Reason Remote Override Bug!!! (confirmed and explained)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2021

Last night I was using my MIDI controller (Nektar T4) coupled with a Nektar Footswitch and M-Audio Expression Pedal to control device parameters in Reason using the Edit Remote Override Mapping command. I was having trouble understanding why for some parameters I wasn't able to get full range, that is to say 0-10 or 0-100 for example. In many cases assigning, not only the Foot Controllers, but also the Mod Wheel I was only managing to get the range from 0.4 to 9.6 or 0.04 to 99.96. I started messing about checking out different scenarios and it would appear to be a bug.

All parameters which are labelled as 0 to 127 give a full range when Edit Remote Override Mapping is assigned to the Mod Wheel (or whatever exp pedal/ footswitch)
Parameters labelled 1 to 10 or 1 to 100 or Hz do not give the full range.
Some parameters labelled with % give the full range. Jiggery Pokery REs for example work fine. Others such as pan spread on Grain don't.

This can be demonstrated very clearly using Europa. On the wave section assign Mod Wheel to Oct. Moving the Mod Wheel gives you the full range 0 to 4. Doing the same for same for tune gives the full range for those parameters. Now try doing the same for KBD or Shape. You only get the range 0.4 to 99.6.

Take Pulsar as another example. LFO 1 with Sync Switched off.
Using the Mod Wheel, rate goes from 0.07Hz to 1,01kHz instead of 0,06Hz to 1,05kHz whereas Level gives the full range 0% to 100%.¨
Using the Mod Wheel, Phase goes from 1 degree to 359 degrees instead of 0 to 360 whereas Lag goes from 0% to 100%

I thought it may be something to do with my hardware so I wrote to Nektar. They tried what I explained using a number of different controllers (different manufacturers) and were able to recreate what I had described.

Anyone here confirm?

I'm on Reason 11 latest version but I seem to remember having similar problem in R10.

Thanks
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2021

It would appear to be related to whether the parameter being controlled is "continuous" or "not- continuous"
Continuous doesn't give the full range.
Not-continuous does give the full range..
Something to do with MIDI values.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

artotaku

17 Jul 2021

In Europa, the shape and lots of other properties are of continuous number type ranging from 0.0 to 1.0 (floating point) while e. g. octave is a stepped value with a min = 0 and max = 4 (integer).
This might explain why there is a difference in behaviour.
Maybe there are rounding errors when converting them to remote values. It seems like a bug to me and may be specific to RE devices and Remote. You should file a bug report to RS.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2021

artotaku wrote:
17 Jul 2021
In Europa, the shape and lots of other properties are of continuous number type ranging from 0.0 to 1.0 (floating point) while e. g. octave is a stepped value with a min = 0 and max = 4 (integer).
This might explain why there is a difference in behaviour.
Maybe there are rounding errors when converting them to remote values. It seems like a bug to me and may be specific to RE devices and Remote. You should file a bug report to RS.
Thanks, yeah...that's pretty much what I was trying to say in the post above. I already opened a ticket but I'm guessing it's the "Nature of Reason" and will never get fixed. Who knows. I'm just glad my hardware isn't broken.

That said, this may cause issues with devices where continuous values is desirable such as Wah or Whammy pedals. The sound is probably not discernible to my ear but for example if a Whammy or other pitch shifting device with expression is out by 0,4 doesn't that have a detrimental effect?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dioxide

17 Jul 2021

Yeah I'd also suggest reporting it to RS as a bug. I reported a similar bug a while back and it sounds like it might be related to that.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2021

dioxide wrote:
17 Jul 2021
Yeah I'd also suggest reporting it to RS as a bug. I reported a similar bug a while back and it sounds like it might be related to that.
Already reported it early this morning.
I think fixing it however may break backwards compatibility.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information