Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CR68

10 Aug 2021

hurricane wrote:
10 Aug 2021
ravasb wrote:
10 Aug 2021
I guess that's why they called it Mimic.
Zing!

The "Watery Tele" patch is blowing up my computer and it's due to the "Advanced" stretch method because when you set it to anything but that, it's fine. So is this a bug or is the "advanced" mode going to be a major CPU hog?
yeah it blows up my cpu too. i am on a amd 3900x with 32gb ram, asus ws570 pro ace and a geforce 2070 super. i cant play more then ~12 notes at the same time...

riemac

10 Aug 2021

Does Mimic has individual audio outputs for the 8 slots, so you can set up individual mixer channels for each (drum) sample?

bangaio

10 Aug 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
10 Aug 2021
deeplink wrote:
10 Aug 2021
very cool video and very cool device. lol. cool.
Interesting device. Totally naff video. I mean really “hey kids here is how a sampler works.” “I’ve never been into sampling before” wait what that? One of the most important pieces of music technology from the past 40-50 years that has influenced and shaped key music genres and songs and a technology the company you work for promotes and you don’t really use it or get it? Ha!

They really need to bring back the old information videos with no faces and just interesting demos and information.

bangaio

10 Aug 2021

hurricane wrote:
10 Aug 2021
My immediate thought upon seeing Mimic for the first time was "they straight up copied Logic's Quick Sampler" - except that Quick Sampler (which is the lite version of Sampler) has 2 LFOs and a mod matrix. :wave:

qs.png
It’s certainly very similar I’ve just fired up logic and to be honest I live the logic samplers and the quick sample is amazing but probably more usable than mimic too.

manisnotabird

10 Aug 2021

Are the effects per voice, or global after the voices are summed?

Ottostrom

10 Aug 2021

riemac wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Does Mimic has individual audio outputs for the 8 slots, so you can set up individual mixer channels for each (drum) sample?
Yeah it does (thank god).
You can at one point see the backside in the video.

deeplink
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2021

manisnotabird wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Are the effects per voice, or global after the voices are summed?
I think, although it's polyphonic - it is only one voice. In that, filter, amp, LFOs, effects affect the sound globally.

It doesn't work the same way like Grain when it comes to multiple voices.

At least that has been my experience with it so far. There's no option to have Voice Key affect say, lfo speed, lfo amount, filter etc.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

guitfnky

10 Aug 2021

bangaio wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Rising Night Wave wrote:
10 Aug 2021

very cool video and very cool device. lol. cool.
Interesting device. Totally naff video. I mean really “hey kids here is how a sampler works.” “I’ve never been into sampling before” wait what that? One of the most important pieces of music technology from the past 40-50 years that has influenced and shaped key music genres and songs and a technology the company you work for promotes and you don’t really use it or get it? Ha!

They really need to bring back the old information videos with no faces and just interesting demos and information.
I have to assume they were trying to get people like myself (who hardly cares what cool things can be done with a sampler) onboard—but yeah, even on that front it’s a swing and a miss, for me. which is weird, because usually they manage to make me think “I don’t really use this kind of stuff, but man, that IS pretty cool…”, for stuff that would never be appealing to me on paper (Complex-1? would’ve had zero interest whatsoever, if not for the sales pitch). not sure if it’s the presentation or just that sampling really doesn’t do anything for me. 😅
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

STIM

10 Aug 2021

When I load in a sample, the sample is automatically played in full and I have to wait for it to stop before I can do anything. Is this supposed to happen or am I dumb and have missed something?

fullforce

10 Aug 2021

Can't even reverse per slice. Worthless.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

RoryM0

10 Aug 2021

fullforce wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Can't even reverse per slice. Worthless.
I refuse to believe this. You must be able to reverse per slice.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2021

STIM wrote:
10 Aug 2021
When I load in a sample, the sample is automatically played in full and I have to wait for it to stop before I can do anything. Is this supposed to happen or am I dumb and have missed something?
Maybe you’ve got the preview button checked in the browser?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

OverneathTheSkyBridg

10 Aug 2021

manisnotabird wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Not too clear what it does that you can't do with the NN-XT, Dr. OctoRex or Grain.
I was thinking this the whole time while watching the video, and Kong never looked more powerful. Looks like they've wrapped up a lot of those legacy features into one package and added the much requested time stretching and interactive slicing. It's not going to replace my Octatrack though lol.

STIM

10 Aug 2021

MrFigg wrote:
10 Aug 2021
STIM wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Maybe you’ve got the preview button checked in the browser?
Yep thanks!

Sargie

10 Aug 2021

Love the video. Looking forward to playing with this later!

Dalle

10 Aug 2021

hurricane wrote:
10 Aug 2021
My immediate thought upon seeing Mimic for the first time was "they straight up copied Logic's Quick Sampler" - except that Quick Sampler (which is the lite version of Sampler) has 2 LFOs and a mod matrix. :wave:
Yes and Logic straight up copied their sampler from Ableton Live :puf_wink:

WarStar

10 Aug 2021

Kilsane wrote:
10 Aug 2021
It lacks the detection of the root key as on grain, failing that a small detection rack of the note would be welcome, (a can like Gtune by gvst)
My exact thought too!

NoisiaTHX

10 Aug 2021

so, there was still room :puf_bigsmile:
mimic.jpg
mimic.jpg (407.21 KiB) Viewed 6954 times

WarStar

10 Aug 2021

Kilsane wrote:
10 Aug 2021
It lacks the detection of the root key as on grain, failing that a small detection rack of the note would be welcome, (a can like Gtune by gvst)
One reason why I use sarato sample so often.. just wish it had loop option per slice

dvdrtldg

10 Aug 2021

guitfnky wrote:
10 Aug 2021
my takeaway is that RS really need to find a new sound for their demo tunes. every tune they've had in their videos over the last few years has the exact same vibe.
So true :lol: I was thinking the same thing

I dunno, I'm not a crazy sample mangler but I can see myself having fun with this thing. Even if it's just NNXT 2.0, a break from that terrible grey interface will be nice

ohmygoff

10 Aug 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
10 Aug 2021

wait what that? One of the most important pieces of music technology from the past 40-50 years that has influenced and shaped key music genres and songs and a technology the company you work for promotes and you don’t really use it or get it? Ha!

Fits the "Hey, Kids!" GUI IMHO... :cool:

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

10 Aug 2021

STIM wrote:
10 Aug 2021
You have the "Auto" play button enabled (by default) in Reason's browser section. Look down in the lower left corner of the window. You can disable "AUTO" or you can click stop to stop playback. It's not a Mimic thing, it's a Reason thing.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

10 Aug 2021

bangaio wrote:
10 Aug 2021

I didn't say I don't get it... I said that up until recently sample manipulation on a grand scale wasn't a key part of my music making process, personally, the way it is for others who make it the core of their workflow and that I know that I was wrong to largely overlook it as much as I have. I'm speaking on a personal-musician level to a very specific other type of music maker, which are the many people who also don't tap into sampling as often as they might realize they'd want to once they start messing with it.

And yeah, every getting started video on sampling needs to include a little "how a sampler" works just like my getting started on Algoritm included a bit of "how FM synthesis works." It's baked into the getting started territory. Mattias and I will be doing a livestream next week for more advanced concepts. Maybe tune into that?

craste

10 Aug 2021

ryanharlin wrote:
10 Aug 2021
bangaio wrote:
10 Aug 2021

I didn't say I don't get it... I said that up until recently sample manipulation on a grand scale wasn't a key part of my music making process, personally, the way it is for others who make it the core of their workflow and that I know that I was wrong to largely overlook it as much as I have. I'm speaking on a personal-musician level to a very specific other type of music maker, which are the many people who also don't tap into sampling as often as they might realize they'd want to once they start messing with it.

And yeah, every getting started video on sampling needs to include a little "how a sampler" works just like my getting started on Algoritm included a bit of "how FM synthesis works." It's baked into the getting started territory. Mattias and I will be doing a livestream next week for more advanced concepts. Maybe tune into that?
No need to explain yourself Ryan, you clearly stated in your video it was not part of your personal music making tool kit.

Hey peeps, if you haven’t got anything nice to say, don’t say it.

I thought the video was informative and interesting.

I do hope there are more surprises to come for Reason 12. Currently I feel like we are slowly unwrapping a Christmas present under the tree every time the parents step out the room and then on Christmas Day having to pretend to be excited as we’d already seen it.

This comes from experience and it’s naff.

Please keep something back ready for the launch day/week!

It’s great having a surprise.

STIM

10 Aug 2021

ryanharlin wrote:
10 Aug 2021
STIM wrote:
10 Aug 2021
You have the "Auto" play button enabled (by default) in Reason's browser section. Look down in the lower left corner of the window. You can disable "AUTO" or you can click stop to stop playback. It's not a Mimic thing, it's a Reason thing.
Thank you Ryan!

• Information