High resolution Reason is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MattiasHG
Reason Studios

12 Jul 2021

Deep Schulzz wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Sorry if this a stupid question. The scale ability thing concerns only the Reason Plugin Device and not Reason 12 DAW? :oops:
It concerns both. :) We've re-built the entire graphics engine for all variations of Reason 12.
Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
I'm running an intel based Mac with an iris graphics device, what's the performance going to be like?
This all depends, even intel Macs and Iris GPUs come in different flavors. But in our testing it's been pretty good across the board. I'm using a 2016 MacBook Pro with Iris myself and my personal computer is also a 2016 MBP with a Nvidia card iirc. The scaling is done by the CPU though, only drawing the results is dependent on the graphics card.

helmutson

12 Jul 2021

orthodox wrote:
12 Jul 2021
helmutson wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Do I have to reinstall every RE for the new HiRes feature ?
Yes, but it's done with one click at "Upgrade installed devices to hi-res" in Companion.
Not all REs are converted yet.
:thumbs_up:

Deep Schulzz

12 Jul 2021

Thanks. I found it in the option menu. That's nice.

deeplink
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2021

QVprod wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Deep Schulzz wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Sorry if this a stupid question. The scale ability thing concerns only the Reason Plugin Device and not Reason 12 DAW? :oops:
Reason is both the DAW AND the Plug-in. It applies to Reason as a whole.
The WHOLE DAW.
Even the transport and browser increase in size.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

gullum

12 Jul 2021

now time to trial Reason + my eyesight is getting worse so hope hi-res will help me see better, but it's the ears that are important

gullum

12 Jul 2021

deeplink wrote:
12 Jul 2021
QVprod wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Reason is both the DAW AND the Plug-in. It applies to Reason as a whole.
The WHOLE DAW.
if thats the case then it would be just as easy to change resolution on the screen

bik44

12 Jul 2021

If I buy a subscription will I lose my standard licence for Reason 11 which I currently have?
And then decide whether to continue the subscription or cancel it and upgrade the standard Reason 11 to 12 licence.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

12 Jul 2021

gullum wrote:
12 Jul 2021
deeplink wrote:
12 Jul 2021

The WHOLE DAW.
if thats the case then it would be just as easy to change resolution on the screen
Except you wouldn't magically get more pixels without hi-res assets. That's the whole root of the problem and what people have been complaining about, they can't just have any screen resolution they want and have Reason look good in the size they want at the same time. :)

This version makes sure Reason can look good on any screen resolution, pixel density, OS setting etc. and that you can choose how big you want Reason to be. Zooming separately in the rack to, say, focus on a specific synth is something we'd look into for the future. It'd be designed quite differently though and requires this tech to work.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

12 Jul 2021

bik44 wrote:
12 Jul 2021
If I buy a subscription will I lose my standard licence for Reason 11 which I currently have?
And then decide whether to continue the subscription or cancel it and upgrade the standard Reason 11 to 12 licence.
No, you'd roll back to the latest perpetual version you have. Note that any songs made in Reason 12 are not backwards compatible to 11 though so you'd have to either keep subscribing or buy the perpetual upgrade to work with any songs made in Reason 12.

WasteLand

12 Jul 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
bik44 wrote:
12 Jul 2021
No, you'd roll back to the latest perpetual version you have. Note that any songs made in Reason 12 are not backwards compatible to 11 though so you'd have to either keep subscribing or buy the perpetual upgrade to work with any songs made in Reason 12.
i have receieve an email, for 3 euros, 3 month reason+....
i am not fond, to say the least, on subscriptions... but to work with a stable version, instead of a beta version, i did get into the beta program, as any other i think, didn't installed it yet, didn't want to mess up.

but the email lacks some important info, will the subscription stop after 3 months. the only way, i will consider it, when it is temporary, to see what i will get with reason 12, i have reason 11 suite now, and some third party RE's.. great RE's..

o well not important. will the subscription be cancelled automatically after 3 months? i didn't go to checkout.. can you pay it with paypal, because no CC, don't want a CC, don't need it.
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
This version makes sure Reason can look good on any screen resolution, pixel density, OS setting etc. and that you can choose how big you want Reason to be.

Zooming separately in the rack to, say, focus on a specific synth is something we'd look into for the future. It'd be designed quite differently though and requires this tech to work.
I'm really interested in the second paragraph, so if I'm happy with Reason standalone and my preferred screen resolution is 1920x1080 nothing has changed - my rack is the same, I can't zoom into a device and the device images still look like V11 apart from the extra animations?

guitfnky

12 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
This version makes sure Reason can look good on any screen resolution, pixel density, OS setting etc. and that you can choose how big you want Reason to be.

Zooming separately in the rack to, say, focus on a specific synth is something we'd look into for the future. It'd be designed quite differently though and requires this tech to work.
I'm really interested in the second paragraph, so if I'm happy with Reason standalone and my preferred screen resolution is 1920x1080 nothing has changed - my rack is the same, I can't zoom into a device and the device images still look like V11 apart from the extra animations?
they should look much sharper, even at standard 100% zoom.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

guitfnky wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021

But standalone rack isn't zoomable in or out just sharper....
The whole zoom level thing is really just an RRP feature or am I missing something?

chimp_spanner

12 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
guitfnky wrote:
12 Jul 2021

The whole zoom level thing is really just an RRP feature or am I missing something?
Standalone Reason is zoomable by going to Options -> Application Zoom. This will enlarge everything though (browser, transport, etc.) so if you're a non-4K user you might find that 120-140 is the highest usable zoom. That's the case for me.

In the plugin you should see a new control in the top bar; a magnifying glass.

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021

Standalone Reason is zoomable by going to Options -> Application Zoom. This will enlarge everything though (browser, transport, etc.) so if you're a non-4K user you might find that 120-140 is the highest usable zoom. That's the case for me.

Ah ok, it's a shame Ryan didn't show that in the video,

So you can't set different levels for sequencer mixer and rack

chimp_spanner

12 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
chimp_spanner wrote:
12 Jul 2021

No, it's gonna affect all on screen elements. Can't say if that'll change. For now it's more of a set-and-forget thing for people with high DPI displays who were struggling to read text. It obviously looks/feels a bit better in RRP cos the only thing that's enlarged is the browser, and you can just hide that when you're done. I have that at 140%.

VIVIsect

12 Jul 2021

So, with the browser changes. Is it possible to drag and drop from browser to VST yet?

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

VIVIsect wrote:
12 Jul 2021
So, with the browser changes. Is it possible to drag and drop from browser to VST yet?
I was hoping that I could export or drop all my drum samples from refills into XO but I don't think it's going to happen

Kategra

12 Jul 2021

110% scaling is enough for me on a 1440p 32 inch monitor , ~90 cm viewing distance.

Look how gorgeous is Subtractor at 200%
200%.JPG
200%.JPG (318.48 KiB) Viewed 4199 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021
VIVIsect wrote:
12 Jul 2021
I was hoping that I could export or drop all my drum samples from refills into XO but I don't think it's going to happen
It's definitely not going to happen for you seeing as how you said you're not going to upgrade :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

fieldframe
RE Developer

12 Jul 2021

chimp_spanner wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021

No, it's gonna affect all on screen elements. Can't say if that'll change. For now it's more of a set-and-forget thing for people with high DPI displays who were struggling to read text. It obviously looks/feels a bit better in RRP cos the only thing that's enlarged is the browser, and you can just hide that when you're done. I have that at 140%.
There was a thread on this in the beta forum, and while it looks like this wasn't addressed in the Reason+ release, hopefully we'll see it in Reason 12.

The thing is, the visual density of the rack isn't uniform, unlike the transport bar and other UI elements. Between legacy devices like Subtractor and newer devices like Europa, the older devices are more dense while newer ones are less so. Third-party devices cover at least as wide a gamut. Being able to boost the scale of the rack slightly, independent of other UI elements, would allow the denser devices to appear closer to the density of the rest of the UI, while making the less dense devices only slightly less dense than average.

Aquila

12 Jul 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Basically we're scaling each hi-res asset to suit your zoom level, OS zoom setting, screen, pixel density etc. when needed. To not cause any issues (glitches, hangs, etc.) while you're making music, this is done with low priority in the background while you see a roughly scaled preview. It then "switches in" when done. Kind of like the time stretch preview in the sequencer. Once it's scaled, we cache the images so you only need to do it once for your zoom level of choice.
Out of curiosity, is there some sort of visual indicator to let users know the GUI is being rendered like a progress bar or spinner anywhere on the screen? (If not, it might help the uninitiated users understand what's going on)

Heater

12 Jul 2021

Can someone tell if R12 is native Mac M1?

Billy+

12 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Jul 2021

It's definitely not going to happen for you seeing as how you said you're not going to upgrade :).
I said I wouldn't upgrade until I actually see a feature I want, need or would use.
(currently I don't see anything, just like you staying on V10 until free upgrade to V12 :lol: )

BRIGGS

12 Jul 2021

Kategra wrote:
12 Jul 2021
Look how gorgeous is Subtractor at 200%

200%.JPG
Yep...it's never looked better! :puf_smile:
r11s

• Information