What's Happened To the ReGroove Mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Do you prefer the old ReGroove Mixer design or the new?

Poll ended at 11 Sep 2021

Yes, I prefer the old design.
35%
No, I prefer the new design.
65%

Total votes: 142
Matti

13 Aug 2021

If they do this to the main mixer I'll shit myself and mail my soiled undies to RS HQ.

Billy+

13 Aug 2021

Matti wrote:
13 Aug 2021
If they do this to the main mixer I'll shit myself and mail my soiled undies to RS HQ.
Seriously :o

Creativemind

13 Aug 2021

Matti wrote:
13 Aug 2021
:lol:

Good idea. Lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

avasopht
Competition Winner

13 Aug 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Even grain is realistic & coorrect designed. :puf_smile:

Where flat digital stuff is, there are EVERYWHERE (Touch) displays:

fasdfasdfadfasf.jpg
Hardware has been going that way for a long while.

craste

13 Aug 2021

I have a feeling the Sequencer will get a refresh to look like the Regroove mixer.

zoidkirb

13 Aug 2021

The mixer will stay as is.
It's already hd in 12.
The sequencer ui, transport, desperately need to go hd and I expect they will. It really looks horrible when scaled up.

Creativemind

14 Aug 2021

craste wrote:
13 Aug 2021
I have a feeling the Sequencer will get a refresh to look like the Regroove mixer.
Nooooooooo. Lol!

Jagwah

17 Aug 2021

I think the older mixer was extremely dated graphically but we were just so used to seeing it after so many years it's likely a bit of a shock to everyone.

If it wasn't mentioned before - this does appear to be a part of, if not the only part of the R12 upgrade that was not exclusively upgrading the RRP, with Reason standalone getting it as an afterthought. So there's a glimmer of hope there I guess... after a few more years of focusing on the RRP, maybe we will get a few more crumbs for Reason.

kbard

18 Aug 2021

Black (dark mode) SSL mixer anyone?

dioxide

18 Aug 2021

I actually like both of them. I like the old style Reason skeumorphic approach and think the old ReGroove mixer looked good. The new design is good as well, although it suffers a bit from Ableton Live / Microsoft Excel grey blandness. I understand the redesign as drawing more of a line between the Rack, with skeumorphic realism, and the Sequencer which is strictly a modern, software affair, so the new design makes a lot of sense to me.

gullum

18 Aug 2021

kbard wrote:
18 Aug 2021
Black (dark mode) SSL mixer anyone?
no or then it would reflect my hardware so maybe

LittleBoy

19 Aug 2021

I like both designs. And the new one is better for the new scale option. I understand that some prefer the previous one, but I do not think it is a determining question.

JCaesar

21 Aug 2021

Just wanted to flag this: is anybody finding that when the Re-Groove mixer light is ON - ie. orange, the groove is in fact OFF?

I've only tested this on channel A1, because I have FUNKEY D on some Drums on A1, and they become considerably less FUNKY when the light is ON...

Finding this a bit puzzling, TBH

Cheers,

Jamie

chaosroyale

21 Aug 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Edin_16 wrote:
13 Aug 2021

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Perfect summary, nothing left to say. So cause of this, here one last time again the errors of the flat ui, which ONLY should be in the sequencer, attacking now the hardware-style of the rack:

Mimic-errors-design.jpg
Eh, I'm not too hung up on absolute realism. None of those issues stop me from using or enjoying Mimic. There's always a little suspension of disbelief, if that's the right term to use. Like, what's the hardware equivalent of a drop down menu? Why aren't we using rotary encoders to select everything? What kind of Tardis magic is the Combinator?! :lol:
I'm 100% with Edin here. Chimp Spanner; you're spot-on when you say "the rack can be the realistic-looking part, and the sequencer and tools can be flat", and that would be much better than what we have now. But you're making excuses for lazy and inconsistent design because "it doesn't have to be 100% realistic"; but that's not what Edin is saying.

It doesn't matter if a UI is something that "looks like hardware" like Soundtoys or the Reason Rack, or something which has been abstracted into flat shapes and harsh vector graphics like Unfinished Audio, Glitchmachines, and Ableton, or even a mix of the two: however, a UI must be consistent in it's own design language, in order to be as usable and ergonomic as possible.

It's not just an aesthetic choice, it directly impacts workflow. For example, there is no way for a user to see that Sweeper has multiple filter modes, because the filter menu looks like a static printed label on a device which otherwise uses "real" knobs to change the parameters.

If anything "might be" part of the movable UI "by magic", it makes everything harder to read, slower to use. Even worse if some things are misaligned or different sizes at random, this can confuse the user into thinking that those different sizes or alignments might mean something. So even a completely flat UI needs to establish a clear visual language via size or color of what is moveable or selectable, and what is not.

Furthermore, "looking good" should never be understated. It is one of the most important elements of not only marketing but also user satisfaction. And it shows, in classic instruments and tools. Really well-designed usable UI's are also timeless and good-looking, because the rules they follow are pleasing to pattern-seeking animals like us. See the thread on the MiniMoog UI for a really nice example.

Grain is actually a good example of how to do a modern "semi flat" design with a consistent design language. I personally don't care for that "look", but if they are trying to modernize the rack, that is how they should design all the devices. (From what I remember, Algoritm and Friction also followed that style ?). This is actually what I expected from the HD update, and why I thought they had changed style. Devices in that style can easily be done with vector graphics, smoothly and quickly resizable.

Creativemind

03 Sep 2021

JCaesar wrote:
21 Aug 2021
Just wanted to flag this: is anybody finding that when the Re-Groove mixer light is ON - ie. orange, the groove is in fact OFF?

I've only tested this on channel A1, because I have FUNKEY D on some Drums on A1, and they become considerably less FUNKY when the light is ON...

Cheers,

Jamie
I haven't noticed but will check later. Is that Funkey D a sample pack or VST?

craste

03 Sep 2021

The new Regroove mixer is a sneak peak (to test the water) of the design format which a new updated sequencer will replicate in terms of look I reckon.

I'd bet money on it.

joeyluck

03 Sep 2021

craste wrote:
03 Sep 2021
The new Regroove mixer is a sneak peak (to test the water) of the design format which a new updated sequencer will replicate in terms of look I reckon.

I'd bet money on it.
It's a good guess! Maybe the transport and any items that didn't get updated yet might get a new look? Or maybe they are at least entertaining a change?

Faastwalker

03 Sep 2021

I must admit, like with Blocks (is that even still a thing?!) I hardly ever use ReGroove. I probably should give it another go. Maybe the redesign will make people take notice of it again? I don’t mind the new design. It’s in keeping with the ‘flatter’ design of the Reason DAW, which I love. I still quite like skeuomorphic design in the rack. But it looks very dated everywhere else. So I’d have to vote for the cleaner look of the new design.

EdwardKiy

03 Sep 2021

Surprising to myself, but this is the biggest reason I won't be upgrading to 12. Of all the cockups that are Reason 12 thus far, all the others will possibly be fixed with future patches, but this... It's not just that it looks like it's been done in ms Paint by some kids, but that it's going more and more astray from the hardware emulation concept. Even Ableton users loathe the visual part of Ableton and RS do this? Of course this is a lot easier than figuring out how to make the old ReGroove mixer look good, but what's the idea here - freeing up the market niche for Luna? UAD are now cramming the "vintage hardware" look into every nook and cranny of their DAW because not only is it much more aesthetically pleasing to work with, but, like someone said earlier in this thread, it's becoming hip again. This is supposed to be Reason's bread and butter for god's sake...

And why not focus on making a fully functional version 12 with HD of what already is FIRST and THEN implement new visual aesthetics with version 13? Or at least give users the option to choose the visuals in the menu or something. Why must it be two steps back with every step forward...

EdwardKiy

03 Sep 2021

Rack is the core product, right? Why not bring brushed metal and wood to the sequencer from there? If the browser / mixer / sequencer and rack panels would be made of wood and the words carved (burned) out in them, those panels would at least make sense aesthetically despite being useless practically

MixerJaexx

03 Sep 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
03 Sep 2021
I must admit, like with Blocks (is that even still a thing?!) I hardly ever use ReGroove. I probably should give it another go.
You should.

The Regroove is great at capturing some of your own live playing (in a current song or another song of yours) to apply it to programmed notes. The included styles are also great for things like tambourines. I almost always program a tambourine via MIDI notes and use a Regroove mixer to make it sound like me while creating the song, 95% of the song’s creation period… to then finally chuck it for a mic’ed recording of a real tambourine.

The point of that is; it saves me time. So many times, I’ll add in a programmed tambourine with a Regroove channel applied to make it sound like I would, only to end up not liking a tambourine in the song and not using one. Saved me the time recording one.

And regarding blocks, I use them for every song… but not for their intended purpose. I use them to color-code and label sections of my songs (since Reason doesn’t support markers). I create blank blocks and simply label them. (I personally hate the idea of creating in blocks, it’s nothing like creating music inside clips in other DAW’s.)
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

Stamatz

03 Sep 2021

I don't care for the new look of the regroove mixer at all, like someone else said Abeltoonish...(Cartoon Abelton MIxer). The new regroove mixer looks completely out of place.
What I don't understand is why make changes to a tried and true device? What additional functionality did we gain by this facelift rework? What am I missing here? Please help me understand this point.

I totally agree that the rack should be consistent, the width of the instruments or devices should be consistent, this looks unfinished and rushed.
I also read it was becasue of the new combinator which I didn't really understand. I agree I don't know what's going on code wise but user experience wise not loving it and that IS Reasons main feature, the look, feel and emulation of real instruments or instruments that wish they were real (ie. Combinator), you know the rack.

Also the transport bar once zoomed out to anything above 100% looks legoish START and STOP Buttons? Again rushed and unfinished.

I also don't understand the need to move mixer controls into a combinator? I doesn't bother me one way or the other but what is the reason behind that idea? What additional functionality was gained? Again why make a change to a tried and true worflow or something? Can't be just for the sake of it? What am I missing?

It's just so out of character from what I'm used to seeing on release day, I just don't understand it? LIke they put the shop, a MAJOR revenue stream hidden at the bottom of the webpage? Like what? The idea is to make more money or the need to show a profit right? Yet they put a major revenue stream where no one but users like us could find it and know what's in it? Certainly not a new user looking to get into Reason or find out more. Totally financially illogical? Again like what are you thinking? The shop should be a 50 font with it's own banner right at the top SHOP HERE=======>

Nothing at all in this release makes any sense? Please, I love Reason but help me undertsand what is going on here? Talk about the new combinator can the faders be turned sideways like a DJ mixer?

Anyway sorry for the rant...I'm done now...lol
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

EnochLight

03 Sep 2021

And yet, the overwhelming majority still prefer the new look. Wow!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EdGrip

04 Sep 2021

Strong "Old man shakes fist at cloud" energy in this thread and I love it.
"I hope it's only temporary!"

I remember when monitors were monochrome green, and better for it!

JCaesar

04 Sep 2021

Creativemind wrote:
03 Sep 2021
JCaesar wrote:
21 Aug 2021

Cheers,

Jamie
I haven't noticed but will check later. Is that Funkey D a sample pack or VST?
Hey Creativemind - Funkey D is a FSB ReGroove patch in the Vinyl folder. Just tried it again now. Light OFF = Funky. Light ON = NO Funk! I'll try them on virtually anything... I preferred the old ReGroove - cheers, Jamie

• Information