Recording vocals

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Love Soldier

31 Jul 2021

I am considering Reason. Need feedback/review on audio recording quality/workflow especially vocals

guitfnky

31 Jul 2021

recording quality is no different than any other DAW (it'll sound as good or bad as what you put into it and how well you edit/mix). workflow for most projects is pretty nice in my opinion, especially for vocals. record the performance, do any comp editing you need, then use the pitch editor to clean up any timing or pitch issues.

there are some general downsides to Reason's workflow though, mostly in terms of long missing quality of life features (no auto punch, track folders, marker system, etc.). it's an excellent DAW if your primary focus is creative, but it isn't a mature DAW, and at some point that lack of certain basic features will become very clear. for some, that's not a problem, and others may realize they've outgrown the software.

watch some tutorials, give it a trial and see if it works for you. it really is fun, even for those of us who find its lack of basic features frustrating.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Heigen5

31 Jul 2021

The audio quality is the same in the all DAWs. There are comp editing to merge several takes, pitch editing to fix bad singing to be more in note, and slice editing to fix timing issues. There's also Audio quantize and timestretch. These all are pretty straight forward & simple to use. You could demo Reason to try them out yourself.

Billy+

31 Jul 2021

Download this version : 11.3.4 https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/reason1134 (without the latency issue) and run it in demo mode or register for the plus trial and get access to V11 & V12EA for 7 days - either way you should be able to run the demo after the 7 days to try some recordings you just won't be able to reopen projects or export until you buy a license or subscribe

motuscott

31 Jul 2021

You may find lack of punch in a problem when recording vocals.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

jlgrimes

03 Aug 2021

Love Soldier wrote:
31 Jul 2021
I am considering Reason. Need feedback/review on audio recording quality/workflow especially vocals
Yes no difference in recording quality among DAWs.

Biggest DAW differences comes down to a couple of things

1. Workflow (Some DAWs might make it easier to record/produce vocals than others). Reason does have a decent comping editor and pitch correction which can help in alot of Vocal sessions. I'd say compared to most other DAWs for vocal sessions specifically, Reason is pretty on par with other DAWs. It pluses is decent comping, decent pitch correction. Its minuses is that its audio editing GUI (Zooming in and finely editing beats, Automation editing for examples) can get cumbersome but I haven't used it in awhile specifically for audio. It might have gotten better with 11.

2. Quality of plugins (There could be huge differences in quality of plugins among DAWs. That said using the same VSTs, there won't be any difference, if you don't like the plugins that are in the DAW, but most would give you fairly decent plugins at least to get you started). Reason is probably hit or miss if you are talking about vocal plugins. It has excellent synths, nice reverbs, choruses, a unique/great autotune effect. My main gripe would be the Compressor/EQ quality could be better. Mclass Series (Reasons typical basic plugins for mixing besides the SSL EQ and Comp) are pretty old and showing their age. I never really liked the compressor much for vocals (it could just be me though). I'm not a fan of SSL compression neither for vocals, and I prefer EQ plugins like Fabfilter Pro Q3 over an SSL emulation. That said Pulverizer is nice on vocals (for its specific character), and the SSL stuff works great on other stuff (instruments/synths). I personally just prefer more precision tools for vocals.

ProfessaKaos

03 Aug 2021

Billy+ wrote:
31 Jul 2021
Download this version : 11.3.4 https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/reason1134 (without the latency issue) and run it in demo mode or register for the plus trial and get access to V11 & V12EA for 7 days - either way you should be able to run the demo after the 7 days to try some recordings you just won't be able to reopen projects or export until you buy a license or subscribe
What is the latency issue?
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

• Information