High resolution Reason is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Rising Night Wave

12 Jul 2021

i installed this v12 but i have no cable. damn. i! hav! no! cable!
f$%&!!!!! no cable and no 4K!!!!!
hehe
my laptop only has 1K or FHD. but my TV has 4K BUT i have no cable!
no cable bable fo fo fo
damn i am gonna loose my nerves. no cable.
f*** that sh**! i have no cable.

I HAVE NO CABLE!!!
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

dannyF

12 Jul 2021

What about any impact on performance?

Whats the catch?

challism

12 Jul 2021

dannyF wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Whats the catch?
As I understand it, DSP uses your CPU, HD graphics use your GPU. So the only impact on performance would be slower bitcoin mining, I guess.
Rising Night Wave wrote:
12 Jul 2021
hehe
no cable bable fo fo fo

I HAVE NO CABLE!!!
Hadn't you heard? Reason 12 has gone wireless. (joking) That sounds like a strange bug to me. Report it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Deep Schulzz

12 Jul 2021

dannyF wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Whats the catch?
I have the feeling that R12 needs longer to load complex projects & it seems to be overall a bit slower. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

challism wrote:
12 Jul 2021
dannyF wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Whats the catch?
As I understand it, DSP uses your CPU, HD graphics use your GPU. So the only impact on performance would be slower bitcoin mining, I guess.
Actually if you go back you will read that rebuilding the images uses cpu...

I will try and find it...
MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
This all depends, even intel Macs and Iris GPUs come in different flavors. But in our testing it's been pretty good across the board. I'm using a 2016 MacBook Pro with Iris myself and my personal computer is also a 2016 MBP with a Nvidia card iirc. The scaling is done by the CPU though, only drawing the results is dependent on the graphics card.

esselfortium

12 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
challism wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Actually if you go back you will read that rebuilding the images uses cpu...

I will try and find it...
MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
This all depends, even intel Macs and Iris GPUs come in different flavors. But in our testing it's been pretty good across the board. I'm using a 2016 MacBook Pro with Iris myself and my personal computer is also a 2016 MBP with a Nvidia card iirc. The scaling is done by the CPU though, only drawing the results is dependent on the graphics card.
Scaling is done just once after you set the zoom %. It's not a constant process.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Rising Night Wave

12 Jul 2021

challism wrote:
12 Jul 2021
dannyF wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Whats the catch?
Rising Night Wave wrote:
12 Jul 2021
hehe
no cable bable fo fo fo

I HAVE NO CABLE!!!
Hadn't you heard? Reason 12 has gone wireless. (joking) That sounds like a strange bug to me. Report it.
no. i have no cable to connect my laptop with my tv so i can see the goodnes of hi-res reason 12. my laptop has only fhd.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

esselfortium wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Scaling is done just once after you set the zoom %. It's not a constant process.
Yeah that's kinda neat, RS dev always seem to find an interesting way of thinking, I would be interested to know what gave them the approach or if they tried a few alternative methods before they settled on their approach.

When they first announced Hi Res I was concerned that we would all need a dedicated GPU. But nope so well done developers :clap:

pushedbutton

12 Jul 2021

Looking forward to putting my purchase order in at work to buy a perpetual upgrade licence from Suite.
Some clue about how much I have to budget for and which month end it needs to be filed by would be great ;)
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

pushedbutton wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Looking forward to putting my purchase order in at work to buy a perpetual upgrade licence from Suite.
Some clue about how much I have to budget for and which month end it needs to be filed by would be great ;)
RS said September and CM said the 1st but I don't know how true that is as they hardly ever cover RS in the CM mag.
As for price who knows, budget for the usual £130 and hope for a pay what you want :lol:

joeyluck

12 Jul 2021

Some of the first REs I checked in Hi-Res:
Malström!
And CRAPRE No.2 (of course!)

(open in a new tab):

rcbuse
RE Developer

12 Jul 2021

I would love to see the panda REs in high res... mmm.... I tried to get the beta after an email was sent but couldn't download anything and I don't have the time to sort that shit out. Anyone got some screen shots ?

gullum

12 Jul 2021

Reason + 12 is slower and has lag when scrolling the rack on my mac mini intel. the graphics sure look better but not worth the frustration if it lags and is slower, and had a black screen when closing Reason so I'm back to using 11 for now

QVprod

12 Jul 2021

gullum wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Reason + 12 is slower and has lag when scrolling the rack on my mac mini intel. the graphics sure look better but not worth the frustration if it lags and is slower, and had a black screen when closing Reason so I'm back to using 11 for now
Have you allowed the graphics to load fully? I also have an intel Mac mini. 2018. Rack scrolling speed is normal. No lag at all. No black screen or issues at all on my end. Even without the loading the graphics fully, black screen is weird.

gullum

12 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
12 Jul 2021
gullum wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Have you allowed the graphics to load fully? I also have an intel Mac mini. 2018. Rack scrolling speed is normal. No lag at all. No black screen or issues at all on my end. Even without the loading the graphics fully, black screen is weird.
I will give it some more testing but except from better graphics there is not much to come for in the + subscription for me

EdGrip

12 Jul 2021

Pretty please can you make the little device-expanding arrow buttons a bigger mouse target? They don't need to be so small.

Faastwalker

12 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Is it better to uninstall Reason 11 before installing R12? Is there a installation guide or something? :question:
I was wondering the same. I imagined that the new R12, early access features would just update in R11 the way updates have been coming for a while now - update notice at top of screen when Reason launched. But in this case I had to install R12 alongside R11 and then set everything up (default song, MIDI, audio, theme etc) once installed and launched. Felt more like I was installing an R12 beta to be honest. Is this a release candidate? Can I get rid of R11 and just get on with using R12?

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2021

At the default 100% zoom level, everything looked like it was over sharpened, and kind of ugly honestly. Will I never be able to use the 100% view again because of this? Hope not. I'm settling on the 140% zoom level, as that seems to strike a good balance on my 2k 32" screen. Upon first loading a device, the lo-res look is somewhat jarring. I don't like seeing these crappy looking devices so what I'm going to do is drag every single one of my REs onto the rack in an OCD wave of madness, and then just go for a bike ride hoping they'll all res-up by the time I get back. I'm hoping you come up with a more elegant solution.

Anyway, I don't know if this is a bug (I'm not beta-testing) but the the R12 browser doesn't retain the developer folders open/minimized setting - that is, I like to have my RE developer device sections closed. In R12, when you navigate from say, instruments to effects, then go back to instruments, all the folders have expanded. Close them, go back to effects, then go back to instruments, and they're open again. Please fix this. Also, Synapse's Phaser and Project Sam's Orchestral Sampler don't have hi-res assets available yet so I don't know what that's all about. ProjectSam abandoned Reason a long time ago, so is it on them to provide those assets? And what's the deal with having to re-download all my REs to enable HI-Res? I thought it was always built in. I think I read somewhere that I have to also delete Klang, Pangea, etc, and re-download them - again, I thought the Hi-resness of everything was already there. I hope this is a one time thing and won't have to re-download everything every time you make changes.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

12 Jul 2021

I believe in order to cache the graphics, those devices need to be in frame / in view. So simply loading a project with all REs won't work.

All REs will be available in hi-res, but those that aren't available to upgrade just haven't been processed yet.

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2021

I've had Viking and Zero in view for the past 10 minutes and they still haven't refreshed.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2021

joeyluck wrote:
12 Jul 2021
I believe in order to cache the graphics, those devices need to be in frame / in view. So simply loading a project with all REs won't work.
That doesn't appear to be the case here. Some of my out of view REs have updated. My in-view REs however, have not!
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2021

My "ALL REs" project takes forever to load, and then when I checked on it in Activity Monitor I saw this :shock:
Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.56.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 7.56.33 PM.png (11.08 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
My Mac started breathing heavily. I aborted.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Jagwah

13 Jul 2021

gullum wrote:
12 Jul 2021
hurricane wrote:
12 Jul 2021
...so what I'm going to do is drag every single one of my REs onto the rack in an OCD wave of madness, and then just go for a bike ride hoping they'll all res-up by the time I get back. I'm hoping you come up with a more elegant solution.
hurricane wrote:
12 Jul 2021
I've had Viking and Zero in view for the past 10 minutes and they still haven't refreshed.

Gees I thought people were talking about a few seconds somewhat reminiscent of what is now called 'texture pop-in' in video games. This sounds like it really isn't going too smoothly for some users and the beta phase is already over :?

Bes
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2021

i think the machines just need to cache the images, maybe even a few times but i think its a short term issue and in a week we'll be talking about somethnig else
- Certified Reason expert

DaveyG

13 Jul 2021

Jagwah wrote:
13 Jul 2021
This sounds like it really isn't going too smoothly for some users and the beta phase is already over :?
The weird thing is that the Beta phase is still running but the latest version on the Beta channel is lagging behind the version just released to R+ subscribers. So subscribers have unwittingly become Beta testers. I guess it's one way to make sure more bugs get squished before the September release.

• Information