2 things are strange

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

First of all i have been having a problem when i export my song. It sounds strange and pings for the entire duration of the first chord of a combined subtractor super saw (4 of them to be precise), but then it returns to the way it normally sounds after the initial notes have been played. Like the first chord has three nots playing at the same time and they sound very odd until the next three notes play. Also, when i first open the project it sounds strange like this but all i have to do is click stop until the cursor moves to the beginning of the project and the strange sound goes right away until i export it again...after i export it the strange sound starts again and then i click stop until the cursor etc..etc..
Also, Reason suddenly started stopping playback when i open a different app like safari or fl studio or iTunes...very strange indeed. So ultimately im thinking its something going on inside my computer as opposed to inside Reason 11. Thanks, Bill

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9018
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 19 Jul 2021

Sounds like your compressor starts working or to be precise your compressor is not working at the beginning.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
ProfessaKaos
Posts: 377
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post 19 Jul 2021

billylean wrote:
19 Jul 2021
First of all i have been having a problem when i export my song. It sounds strange and pings for the entire duration of the first chord of a combined subtractor super saw (4 of them to be precise), but then it returns to the way it normally sounds after the initial notes have been played. Like the first chord has three nots playing at the same time and they sound very odd until the next three notes play. Also, when i first open the project it sounds strange like this but all i have to do is click stop until the cursor moves to the beginning of the project and the strange sound goes right away until i export it again...after i export it the strange sound starts again and then i click stop until the cursor etc..etc..
Also, Reason suddenly started stopping playback when i open a different app like safari or fl studio or iTunes...very strange indeed. So ultimately im thinking its something going on inside my computer as opposed to inside Reason 11. Thanks, Bill
Do you have a Softube Spring Reverb on that instrument that is playing the chord?
Reason 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

ProfessaKaos wrote:
19 Jul 2021
billylean wrote:
19 Jul 2021
Do you have a Softube Spring Reverb on that instrument that is playing the chord?
i have an RV 7000 that all four of the subtractors are running through...but i bypassed it and exported it and it still made the weird sound...very frustrating

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

Loque wrote:
19 Jul 2021
Sounds like your compressor starts working or to be precise your compressor is not working at the beginning.
well i don't have any compressors on anything anywhere so its not that...

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

anybody have any thoughts on the playback being paused when i open a different app like safari? also, it resumes right where it left off when i re-open Reason

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9018
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 19 Jul 2021

billylean wrote:
19 Jul 2021
Loque wrote:
19 Jul 2021
Sounds like your compressor starts working or to be precise your compressor is not working at the beginning.
well i don't have any compressors on anything anywhere so its not that...
Than, without a sound example, song file or patch, anything is speculation. It's like "what do i have in da pocket"?... "dirt" is the most obvious answers...
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

[/quote]
Than, without a sound example, song file or patch, anything is speculation.
[/quote]

indeed, here you go: https://soundcloud.com/billylean/star

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

so i tried exporting a test song where i just had 4 subtractors playing three note chord and it did the same pinging thing again...I really don't know what could possibly be going on or what to do

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 888
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 19 Jul 2021

billylean wrote:
19 Jul 2021
anybody have any thoughts on the playback being paused when i open a different app like safari? also, it resumes right where it left off when i re-open Reason
If you go to Edit->Preferences, click on the Audio tab and there should be a checkbox at the bottom that says "Play in background". Make sure that checkbox is ticked and Reason should play in the background when you switch to another application.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2406
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 19 Jul 2021

adfielding wrote:
19 Jul 2021
billylean wrote:
19 Jul 2021
anybody have any thoughts on the playback being paused when i open a different app like safari? also, it resumes right where it left off when i re-open Reason
If you go to Edit->Preferences, click on the Audio tab and there should be a checkbox at the bottom that says "Play in background". Make sure that checkbox is ticked and Reason should play in the background when you switch to another application.
This
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

yea i get it now can someone help me figure out why i can't stack subtractors without getting some crazy ping sound
THANK YOU

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 888
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 19 Jul 2021

billylean wrote:
19 Jul 2021
yea i get it now can someone help me figure out why i can't stack subtractors without getting some crazy ping sound
THANK YOU
When you say "crazy ping sound" do you mean that pluck right at the start? To me that just sounds like the filter enveolpe is being used to open & close the filter quickly, which is the default behaviour of the Subtractor's Init patch.

If that's not what you want, you need to make sure the filter envelope isn't affecting the filter. Look at the "Filter Envelope" section and make sure the "amt" knob is set to 0. Also, make sure that the filter envelope isn't being controlled by the note velocity - in the bottom right hand "Velocity" section, make sure "F. Env" is set to 0. As an extra precaution, make sure that the "Mod Envelope" section destination isn't set to Freq 2 if you're not using it. Outside of that - without seeing the patch or knowing what is and isn't intentional it's hard to know what you're going for.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2406
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 19 Jul 2021

adfielding 4 the win.
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

adfielding wrote:
19 Jul 2021
billylean wrote:
19 Jul 2021
yea i get it now can someone help me figure out why i can't stack subtractors without getting some crazy ping sound
THANK YOU
When you say "crazy ping sound" do you mean that pluck right at the start? To me that just sounds like the filter enveolpe is being used to open & close the filter quickly, which is the default behaviour of the Subtractor's Init patch.

If that's not what you want, you need to make sure the filter envelope isn't affecting the filter. Look at the "Filter Envelope" section and make sure the "amt" knob is set to 0. Also, make sure that the filter envelope isn't being controlled by the note velocity - in the bottom right hand "Velocity" section, make sure "F. Env" is set to 0. As an extra precaution, make sure that the "Mod Envelope" section destination isn't set to Freq 2 if you're not using it. Outside of that - without seeing the patch or knowing what is and isn't intentional it's hard to know what you're going for.
Hi there, thank you so much for your replies! the y mean a lot...Anyway so it is a fairly simple patch; very simple really: basically I just took a subtractor and reset the device (obv) then i turned on osc 2 and tuned it down an octave then turned the mod envelope sustain all the way up and chose osc 2 as the destination and turned the 'mod envelop gain' to 63..that way it sounds cool i don't even know why it sounds like it does but yea anyway that's all i did and then i copied it four times and also tuned fine tuned the first oscillator of the first one +16 next one +12 then +8 then +4 then -4 then -8 then -12 then minus -16..so that's all I've done and they all go into a mixer. I've determined this ping thing happens every time I close and open the project as well as export also I raised the filter envelope sustain to 127 and the amp envelope sustain to 127 and the filter is set to 100 on all 4 of them

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2249
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 19 Jul 2021

It sounds like it is an envelope issue.

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jul 2021
It sounds like it is an envelope issue.
yea i thought it could be but why would it only happen when i close/re-open the project ? then i reset the cursor to the beginning and it goes away...

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2249
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 19 Jul 2021

billylean wrote:
19 Jul 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jul 2021
It sounds like it is an envelope issue.
yea i thought it could be but why would it only happen when i close/re-open the project ? then i reset the cursor to the beginning and it goes away...
Who knows? What matters is if you manage to bounce your song without it being there!

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

na can't bounce it either

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3640
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 19 Jul 2021

does the patch have any portamento on it?

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

no it doesn't

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 605
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 19 Jul 2021

I found that Subtractor's oscillators aren't really suitable for a unison instrument like a supersaw as they always start from the same point.

I made a combi patch several years ago that did what you're trying to do and found that whenever I created a new instance or loaded a project with it in there was a second or two of weird phasing as the detuned oscillators began their drift.

Is this along the lines of what you're experiencing? If so, the only workaround I found was to either play the synth manually first, or sequence a note at the start of a song whilst it was muted.

billylean
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 Jul 2021

Post 19 Jul 2021

Aquila wrote:
19 Jul 2021
I found that Subtractor's oscillators aren't really suitable for a unison instrument like a supersaw as they always start from the same point.

I made a combi patch several years ago that did what you're trying to do and found that whenever I created a new instance or loaded a project with it in there was a second or two of weird phasing as the detuned oscillators began their drift.

Is this along the lines of what you're experiencing? If so, the only workaround I found was to either play the synth manually first, or sequence a note at the start of a song whilst it was muted.
great idea i will try

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2249
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 19 Jul 2021

billylean wrote:
19 Jul 2021
na can't bounce it either
But what if you bounce it to audio and add a manual fade then if modifying or automating the envelope doesn't work? I mean only on that track, that should give it the sound you're after anyway, I think?

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3640
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 19 Jul 2021

I suspect whatever is happening isn’t being described very well and it’s making it difficult to help. I couldn’t hear any pinging in the soundcloud file when it was available, and it sounds like we’re still no closer to an answer despite some really good suggestions about what might be going on. would it be possible to do a screen/audio capture of what’s happening from within the active session?

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], makke, Mataya and 3 guests