NI Komplete Kontrol - Full Reason Mixer Integration yet? Workarounds?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ctoph87

14 Jul 2021

Hey everyone!

This is my 1st time posting here. I never really felt the need to sign up before but I already delved into Reason here and then for the past 10 years but with massive breaks so I figured I could get help on some pressing issues surrounding the software.

I absolutely love Reason, I recently tried Ableton Live but got massively confused by the workflow as well as the clunky timeline selection etc. Mabye it is just a matter of getting used to it but Reason just seems more intuitive still.

To the Topic at hand:

Recently I jumped the gun and got myself a NI Komplete Kontrol S series keyboard. It works great with Reason but from what I have researched, neither NI or Reason have yet announced full integration support for it, so no native control of Mixers via knobs and displays for example.

Right now I am attempting manually binding the CC Knobs to a set of 16 mixer sliders and save the project as a preset for every time I load the project. I want to keep the Range itself on full (1-127) and my idea was to map them to the Mixer Sliders of my DAW (Reason) , the only problem is that any time I restart the program, the Sliders start from the bottom as soon as I move my knobs since they always start at 0 on my S49 Mk2. For example, for Reason the 0 dB setting is at around 93 for the Knob. Is there a way I can tell Komplete Kontrol to sync up properly to the software values without this snapping back to 0? That way I wouldnt mess up the mix any time I want to make slight adjustments when returning to the project the next day.

But anyhow I feel like Reason users would love full integration, not the painful workaround with 2 different midi configurations (standard midi + mackie control unit) which does not let you control the mute/solo button as well as Mixer functionality and many other functions.

Thoughts and Tips?

Thank you :)
Some of my Music made with Reason:

https://soundcloud.com/bartishere

QVprod

14 Jul 2021

You can set up Komplete Kontrol as a Mackie Control. It’s MCU compatible. The knobs on my Komplete Kontrol A don’t seem to do much but perhaps assigning and banking may be better. Particularly on the S series.

jam-s

16 Jul 2021

I suppose you're using the Remote override mode to map your controls. That's to get something to work, but not really the best way to go. The best way would be to write (or rather modify from an other controller) a RemoteCodec and RemoteMap for your Komplete Kontrol. That way the current values of the Reason controls can be sent to the keyboard and thus it then knows the actual position of the faders.

• Information