to see more and if that's the size of the new device its big, let's hope it lives up to it......

Definitely the only V12 feature that I am looking forward to seeing more of :thumbup:
I have the feeling that Ernst Nathorst-Boos had something to do with it. I think he was reluctant to add features but just a feeling I have. Since Mattias has took over as Product Manager, although still not often, it has gotten better.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

bxbrkrz

19 Aug 2021

Streamed live 23 hours ago

:D :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Billy+

19 Aug 2021

IMG_2791.PNG
IMG_2791.PNG (457.71 KiB) Viewed 2947 times

Now I'm not sure how official you could call it but it's definitely RS Ryan responding to the comment and it suggests vst3 should be added to Reason in 2021 but not as part of the official September release,

I wonder if midi vst pass through / routing is going to finally be available as well......

PhillipOrdonez

19 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
19 Aug 2021
IMG_2791.PNG

Now I'm not sure how official you could call it but it's definitely RS Ryan responding to the comment and it suggests vst3 should be added to Reason in 2021 but not as part of the official September release,

I wonder if midi vst pass through / routing is going to finally be available as well......
Nice

Billy+

19 Aug 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
19 Aug 2021
IMG_2791.PNG

Nice
What would be nice is getting Cthulhu Scaler Capitan Chords working in Reason real tools instead of the midi toys we currently have access to.

artotaku

19 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Billy+ wrote:
18 Aug 2021

Mattias said quite a few things during the stream about Reason+ / extending devices / regular feature updates.

I kinda don't understand what exactly has changed over say the last 10 years that somehow know means that more stuff can be added than previously (boxed vs downloading) any number of extras could have been included in a new update at any point easily as far back as V4?

On a more positive note that combinator skin looks interesting but that edit button has properly made me want to see more and if that's the size of the new device its big, let's hope it lives up to it......

Definitely the only V12 feature that I am looking forward to seeing more of :thumbup:
I have the feeling that Ernst Nathorst-Boos had something to do with it. I think he was reluctant to add features but just a feeling I have. Since Mattias has took over as Product Manager, although still not often, it has gotten better.
I believe he was reluctant about announcing coming features to public before the official launch had happened since they had quite some pressure getting ready with an earlier version of Reason to be shown on a music fair. I think he said it in an interview which I can´t find right now.

Regarding agile software development Mattias talked about in the stream - this is a methodology that is incorporated for quite some time in software industry that focuses on faster and smaller development cycles. A feature is implemented in one or more sprints (1 - 3 weeks), collected with some other features and then delivered maybe after some sprints. Still, also agile projects can fail. But you will notice it earlier ;-)

Before that, it was quite rigid, big specification phase upfront, without much iterations and called "waterfall" process which sometimes ended up in products different than originally expected or never released.

teddymcw

19 Aug 2021

artotaku wrote:
19 Aug 2021

Regarding agile software development Mattias talked about in the stream - this is a methodology that is incorporated for quite some time in software industry that focuses on faster and smaller development cycles. A feature is implemented in one or more sprints (1 - 3 weeks), collected with some other features and then delivered maybe after some sprints. Still, also agile projects can fail. But you will notice it earlier ;-)

Yes precisely, I was pointing something similar out in another thread, where I think we can actually healthily expect the Rack devices part of it all to be iterated and updated with market feedback incorporated as this is directly facing towards their largest markets and decided value proposition of being "The Rack" and subscription service as having a much higher income potential than licenses ever did, even with same market exposure. They heavily alluded to this philosophy in the R+ announcement videos and have only confirmed this more imho in the subsequent blogs and video appearances.

It's exactly like In-N-Out Burger where they prioritize the drive-thru while the customers who walk into the register wait a bit longer but they can begin sipping some water and sodas they've already purchased. The ratios of wait times are prob diff tho :?

Just pointing out that we should not hold breath on any sequencer / DAW / non-rack stuff as it's always been, but can be demanding and expect response for lower hanging Rack fruit. Hopefully we get a few sprints on the DAW side next year though, but only when that's the proper business decision I'm afraid.

Creativemind

19 Aug 2021

artotaku wrote:
19 Aug 2021

Before that, it was quite rigid, big specification phase upfront, without much iterations and called "waterfall" process which sometimes ended up in products different than originally expected or never released.
Interesting, do you know where specifically in the stream Mattias mentioned that at all?

Creativemind

19 Aug 2021

Just been having a squizz at the new Combinator in the Reason 12 Beta. Any instructions? lol! if anyone has any tips. Only a quick look up to now so will have a more thorough look tomorrow.

dvdrtldg

19 Aug 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Ultimately I know that nobody owes me my own personal vision of what the program should be.
I wish RS would implement some sort of feature that made it compulsory for every user to say this out loud five times before they can launch Reason or log onto any Reason forum

Creativemind

19 Aug 2021

dvdrtldg wrote:
19 Aug 2021
chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Aug 2021
Ultimately I know that nobody owes me my own personal vision of what the program should be.
I wish RS would implement some sort of feature that made it compulsory for every user to say this out loud five times before they can launch Reason or log onto any Reason forum
Now that would be silly. :lol:

Jagwah

19 Aug 2021

I've been sure for some time that VST3 support is coming to Reason soon, and by that I mean it's coming way before any focus on the sequencer or anything like that, so yay for you guys that want that.

DaveyG

20 Aug 2021

VST3 is nigh.
Or I might be thinking of the end of the world.

chimp_spanner

20 Aug 2021

Jagwah wrote:
19 Aug 2021
I've been sure for some time that VST3 support is coming to Reason soon, and by that I mean it's coming way before any focus on the sequencer or anything like that, so yay for you guys that want that.
I still don't fully understand the big deal about VST3 as most of what I use still works perfectly fine as 2 but I'm painfully aware that it will only become a bigger problem as time marches on. And, I'm desperate to use Splice Bridge in Reason (without having to go through the extra step of hosting it inside another plugin). So good news as far as I'm concerned! The only thing I'm not sure about is that if perpetual license users only get new features every major release, and VST3 comes after v12, does that mean only R+ users will get it or will 12 perpetual be maintained in some fashion throughout its lifecycle/until v13?

guitfnky

20 Aug 2021

obviously true that RS doesn't owe any of us anything, but how can we be anything but frustrated by what they do build when they leave out basic stuff we've been suggesting for ages? here's a new sampler with a fraction of the features many of you had requested--hope you find it Inspiring™️! here's a cool new combi without these extra controls you'd all asked for that would've made no-brainer levels of sense to include--hope you find it Inspiring™️!
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

chimp_spanner

20 Aug 2021

guitfnky wrote:
20 Aug 2021
obviously true that RS doesn't owe any of us anything, but how can we be anything but frustrated by what they do build when they leave out basic stuff we've been suggesting for ages? here's a new sampler with a fraction of the features many of you had requested--hope you find it Inspiring™️! here's a cool new combi without these extra controls you'd all asked for that would've made no-brainer levels of sense to include--hope you find it Inspiring™️!
Oh I'd never say people just shouldn't want/expect better. I hope it didn't come across like that. In the context of this discussion I think it was more that some of the anger directed at Combi 2 was that it wasn't fulfilling very specific/personal ideas of what it should be, when the scope/intent of Combinator has always been pretty clear. I've seen some screenshots of what people are working on in it and it's really exciting. Plus we're definitely getting more functionality after release.

Like I've said plenty of times before though, I have my own list of wants/needs. Some are maybe specific to me. Some I feel are universal and I'm surprised we don't have yet.

Still, I've spent the last few months trying really hard to find a new home, because Live has this, Cubase has that, but I basically didn't get anything done. Soon as I'm back in Reason I'm at home again and I'm productive and having fun. It is what it is I guess! I'll absolutely keep asking for things I want though.

tiker01

20 Aug 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
20 Aug 2021
Jagwah wrote:
19 Aug 2021
I still don't fully understand the big deal about VST3 as most of what I use still works perfectly fine as 2 but I'm painfully aware that it will only become a bigger problem as time marches on. And, I'm desperate to use Splice Bridge in Reason (without having to go through the extra step of hosting it inside another plugin). So good news as far as I'm concerned! The only thing I'm not sure about is that if perpetual license users only get new features every major release, and VST3 comes after v12, does that mean only R+ users will get it or will 12 perpetual be maintained in some fashion throughout its lifecycle/until v13?
Nope, where this idea comes form. Reason has the built in auto update functionality for ages. Actually R+ users only got the download link of the first installer through R+ Companion and R 12.1 including Mimic has been delivered to hem via the good old auto updater mechanism. So once some has R12 installed they will get all the updates as soon as RS pushes them out the so called "Stable channel". BTW Reason 9 got the VST2 support like this in the last 9.5 update. ;) So no worries!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

artotaku

20 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
19 Aug 2021
artotaku wrote:
19 Aug 2021

Interesting, do you know where specifically in the stream Mattias mentioned that at all?
The part about iterations and agile starts at

The other stuff I mentioned comes from my experiences and conclusions happing overall in software development in the last couple of years and RS will be no exception of that. I´m working as lead software developer and lead a frontend dev team. We also got this joke going, since agile development was brought up from bottom up by the engineers but when management embraced it we sometimes say with a grain of salt that "agile" is an euphemism for chaotic requirements and planning ;-). It largely depends on the team, product owner, scrum master and how well it is enforced and lived.

• Information