Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RoryM0

12 Dec 2021

RS please let us have copy/paste between sample slots. Mute and solo per slot wouldn't be too shabby either. Also how about an 'initialise slot' option. Just some housekeeping stuff. All useful admin stuff. Admin at your fingertips keeps the creative flow from grinding to a halt. MOAR ADMIN STUFF.

PhillipOrdonez

12 Dec 2021

MAOR ADMIN STUFF!

plaamook

12 Dec 2021

The thing that really gets me w mimic is the advanced stretch algorithm. Preserve transients. It may be the best out there.

Now we, or I, just need them to sort out the bug w loading long samples. Cause I don’t want to chop anything or trigger different samples. I just want the stretch. For everything.

Another cool element is the pitch knob. They finally did away with octave-semi and folded it into one. A real face palm moment. I wish they all worked like that now.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

stp2015

12 Dec 2021

Can someone confirm that the mimic AMP sustain slider is not available as a control target in the RRP? Bitwig can see all other AMP sliders, n
but not sustain.

Mataya

12 Dec 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
12 Dec 2021
RS please let us have copy/paste between sample slots. Mute and solo per slot wouldn't be too shabby either. Also how about an 'initialise slot' option. Just some housekeeping stuff. All useful admin stuff. Admin at your fingertips keeps the creative flow from grinding to a halt. MOAR ADMIN STUFF.
Essential.

M

Loque

12 Dec 2021

Mataya wrote:
12 Dec 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
12 Dec 2021
Essential.

M
We wanted it for Europa and never got it.
I wouldn't have too much hope here...
Reason12, Win10

VIVIsect

12 Dec 2021

stp2015 wrote:
12 Dec 2021
Can someone confirm that the mimic AMP sustain slider is not available as a control target in the RRP? Bitwig can see all other AMP sliders, n
but not sustain.
Same in Ableton Live

scotward57

14 Dec 2021

Lots of complaining about not being able to load REX files into Mimic. Really? Is it that hard to drag a REX file onto an audio track, bounce it to a new sample, then drag new sample into Mimic? Takes 5-10 seconds to do that.

RoryM0

14 Dec 2021

scotward57 wrote:
14 Dec 2021
Lots of complaining about not being able to load REX files into Mimic. Really? Is it that hard to drag a REX file onto an audio track, bounce it to a new sample, then drag new sample into Mimic? Takes 5-10 seconds to do that.
Agreed. But I believe an expectation would be mimic reading existing slice points in a rex file rather than having to set them again.

DaveyG

14 Dec 2021

scotward57 wrote:
14 Dec 2021
Is it that hard to drag a REX file onto an audio track, bounce it to a new sample, then drag new sample into Mimic? Takes 5-10 seconds to do that.
It's not hard to get into the driver's seat from the passenger door but it's a whole lot more convenient if the car has a door on the driver's side.

plaamook

14 Dec 2021

Hey Look! Another bug in Mimic!

Load a sample and set stretch mode to Advanced/Preserve Transients. Speed at 8.6%
Sample loaded was 1:59 long 24/96 .wav file.
As sample plays, distortion occures towards the end of playback and it is present in the bounced audio.
If you move the loop marker towards the end and restart playback there is no distortion, so it only occurs after about 10-15min of playback.
Bug ticket filed.
Brerath not held.
I'm aware I'm not using Mimic as the gods intended. That is I'm not interested in slicing/choping/triggering/etc. I just want to access the stretch modes which are buried in it. And I like the fact that the interface is less cluttered than Grain for general looping of stuff. And the pitch knob as I mentioned.
None ofthat is proving to be very easy with the state of it.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

xylyx

29 Dec 2021

Just testing Mimic out and it would appear that I cannot automate the slot selection. I basically want to slice multiple loops using slice mode and then switch between the loops during playback the way you can do with a Dr Octorex (in a Combinator). Am I missing something or is it not possible?

RoryM0

29 Dec 2021

xylyx wrote:
29 Dec 2021
Just testing Mimic out and it would appear that I cannot automate the slot selection. I basically want to slice multiple loops using slice mode and then switch between the loops during playback the way you can do with a Dr Octorex (in a Combinator). Am I missing something or is it not possible?
Not currently possible, even in a combinator. SDK limitation I believe. I really hope they remedy this as dynamic slot switching would be a serious functionality boon for this device.

xylyx

29 Dec 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
29 Dec 2021
xylyx wrote:
29 Dec 2021
Not currently possible, even in a combinator. SDK limitation I believe. I really hope they remedy this as dynamic slot switching would be a serious functionality boon for this device.
Thanks for the reply. I can get round it by using multiple instances of Mimic and use Distributor to switch between them, but it would have been much neater if it could have been done without this.

FGL

30 Dec 2021

xylyx wrote:
29 Dec 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
29 Dec 2021

Thanks for the reply. I can get round it by using multiple instances of Mimic and use Distributor to switch between them, but it would have been much neater if it could have been done without this.
That was my first idea too. But I think hardly anyone has a distributor. I then found another solution with the free Re "Set CV Out" from LeNoteLive.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7526296

Ozman

28 Jan 2022

What I hope for is that an option be added to Mimic that allows the user to automatically detect and set the root pitch of samples that are auditioned when using arrow keys in the browser. This would be useful when auditioning sample layers in multi-pitch mode while playing a MIDI loop.

fullforce

30 Jan 2022

Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2021
1) Auto BPM matching when changing the songtempo in the slicemode.
Just found out about this. I can't freaking believe it. So incredibly useless.

It has NO BPM detection. A sampler, released in 2021, has NO BPM DETECTION.

That's probably where YOU have to get creative and do it by hand like, 30 years ago.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Heigen5

30 Jan 2022

fullforce wrote:
30 Jan 2022
Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2021
1) Auto BPM matching when changing the songtempo in the slicemode.
Just found out about this. I can't freaking believe it. So incredibly useless.

It has NO BPM detection. A sampler, released in 2021, has NO BPM DETECTION.

That's probably where YOU have to get creative and do it by hand like, 30 years ago.
LOL, well yeah, it's a bit darn silly isn't it? :clap: :lol:

Creativemind

01 Apr 2023

manisnotabird wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Not too clear what it does that you can't do with the NN-XT, Dr. OctoRex or Grain.
Play a sample up and down the keyboard without it changing speed as you play and you just named 3 devices, this is 1 device.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

manisnotabird

01 Apr 2023

Creativemind wrote:
01 Apr 2023

Play a sample up and down the keyboard without it changing speed as you play.
The thing you can do with Grain.

Creativemind

02 Apr 2023

manisnotabird wrote:
01 Apr 2023
Creativemind wrote:
01 Apr 2023

Play a sample up and down the keyboard without it changing speed as you play.
The thing you can do with Grain.
Fair enough but Grain looks awful like a Fisherprice toy whereas Mimic has a cool gui + there's many other features I'm sure in Mimic that aren't in Grain.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Avith Ortega

23 Oct 2023

Why all the Reason samplers has a FW-BW Loop option but Mimic?? I want to use the advance stretch mode of Mimic but turns out it doesn't have this loop option, only FW, what a shame 😔

FGL

28 Jan 2024

Mimic has also a good use as a Drum Kit, I recently find out. Far more options to changes on specific Drum Samples. Saves money on sample packs.

ab459

08 Feb 2024

Hi folks, does Mimic have just about 30 factory patches ? No subfolders with some categories etc?
Well it`s not critical, just wanted to make sure that did not miss anything.

mimidancer

09 Feb 2024

ab459 wrote:
08 Feb 2024
Hi folks, does Mimic have just about 30 factory patches ? No subfolders with some categories etc?
Well it`s not critical, just wanted to make sure that did not miss anything.
that is it. but it is a great sampler with a fun and easy workflow. it is like chopping on an mpc IMO. but with better quality that you can ruin if you want. enjoy.

• Information