And...Charged + $196 ... WTH!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WOO

17 Oct 2021

joeyluck wrote:
22 Jul 2021
avasopht wrote:
22 Jul 2021
Not good. But RS do tend to resolve these issues as soon as they know about it.
It sounds to me like the OP had signed up for a yearly subscription, in which the promo was for monthly? And maybe some lines of communication got crossed when they were inquiring about it?

The monthly plan will show $19.99 pending for the next month, but the coupon will be applied at the time of each charge for each of the 3 months. That is a question support has been answering a lot. If anything, the accidental charge would be for $19.99 (for a month) and not $199 (for a year). So I'm not sure what might've happened here, but that's my guess.
I also signed up for the 3 months for 3 dollars a few days ago. And it shows 19.95 pending for the next month what's up with that? So the coupon code will automatically be applied next month without any further action on my part until the offer expires? Why couldn't reason have just charged my card for the whole 3 for 3 all at once? That should have been an option at checkout. Geez how many people have canceled this promotion after the first or second month anyway to justify billing monthly?

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2021

Oh snap ... I thought I'd been charged for R+, but then realized it was for some RE I purchased.

Creativemind

17 Oct 2021

jamespember wrote:
22 Jul 2021
huggermugger wrote:
22 Jul 2021
This whole upgrade, sort of upgrade, maybe subscribe, Reason +, Reason Companion, Suite, beta, incremental updates on the subscription thing is just one big ball of confusion. I can't imagine what it's like for the dozen or so Props employees who have to keep all this shit straight.

Count me out until at least Christmas. Nothing in R12 is worth the upgrade price anyways, so far as I can tell.
Thx for the feedback. We're hoping we can straighten lots of this out during the autumn because yes, there is definitely work to be done here.
I'm still a little miffed that after my £3 for 3 months was up it automatically rolled over for another month at full price. That's sneaky. I've cancelled it now and back on 11.

The other sting in the tail is, I primarily use Reaper with the RRP and now all my project templates that I set up using RRP 11 that took quite a while (set up about 5) now won't load because I saved some of them again with slight additions and now the RRP in them is a later edition and hence won't load now I'm back on 11 so gotta do them all again.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2021
aeox wrote:
17 Oct 2021

Same thing happened to me a few days ago.. I tried to make a ticket but it hasn't been seen yet I don't think.

I see you helped this guy, could you do the same for me?
It is highly likely that James would be glad to help here, but it seems he is allergic to official support tickets. How this is still an issue after so many months is mind boggling though. Not the most frictionless way to create music in Reason if users have to constantly submit information or bugs as official tickets and seeing no movement for the resolution, but it is quicker to get support on an unofficial channel. Add that to the confusing state of things!
Would be nice, I need that 200 dollars 3 days ago.

Oh well, I guess. Nothing I can do but wait.

miscend

18 Oct 2021

Creativemind wrote:
17 Oct 2021

I'm still a little miffed that after my £3 for 3 months was up it automatically rolled over for another month at full price. That's sneaky. I've cancelled it now and back on 11.
Were you expecting them to shut down your account after 3 months were up?

Heater

18 Oct 2021

Creativemind wrote:
17 Oct 2021
I'm still a little miffed that after my £3 for 3 months was up it automatically rolled over for another month at full price. That's sneaky. I've cancelled it now and back on 11
The same happened to me. I'm a little miffed at myself for not noticing.

jamespember
Reason Studios

18 Oct 2021

aeox wrote:
17 Oct 2021
jamespember wrote:
25 Jul 2021

Glad to hear it! :thumbup:
Same thing happened to me a few days ago.. I tried to make a ticket but it hasn't been seen yet I don't think.

DM me.

jamespember
Reason Studios

18 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2021
aeox wrote:
17 Oct 2021

It is highly likely that James would be glad to help here, but it seems he is allergic to official support tickets. How this is still an issue after so many months is mind boggling though. Not the most frictionless way to create music in Reason if users have to constantly submit information or bugs as official tickets and seeing no movement for the resolution, but it is quicker to get support on an unofficial channel. Add that to the confusing state of things!
Allergic? I just don't work in support - so that's why I am not working on tickets. I try be helpful where I can here, but I am not in the support team.

To be clear, there is no bug here causing this. These cases are users actively switching to annual plans (by clicking a button which says switch to annual billing) which is why they're being charged $199. Of course, if it's an accident or unclear, we'll make that better (watch out for some significant fixes to this within then next week or so), but it's not like we are just pulling money from peoples credit cards without consent or action.

jamespember
Reason Studios

18 Oct 2021

Heater wrote:
18 Oct 2021
Creativemind wrote:
17 Oct 2021
I'm still a little miffed that after my £3 for 3 months was up it automatically rolled over for another month at full price. That's sneaky. I've cancelled it now and back on 11
Sorry if this wasn't what you were expecting or if you find this sneaky, we'll try make this clearer for future campaigns.

That said, I doubt we'll ever have a situation where subscriptions do not automatically roll over after the campaign period. This is standard in pretty much every service, and I actually think it makes more sense that the minority of users who don't want to continue have to take an action, rather than the majority of users who do want to continue at full price (which has happened here) have to take an action.

Good feedback though, thank you for sharing it. We've done a lot of work over the last few weeks on the entire account management flows and pages for Reason+, including pricing, coupons and the like. You'll start to see that rolling out over the next few weeks.

Creativemind

18 Oct 2021

Heater wrote:
18 Oct 2021
Creativemind wrote:
17 Oct 2021
Same. I know a lot if not all online or computerised contracts do this these days but it should be illegal. It isn't up to the user to opt out, it should be opt out automatically or there should've been an alert. It's acrually legalised theft. I wonder how much they made from that overall? bet they were hoping that would happen when they divided their 3 for 3 deal.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

eusti

18 Oct 2021

Creativemind wrote:
18 Oct 2021
Same. I know a lot if not all online or computerised contracts do this these days but it should be illegal. It isn't up to the user to opt out, it should be opt out automatically or there should've been an alert. It's acrually legalised theft. I wonder how much they made from that overall? bet they were hoping that would happen when they divided their 3 for 3 deal.
Interesting!

So you feel as well that when a streaming service gives you a month free trial that you should then have to be asked for the service to be continued after the trial period elapsed? While I agree that that would be nice and kind I don’t think that is how it is done. Is it ethically ok to do that? Well, I’m sure that part of the subscription model is people who actually forget to use use the service and don’t cancel, etc… Is that nice? Well, no… Bit until practices like that are outlawed I think the consumer needs to protect them self and set a calendar reminder, etc. That’s just my opinion.

It’s not that RS (again my opinion) was doing the 3 x 3 offer to make you a gift… It’s a promo to get you into the system.

D.

lowtom

19 Oct 2021

I tried 3x3 promo and each month I was receiving statement over e-mail. When I received last one (3rd), I went to RS website to cancel subscription, so I will not be charged full/normal price for next (4th) month. It works like this everywhere for subscription based services or apps, 30 day free trails, promos and so on. It is not something new, so where is the problem?
:reason: :refill: :re:

chimp_spanner

19 Oct 2021

Tbh while I can see how it might be viewed as "sneaky", in most instances where a trial has lapsed into a full subscription, companies have refunded me if it's obvious that I haven't used the service. Even Amazon did that for my folks when they realised they'd been paying for Prime for *months*. I think so long as companies are able to track users login activity and willing to correct obvious mistakes then there's no problem. But yeah as others have said, ultimately it's *your* money, *your* card details. You should always set reminders that you've entered into a potentially binding arrangement.

EnochLight

19 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2021
It is highly likely that James would be glad to help here, but it seems he is allergic to official support tickets.
Just for clarity, James is not "allergic to official support tickets". It's not his department - full stop. Also, he offered to help get your issue addressed in the Rewards thread, since your support ticket apparently hadn't had any movement. As far as I'm concerned, that's doing you a solid.

*EDIT: whoops - I see that James already responded to your post.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

electricthing

19 Oct 2021

I subscribed for 3 months for 3 euros.
These months end on jan 11 2022.
Does anybody know at what date I should unsubscribe?
Not sure if the subscription will go on untill the end of the 3 months when I unsubscribe at for instance jan 1 2022.

Thanks in advance.

jamespember
Reason Studios

19 Oct 2021

electricthing wrote:
19 Oct 2021
Not sure if the subscription will go on untill the end of the 3 months when I unsubscribe at for instance jan 1 2022.

Thanks in advance.
Even if you cancel now, you'll have until January 11th 2022 to use Reason+. So if you're worried about the auto-renewal, you can cancel whenever you want, and you won't lose any subscription time or anything.

Heater

19 Oct 2021

jamespember wrote:
18 Oct 2021
That said, I doubt we'll ever have a situation where subscriptions do not automatically roll over after the campaign period. This is standard in pretty much every service, and I actually think it makes more sense that the minority of users who don't want to continue have to take an action, rather than the majority of users who do want to continue at full price (which has happened here) have to take an action.
Yes I agree. It's up to the user to ensure that they keep track.

The reason why I was a bit miffed was that I planned to just have the 3 months to trail R12 and then buy the upgrade which I did so I payed for a month that I'm not going to use. My fault entirely.

electricthing

19 Oct 2021

jamespember wrote:
19 Oct 2021
electricthing wrote:
19 Oct 2021

Thanks in advance.
Even if you cancel now, you'll have until January 11th 2022 to use Reason+. So if you're worried about the auto-renewal, you can cancel whenever you want, and you won't lose any subscription time or anything.

pushedbutton

19 Oct 2021

This is why they didn't get my £3.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2021

It's everyone's responsibility to lock their doors.

But when this stuff happens, I lose all respect for companies that make it difficult.

joeyluck

19 Oct 2021

It is not difficult to cancel the subscription. If you want to take it down to the wire as to when you should cancel that's the customer making it difficult. And this wasn't one quick month, this was three. Either way, this is standard and sounds like they are very accommodating.

aeox
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 Oct 2021
It is not difficult to cancel the subscription. If you want to take it down to the wire as to when you should cancel that's the customer making it difficult. And this wasn't one quick month, this was three. Either way, this is standard and sounds like they are very accommodating.
I've just been busy with a lot of stressful things happening lately and I forgot :oops:

joeyluck

19 Oct 2021

aeox wrote:
19 Oct 2021
joeyluck wrote:
19 Oct 2021
I've just been busy with a lot of stressful things happening lately and I forgot :oops:
Yeah it happens to all of us. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time. And you knew to just calmly contact RS/James about it. I'm just responding to others who claim there is some wrongdoing occurring.

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2021

joeyluck wrote:
19 Oct 2021
Of course it's not difficult to cancel a subscription.

Nobody has complained about that.
A company refusing to refund an unintended purchase of a subscription that costs then NOTHING is in no way comparable to FORGETTING to cancel or MIXING up dates.

One is an honest mistake. The other is profiting off of the statically likely and very human error and REFUSING to return the person's money for no justifiable Reason. That's deceptive and morally reprehensible.

Making out that one is the same as the other is, ... well, ... Someone is charged for an unintended purchase and your first point of call is to compare them to the very person taking their money against their will (or interests of one wanted to get needlessly pedantic).

That's giving people a hard time. It's very unemphatic.

• Information