Mimic: New Creative Sampler

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
flexluthor

13 Aug 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021
This looks like an interesting way to use Mimic and Lectric Panda's Evolution together:

I don't really see how that's any different than using a Kong or NNXT

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Aug 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021
This looks like an interesting way to use Mimic and Lectric Panda's Evolution together:

Beat those beats! :clap:

dvdrtldg

14 Aug 2021

flexluthor wrote:
13 Aug 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021

Missing out then aren't you

deeplink
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2021

Kilsane wrote:
10 Aug 2021
I did not find how to access the sample editor as we can do with other samplers (should we edit our samples before importing them into mimic?
Alt-click on the sample button
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

deeplink
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2021

So... a work-around for tempo syncing

Combine Mimic, assign a Rotary to End Pos
Loop Mode ON, Loop Length set to 0%
Automate the Rotary as a ramp up (or use CV)

I find the best sounding results is with the Stretch Mode set to Granular

This is a similar set up to how you would do it in Grain.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Creativemind

14 Aug 2021

rgdaniel wrote:
13 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
13 Aug 2021

I fixed your SubTractor error too. :lol:
*Subtractor
You subtracted my capital T. :D
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Matti

14 Aug 2021

flexluthor wrote:
13 Aug 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021

I kinda regret (yeah my vid) not making it more tutorial-esque by pointing to what the modulations do for those who haven't done the deep dive into Mimic yet, but it's a *similar* technique to just using ALT in NN-XT back in , uh, 2002.

The difference is in the complete de-coupling of pitch and time, and the random-per-slice modulation of each aspect.

And if you look closely, you'll see that it uses the "Advanced" stretch, not "Tape". By using the latter, the results would be more similar.

rgdaniel

14 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
14 Aug 2021
rgdaniel wrote:
13 Aug 2021

*Subtractor
There was shrinkage... :D

StephenHutchinson

14 Aug 2021

rcbuse wrote:
14 Aug 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
13 Aug 2021

Beat those beats! :clap:
Amen to that! :thumbup:
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

NoisiaTHX

14 Aug 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
13 Aug 2021
fsgdgfsgfdgfsd.jpg
unknown.png
unknown.png (11.26 KiB) Viewed 7026 times

Creativemind

14 Aug 2021

rgdaniel wrote:
14 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
14 Aug 2021

There was shrinkage... :D
Shrinkage - sounds like a good name for an Re compressor. Lol!

"I'd never heard compression like it till I'd used Shrinkage" - DJ Selector.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

PhillipOrdonez

14 Aug 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Can mimic load rex files?
Can load Rex slices, but not whole Rex files. Good enough for me. Better, in fact. 🤷‍♂️

selig
RE Developer

14 Aug 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
14 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
10 Aug 2021
Can mimic load rex files?
Can load Rex slices, but not whole Rex files. Good enough for me. Better, in fact. 🤷‍♂️
Do you mean it can load slices IF you export them as .wav files?
[in other words, you're saying it can load .wav files?]
Selig Audio, LLC

lowtom

14 Aug 2021

selig wrote:
14 Aug 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
14 Aug 2021

Mimic can load Rex Slice files. No need to export to .wav. Just unfold Rex file in Browser and drag and drop desired slice to Mimic.
:reason: :refill: :re:

RoryM0

14 Aug 2021

lowtom wrote:
14 Aug 2021
selig wrote:
14 Aug 2021

Mimic can load Rex Slice files. No need to export to .wav. Just unfold Rex file in Browser and drag and drop desired slice to Mimic.
Bizarre. I mean that's great, but why allow this and not a whole rex file that maintains the slice points?

Loque

14 Aug 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
14 Aug 2021
lowtom wrote:
14 Aug 2021

Bizarre. I mean that's great, but why allow this and not a whole rex file that maintains the slice points?
You could always open Rex loop in the browser and load slices as samples.
Reason12, Win10

RoryM0

14 Aug 2021

Loque wrote:
14 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
14 Aug 2021

Sure I get it, but if this was a conscious decision by RS for Mimic to load rex slices and not rex files I just wonder what the thinking was behind that.

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
14 Aug 2021
Sure I get it, but if this was a conscious decision by RS for Mimic to load rex slices and not rex files I just wonder what the thinking was behind that.
No. This is just how Reason has always worked.

Rex slices appear in the browser and are accessible as if they were regular wave files. This is all that's happening. Because it can load waves, it can load slices.

RoryM0

14 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
14 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
14 Aug 2021

Rex slices appear in the browser and are accessible as if they were regular wave files. This is all that's happening. Because it can load waves, it can load slices.
ohhhhhhhhhh..... I see. Thanks :thumbup:

joeyluck

14 Aug 2021

avasopht wrote:
14 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
14 Aug 2021

Yeah but they are still .rx2 files and Mimic loads them. As mentioned, it's a Rex Slice file and it's just the full, ReCycle REX 2 files that won't load.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 12.07.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 12.07.46 PM.png (12.64 KiB) Viewed 6414 times

artotaku

14 Aug 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
14 Aug 2021
Loque wrote:
14 Aug 2021

Mimic is built with RE SDK which does not allow to drop REX files to REs as of yet.

It is quite interesting to see that RS adheres to its own limitations even if they were not forced to. You might even think they have a certain geeky joy in getting as much as is possible out of the limitations they have put on themselves - e. g. when looking e. g. at Complex-1 and frontside cabling. This is a bit like the saying "Eating your own dog food", they implement with the SDK rather than opening some "holes"/shortcuts to the host software circumventing the limitations.

They might add further functionality to the SDK later on which may include REX support, we don´t know.

Heigen5

14 Aug 2021

artotaku wrote:
14 Aug 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
14 Aug 2021

Mimic is built with RE SDK which does not allow to drop REX files to REs as of yet.

It is quite interesting to see that RS adheres to its own limitations even if they were not forced to. You might even think they have a certain geeky joy in getting as much as is possible out of the limitations they have put on themselves - e. g. when looking e. g. at Complex-1 and frontside cabling. This is a bit like the saying "Eating your own dog food", they implement with the SDK rather than opening some "holes"/shortcuts to the host software circumventing the limitations.

They might add further functionality to the SDK later on which may include REX support, we don´t know.
I thought Mimic was not built using a RE SDK as Mimic is part of the core code. Why would they build it with that?

Loque

14 Aug 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
14 Aug 2021
artotaku wrote:
14 Aug 2021

I thought Mimic was not built using a RE SDK as Mimic is part of the core code. Why would they build it with that?
If it is true, i would speculate, that they get the runs-always-and-everywhere for free. Where core components must be adjusted if something changes.
Reason12, Win10

Heigen5

14 Aug 2021

Loque wrote:
14 Aug 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
14 Aug 2021

If it is true, i would speculate, that they get the runs-always-and-everywhere for free. Where core components must be adjusted if something changes.
Well yeah, hope they make a new SDK then that allows it. But I'm still excited enough already now.

PS: even though they could either:

1) Have their own personal SDK.
2) Do those changes in the code anyway, as you can take the SDK code and do further changes outside it.

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
14 Aug 2021

Well yeah, hope they make a new SDK then that allows it. But I'm still excited enough already now.

PS: even though they could either:

1) Have their own personal SDK.
2) Do those changes in the code anyway, as you can take the SDK code and do further changes outside it.
If it can be done with the SDK, there are few advantages, if any, in having a personal SDK.

If it's not possible with the SDK then, and only then, would it make sense to have a private extension to it

• Information