Frequency Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
graeme75

09 Jul 2021

Hi.

I have Reason 11 and I'm following a techno tutorial and its based in Live.

The first thing is to make a rumble kick. I have made a parallel channel of the kick and rand it though a distortion unit.

I have 3 questions if anyone can help

1) What is the best distortion unit in Reason for making a rumble kick

2) The tutorial then creates a low pass filter with a threshold of 77Hz. Whats the best device for doing this in reason, the mixer can only go to 100Hz?

3) To let the kick come through more they cave out the kick frequency (54hz) from the rumble kick. Again what is a good utility to do this

Is there a way of doing 2) & 3) on the same device

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Graeme

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

09 Jul 2021

If using stock then look at the MClass EQ for sculpting out frequencies, plus you can also look at the half-rack PEQ2 and ECF filter (ECF can do low pass). PEQ doesn't have freqs on the dials but you do have a mini EQ plot graph so will be a bit more 'by ear'. ECF just has a dial covering the freq range, again by ear. you can then combi the units together and fold away / save it for another project if you felel you use this 'template' often (way faster than keep rebuilding)

If you want more advanced though you can look into the RE side of things, where Black Knight can do the EQ part across 5 bands, plus you can change the band type as well as see the EQ plot in hybrid and digital views.

Distortion.... nw that's a whole new ball game because it depends on what ou're doing. Flat out crushing or warping then look at Scream 4. Also depends on if you do distortion first then EQ or EQ first then distortion; if you do EQ cuts it shouldn't really matter which order, but if you do big EQ gains then distort you drive the signal into the distortion unit differently because the maxing out within the unit, if you EQ post distortion the EQ only 'cleans up' (and also drives the next unit in the chain)

We added a saturation option and 2 saturation models to Black Knight with routing so you can saturate pre-or post-eq purely because of this reason. You can also input drive Black Knight into the saturation then EQ, or drive into the EQ then sculpt then saturate for different tones.

Give it (and other REs) a trial see how you get on. Try different methods too that you might not think of (add a sub/sine low end harmonic to your kick too so you get the weight as another parallel sound and mix that with your crispy cruched out kick)

strat1980

09 Jul 2021

1) Scream 4 is very suitable in distortion mode. But so is the old D-11 Foldback Distortion. I also like to use the Saturation Knob. Is free in the store https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... tion-knob/

2) The SSL mixer is more musically designed. It is not particularly suitable for precise interventions. However, you can go below 100 Hz with the ECF-42 filter. Unfortunately, it does not display the frequency accurately. But you can add the spectrum EQ from the mixer. There you see the frequency then approximately. The Magma Classic also works. It's also free. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ic-filter/

3) You can make a boost at 54 Hz with the Mclass Equalizer.

If you want to spend money, I recommend the Synapse GQ-7 Graphic Equalizer as a problem solver. It can do everything you want. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equalizer/

If you don't want to spend money I would go for free VSTs like the Nova. https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

selig
RE Developer

10 Jul 2021

Pulveriser can handle this, but I question only leaving 20 Hz (54-77 Hz) for the rumble kick which is barely half an octave wide - not nearly enough to generate harmonics considering the first harmonic is at least one octave above the initial frequency. I would consider these values as starting points for sure!
Selig Audio, LLC

Voyager

10 Jul 2021

graeme75 wrote:
09 Jul 2021
The first thing is to make a rumble kick
...what is this trend and obsession with "rumble kick" ? Totally overused and spammed in every production and nowadays it won't give any personality to your track. Be more creative and try to create some different basslines, separate yourself from the mass. It's not because you don't use it you aren't making Techno per say..My rant is over and my apologies for spamming your post but couldn't resist..

strat1980

11 Jul 2021

Voyager wrote:
10 Jul 2021
graeme75 wrote:
09 Jul 2021
The first thing is to make a rumble kick
...what is this trend and obsession with "rumble kick" ? Totally overused and spammed in every production and nowadays it won't give any personality to your track. Be more creative and try to create some different basslines, separate yourself from the mass. It's not because you don't use it you aren't making Techno per say..My rant is over and my apologies for spamming your post but couldn't resist..
That's like someone asking you how to play power chords and you answering: „power chords are used too often. Play solos or make up your own chords.“ Before you can get creative you have to master basic techniques. So it's totally ok if you first try to copy your favorite genre.

• Information