What's Happened To the ReGroove Mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Do you prefer the old ReGroove Mixer design or the new?

Poll ended at 11 Sep 2021

Yes, I prefer the old design.
35%
No, I prefer the new design.
65%

Total votes: 142
Kilsane

12 Aug 2021

Ditto also, I prefer the new appearance

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

guitfnky wrote:
11 Aug 2021
not gonna lie--I question the sanity of anyone who prefers the OLD look of the regroove mixer. the ugliest goddamn thing in all of Reason, by an easy mile (and that's really saying something, considering some of the older devices). need to get y'all's eyes checked. no accounting for taste, I guess. 😆
I know, how can a really nice looking well designed 3D ReGroove Mixer look as nice as that really flat grey uninspiring Ableton looking new one we have now. :lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

friday

12 Aug 2021

miscend wrote:
11 Aug 2021
For some reason they have made the ReGroove mixer flat but the new hi-res SSL mixer graphics are still skeuomorphic. Reason now has an inconsistent design language....
I like the new design, more in line with the whole sequencer. For me it is more consistent now. The sequencer flat design and all the audio/rack stuff skeuomorphic.

guitfnky

12 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021
guitfnky wrote:
11 Aug 2021
not gonna lie--I question the sanity of anyone who prefers the OLD look of the regroove mixer. the ugliest goddamn thing in all of Reason, by an easy mile (and that's really saying something, considering some of the older devices). need to get y'all's eyes checked. no accounting for taste, I guess. 😆
I know, how can a really nice looking well designed 3D ReGroove Mixer look as nice as that really flat grey uninspiring Ableton looking new one we have now. :lol:
if you feel inspired looking at that hideous old thing, I don't even have words. guess you must pine for the golden age of web design too... https://edit.co.uk/blog/top-10-worst-websites/
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Kilsane

12 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
11 Aug 2021
I think it's ok for the ReGroove Mixer. I wish the little "LEDs" above the knobs when activated were easier to see.

I'd also really like it if they would move the Groove settings from the Tool Window into the ReGroove mixer area. There'a a TON of empty space to fill there.

Tool Window.png

ReGroove Settings.png
it would be a good idea

guitfnky

12 Aug 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
12 Aug 2021
guitfnky wrote:
12 Aug 2021

if you feel inspired looking at that hideous old thing, I don't even have words. guess you must pine for the golden age of web design too... https://edit.co.uk/blog/top-10-worst-websites/
Here are some more "flat" designs:

https://dribbble.com/tags/flat_ui

I dont like it, that the App-Look is taking over on everything. I hope really ReasoStudios continue to design devices that look like real hardware devices and not this Ableton/Bitwig flat stuff that you see everywhere...
everybody I showed reason (a lot of perople really don't know reason nomore nowdays because of their bad markedting ) are "whoooaw, that looks nice, great devices"
I don't care much for any of those either, but they all look better than the old regroove mixer. hell, even Ableton, at its ugliest, with its worst possible theme looks better than the old regroove.

BonsaiMacKay

12 Aug 2021

The ReGroove Mixer was introduced in R4 back in 2007 when its design was consistent with the transport bar. They updated the transport bar in R8 in 2014. I think it was about time they made the whole area consistent. The design could have been better, IMHO, but it is at least consistent now, and Joey has a made a great point there. Who knows, in another 14 years they might improve it again.

RobBarnett

12 Aug 2021

joeyluck wrote:
11 Aug 2021
I think it's ok for the ReGroove Mixer. I wish the little "LEDs" above the knobs when activated were easier to see.

I'd also really like it if they would move the Groove settings from the Tool Window into the ReGroove mixer area. There'a a TON of empty space to fill there.

Tool Window.png

ReGroove Settings.png
This is a fantastic idea. Always baffled me why you had to use 2 windows to configure grooves

BonsaiMacKay

12 Aug 2021

RobBarnett wrote:
12 Aug 2021
joeyluck wrote:
11 Aug 2021

Tool Window.png

ReGroove Settings.png
This is a fantastic idea. Always baffled me why you had to use 2 windows to configure grooves
It made sense 14 years ago in R4 when Reason looked like this and ReGroove occupied the whole space from left to right above the transport bar:

They should have updated it 7 years ago along with the rest.

gullum

12 Aug 2021

I too like better the new look but then again I will never see it because I never used it ever in a song

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

guitfnky wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021

No, those websites are naff. Lol!

I've turned this thread into a poll now as well.

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
12 Aug 2021
gullum wrote:
12 Aug 2021
I too like better the new look but then again I will never see it because I never used it ever in a song
Ok youre right, it makes mybe more sense at the bottom of the sequencer, because its part of it and so it has to look the same. Sounds logical. But I reaslised that there are more amd more logical errors in the design of the new dvices. For example Mimic has some errors, I marked them red. It shoul be like the green marked areas, where its clear that there is a display. The red maked ared very unrealistic, becaus its neither a display nor an analog knob/button/fader so logicalle they are impossible to be dynamic.

OK, the reset button, I dont know, maybe its a button and I am wrong with the red marker.

sfsfsfs.jpg
I've only just noticed that some of the parameters on Mimic don't match the others graphically. No uniformity within the device. The stretch parameters should be the same graphic as the others. Not sure what those lines represent in the Comp either. They look more like EQ curves.

One of the problems with the ReGroove mixer change though (yes it matches more with the graphics of the transport etc) is not only do I think the old design looks better but there's an element of it's what you're used to seeing it look like, why would it be changed? it's a backwards step seeing as the whole point of the hi-res I thought, was to improve things, there were some issues with the hi-res I'm guessing?
Last edited by Creativemind on 12 Aug 2021, edited 1 time in total.

gullum

12 Aug 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
12 Aug 2021
gullum wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Ok youre right, it makes mybe more sense at the bottom of the sequencer, because its part of it and so it has to look the same. Sounds logical. But I reaslised that there are more amd more logical errors in the design of the new dvices. For example Mimic has some errors, I marked them red. It shoul be like the green marked areas, where its clear that there is a display. The red maked ared very unrealistic, becaus its neither a display nor an analog knob/button/fader so logicalle they are impossible to be dynamic.

OK, the reset button, I dont know, maybe its a button and I am wrong with the red marker.

sfsfsfs.jpg
maybe they hired a new graphic designer half way because it sure looks like someone who is not consistent in their design choices

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

gullum wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Edin_16 wrote:
12 Aug 2021

sfsfsfs.jpg
maybe they hired a new graphic designer half way because it sure looks like someone who is not consistent in their design choices
Possibly. The designer must have been poached from the Ableton design team.

Can't understand the poll results here. Why would anyone like a dot in an oblong slider type thing over a graphic that looks like a proper mixer fader with incrementations and nice looking led light displays. Not to mention the dingey grey colour and flat design.. Don't get it. Would people like that design on the Main Mixer?

guitfnky

12 Aug 2021

don’t understand the poll results? people don’t like dumpy shit that looks like grandpa drew it in MS Paint back in ‘93. pretty simple. :lol:

jam-s

12 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Can't understand the poll results here. Why would anyone like a dot in an oblong slider type thing over a graphic that looks like a proper mixer fader with incrementations and nice looking led light displays. Not to mention the dingey grey colour and flat design.. Don't get it. Would people like that design on the Main Mixer?
Also the contrast with that grey on grey is far worse then before, but I guess UI designers come from the "50 shades of grey fan-club" nowadays. (Another feat of those is to dumb down buttons into grey scale and an abstract icon so the eye has no easy visual cue as to quickly find the button with the right function.)

RoryM0

12 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
12 Aug 2021
Can't speak for anyone else but for me it is that it isn't ugly anymore.

joeyluck

12 Aug 2021

Loque wrote:
11 Aug 2021
I don't care much. The old one looked just old and boring. The new one is better to the eyes and easier to read and probably easier for themes.

Maybe it's more "vectorized" and looks simpler, because it's a sequencer tool and not part of the rack.
Agreed. It's attached to the sequencer window after all. The old ReGroove Mixer matched the old transport. It just didn't fit any more. It's not my favorite, but it is better.

DaveyG

12 Aug 2021

I haven't voted because there is no option for "Not Bovvered".
A much more interesting poll would be "Do you ever use the regroove mixer?"
Or "Have you ever noticed that tiny button thing at the the bottom of the screen that says 'Groove' and did you know you can click it?"
Or even "Did you know there is a regroove mixer?"

The new look seems to have taken it from "old and outdated" to "too much like Live" but not so much like most other elements of Reason. Maybe other stuff will gradually be revamped to match. I still won't be that bothered though!

guitfnky

12 Aug 2021

yeah, the look is much better now, but until they make it more useful, there’s kinda not much point.

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Aug 2021

I like the new look better only because it's darker and better fits the surroundings, the transport bar and the sequencer.

fieldframe
RE Developer

12 Aug 2021

It's not ugly because it's flat; it's ugly because the spacing between all the elements is still based on the hardware-style version. It looks kind of half-done.

Creativemind

12 Aug 2021

DaveyG wrote:
12 Aug 2021
I haven't voted because there is no option for "Not Bovvered".
A much more interesting poll would be "Do you ever use the regroove mixer?"
Or "Have you ever noticed that tiny button thing at the the bottom of the screen that says 'Groove' and did you know you can click it?"
Or even "Did you know there is a regroove mixer?"

The new look seems to have taken it from "old and outdated" to "too much like Live" but not so much like most other elements of Reason. Maybe other stuff will gradually be revamped to match. I still won't be that bothered though!
If any other elements in Reason adopt that design it will seal the deal of me never using it stand-alone again. Live is the horriblest looking daw going, worse than Reaper without a theme.

Most of those things you mentioned as well are not relevant to this thread. Yes I knew it was there, for getting decent swing in a house beat, it's essential.

Noplan
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2021

They didn't have to wait long until the old design was cool again. Because now the point has been reached where the new designs start to get old. But that's classic for Reason.

strangers
Competition Winner

12 Aug 2021

At first, I didn't like the new look and then it quickly grew on me. I don't really care for the fader though. I could probably count the number of times I've used Regroover on one hand. I handle as much as I possibly can within the sequencer.

• Information