Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Tenbrink

Post 01 Sep 2021

So I got my R12 update today and have been playing with Mimic for 2 hours.

What is the purpose of being able to use different slots for all modes? It would really be useful for e.g. slice mode if you could somehow switch between the slots with midi/automation but I can't figure out if it's even possible.

It would make individual settings for slices possible, to an extent, albeit a bit circumstantial, instead of just using several duplicates of Mimic. I really hope individual slice settings will be possible further on but maybe that is impossible with how Mimic has been created.

RoryM0

Post 01 Sep 2021

Tenbrink wrote:
01 Sep 2021
So I got my R12 update today and have been playing with Mimic for 2 hours.

What is the purpose of being able to use different slots for all modes? It would really be useful for e.g. slice mode if you could somehow switch between the slots with midi/automation but I can't figure out if it's even possible.

It would make individual settings for slices possible, to an extent, albeit a bit circumstantial, instead of just using several duplicates of Mimic. I really hope individual slice settings will be possible further on but maybe that is impossible with how Mimic has been created.
I believe this is possible with key switching. C1 is slices in first slot, C2 slices in second slot etc

Tenbrink

Post 01 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
I believe this is possible with key switching. C1 is slices in first slot, C2 slices in second slot etc
But C1 and C2 are already occupied by slices from the sample I've sliced up.

RoryM0

Post 01 Sep 2021

Tenbrink wrote:
01 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Oh right, I might have misunderstood.

GRIFTY

Post 01 Sep 2021

Anyone think this could be a replacement for serato sample? I haven't found a better beat chopper yet

Barriott

Post 02 Sep 2021

Hi
In multi slot mode is there a way of setting global mono?

Gosh

Post 02 Sep 2021

nickb523 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Gosh wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Hi Nick, please don't forget as non-subscribers and make some new refills in the future...
Don't worry Gosh. The plan is still the same as it was a few months back. Now I'm finished up with Reason 12 I can now get on with other projects. RS also just put the shop back at the top of the main website which makes me feel like new releases will at least be visible.

First up is a ReFill for either Grain or Mimic (or a combination of) that is going to be an expanded version of the autumnal pack I mentioned in the above post. Plan for that to release is end of November to early December.

After that is a big expansion ReFill for Algoritm containing the usual 250 patches. I've been waiting for Combi 2 as it will feature heavily there. Release date will be around February/March time.

Also in the pipeline is remasters of all my ReFills to date. I'm not sure yet if there will be additional patches but the main purpose of these is to bring in Combi 2 features. There will also be more polished cover art etc. And yes, they will be made available for free to existing users.

So yeah. You've definitely not been forgotten but it's going to take a bit of time to all come together!

Cheers for the support! :)
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, Nick. I'm very much lookig forward to your new refills and projects :clap: A new rack extension in the direction of Aura-7 would also be great. A refill for Algoritm would be very welcome here. Since I love your sound design you can certainly count me in for future refills and rack extensions from you.
All the best

RoryM0

Post 03 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021
Tenbrink wrote:
01 Sep 2021

So I've been saying to others that it is possible to select slots in slice mode in some way other than manually clicking on them... because I was convinced someone else said that you could... but now I actually get my hands on Mimic and I can't work out how to dynamically select which slot is playing back in slice mode? Can't see it in automation list in sequencer or combi mapping? Anyone know?

PhillipOrdonez

Post 03 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
03 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
01 Sep 2021

So I've been saying to others that it is possible to select slots in slice mode in some way other than manually clicking on them... because I was convinced someone else said that you could... but now I actually get my hands on Mimic and I can't work out how to dynamically select which slot is playing back in slice mode? Can't see it in automation list in sequencer or combi mapping? Anyone know?
You've been spreading fake news? 😂😂😂

Joking aside, I thought I read somewhere someone saying you could... I hope that person wasn't you!!! 😂

RoryM0

Post 03 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
03 Sep 2021

Joking aside, I thought I read somewhere someone saying you could... I hope that person wasn't you!!! 😂
... It actually might have been me :oops:

Yes well it's a misinformation campaign in order to shame RS into adding the ability to dynamically select slots in slice mode. I'm playing 4D chess :lol:

Popey

Post 03 Sep 2021

The more I am using mimic the more I like it. There are still things you can do in live's samplers which would be good in mimic (mainly slice to beat) but mimic has already been better in other areas. Thought no better test for a sampler than a dnb tune and having a lot of fun with it.

Still think it should be able to play ableton samples though for any rs staff reading (nudge, nudge)

Ps. I am going to email support to suggest this 😀

Gardinski

Post 04 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
03 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Sep 2021

I've been going NUTS trying to figure this out. I love Mimic and have spent virtually all week experimenting with it, but it would be so much better if you could switch between slots on the fly (in either slice mode or pitch mode).

I was convinced I was missing some obvious step in the process. ''It must work,'' I thought, ''Because RoryM0 says there's a method, and he's obviously not just some deranged lunatic who would make this shit up without solid evidence.''

How wrong I was!!! :lol:

RoryM0

Post 04 Sep 2021

Gardinski wrote:
04 Sep 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
03 Sep 2021

I've been going NUTS trying to figure this out. I love Mimic and have spent virtually all week experimenting with it, but it would be so much better if you could switch between slots on the fly (in either slice mode or pitch mode).

I was convinced I was missing some obvious step in the process. ''It must work,'' I thought, ''Because RoryM0 says there's a method, and he's obviously not just some deranged lunatic who would make this shit up without solid evidence.''

How wrong I was!!! :lol:
I'm convinced someone else wrote it first and I parroted that... However I'm not so convinced that I'm going to dodge any blame here. I done f**ked up with this one people. Apologies and a lesson learned for me :?

But also yeah, learning that I can't switch between 8 breakbeats on the fly without manually clicking the slot is kind of dumbfounding. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to do this, seems like an obvious use case.

Gardinski

Post 04 Sep 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
04 Sep 2021

But also yeah, learning that I can't switch between 8 breakbeats on the fly without manually clicking the slot is kind of dumbfounding. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to do this, seems like an obvious use case.
Absolutely. It's a bewildering design choice that seems to defy all logic. The closest I've come to solving it is to switch to multi-pitch mode and create a crossfader that effectively morphs between two slots by minimising the gain of slot 1 & maximising the gain of slot 2 (and vice versa for the other end of the fader/pot).

I'm sure that there's a more sophisticated way of doing this with more than two slots at a time, by using the newer features of Combi2, but I have yet to settle down and figure it out properly. I have an idea I have yet to test, so I'll give that a try this evening.

It would definitely make things a lot easier if Prop/RS were to add 'live slot switching' to a future update of Mimic, but perhaps it's not possible without a major overhaul.

Other than that (and perhaps tempo matching), Mimic covers everything I could realistically want from a sampler. The further I delve into it, the more delighted I am by what I'm discovering. You can literally throw almost anything at it, and still be able to come up with something very 'musical', but also strange, unexpected and often startlingly beautiful.

Goriila Texas

Post 04 Sep 2021

Have RS added pitch detection like they said it would on release day and does anyone have a screenshot?

aeox

Post 04 Sep 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Have RS added pitch detection like they said it would on release day and does anyone have a screenshot?
Yes

EnochLight

Post 04 Sep 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
04 Sep 2021
In Mimic? Yes - it's even in the R12 launch video.

mimicmimcimimcimci.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Reason 12 |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

Post 04 Sep 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Just a few posts back :)

viewtopic.php?p=569884#p569884

david1806

Post 04 Sep 2021

Hi all....
I was going to post a separate thread but this seems to be the place to ask. Does having Mimic mean not having to own Recycle now? I do hope so!! It has always bugged me that for some strange reason Reason Studios just won't include it in their DAW. Any particular reason why? I'd be surprised if it was only about the money.... any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers!! 👍👍🙂

PhillipOrdonez

Post 04 Sep 2021

david1806 wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Hi all....
I was going to post a separate thread but this seems to be the place to ask. Does having Mimic mean not having to own Recycle now? I do hope so!! It has always bugged me that for some strange reason Reason Studios just won't include it in their DAW. Any particular reason why? I'd be surprised if it was only about the money.... any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers!! 👍👍🙂
Hey David,

It is a fantastic instrument in its own right, and you can chop and play slices, but you can't make Rex files with it. You can turn samples and loops into completely different and unique sounds that do not resemble the original sample and that's I think what makes it special. It also does not load Rex loops, but you can load Rex slices in it.

david1806

Post 04 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Hey David,

It is a fantastic instrument in its own right, and you can chop and play slices, but you can't make Rex files with it. You can turn samples and loops into completely different and unique sounds that do not resemble the original sample and that's I think what makes it special. It also does not load Rex loops, but you can load Rex slices in it.
Hallo Phillip....
Takk for that!! Right, got it. Even though I won't have an end result of a Rex file, will it still slice a sample up for me?
Vi sees...!
[I lived in Norway/Sweden for a year - although no, I don't speak the language, although I always remember 'fan helvetet' or something like that... :D ]

PhillipOrdonez

Post 04 Sep 2021

david1806 wrote:
04 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Sep 2021
Hey David,

Hallo Phillip....
Takk for that!! Right, got it. Even though I won't have an end result of a Rex file, will it still slice a sample up for me?
Vi sees...!
[I lived in Norway/Sweden for a year - although no, I don't speak the language, although I always remember 'fan helvetet' or something like that... :D ]
Vær så god! :)

No, it will slice it but you won't have as much control over the slice points. You have some control, but I understand recycle is way more advanced for that. You can trial it and see for yourself whether the controls are enough for your needs though!

Goriila Texas

Post 04 Sep 2021

Ok Thanks

david1806

Post 05 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
04 Sep 2021
....You can trial it and see for yourself....
If you mean Mimic, I am proud owner of R12+, so I updated couple of days ago. I can't lie though, haven't really looked at it yet...I've actually been looking at Grain - thought that might give me a better understanding of it. And then I haven't done much of that either! Got a new electric guitar so been playing with setting that up.

So much to learn with Reason - I just love it. As I keep banging on about (apologies!), when you are my age, Reason is like a dream come true. :lol: :D :-)

avasopht

Post 06 Sep 2021

I had a good go of Mimic, but I want a good hardware controller for this sort of thing. It feels much more natural.

Still, I'll see what I can do with it as I found I could breathe a lot of new life into samples with Grain, and Mimic seems to be able to do what I want much better.
---

• Information