Working Titles

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aosta

05 Jul 2021

What's the name of the last track you messed around with?
Are you the type that just picks the first thing that pops into their heads or do you have a title already in mind?
Tend the flame

BRIGGS

05 Jul 2021

I just put the date, and save the creativity for the actual music.
r11s

pushedbutton

05 Jul 2021

If I start with beat i find it harder to name the track but more recently I've had at least a draft for a vocal that i'll use for a title.
Most recent project that nobody will ever hear is called 'Good guys don't burn books'.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

michael.jaye

05 Jul 2021

210706 MillsBissmire

Named after date of creation and what artists it reminded me of.

Sometimes its Date then Genre, sometimes I have a title in mind then write a track around it, sometimes the title becomes apparent as I'm writing the track.

PhillipOrdonez

05 Jul 2021

I save all my projects as follows: genre, date, tempo, and key.

Steedus
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2021

my default naming goes something like:
RSN11_Untitled_10XXX.reason
it's been my go to since version 6 .. it's a bit messy. makes it hard to remember ones that are actually half decent too haha

rorystorm

06 Jul 2021

I work in projects so its normally the name of whatever artist I'm ripping off that week, then 01, 02 etc.

deeplink
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2021

Tracks are generally saved as jfiduehd8dbwieod
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2021

rorystorm wrote:
06 Jul 2021
I work in projects so its normally the name of whatever artist I'm ripping off that week, then 01, 02 etc.
Same
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

madwurmz

06 Jul 2021

it's called " 69 (Decibelle got nu lufs) "
I'm trying 100 beats in 100 days, i just made number 69 :puf_wink:
to match the theme it's 69 bpm and is using the 6 and 9th in some scale, well i'm just messing around .
normally i put the chordname or scale I'm learning in the title.
madwurmz from planet verbs

Popey
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2021

Normally for me i just put the genre, bpm and it's key however there has been occasions when i have thought of a name just from a vocal sample i liked and built a track around it.

Ps. Thinking about it I have also started a track called neglected re-lations using synths from the RRP as i realised i used the reason fx in every track but had neglected to use the synths.

gullum

06 Jul 2021

last one is Untitled 2 but I usually just name them what ever first comes to mind then sometimes I change the name later

DaveyG

06 Jul 2021

If it's a "proper" pop or rock song I normally have the hook and/or the chorus worked out in advance so it gets a name something akin to the finished title, recent examples: "Newman", "Alive", "I'll Be There".

If it's me noodling around with something, maybe a new synth, it gets a name from the instrument or patch, examples: "Chroma", Scally", "Bap Bap".

If it's me strumming a guitar looking for inspiration it gets called "Strummy 139" or whatever number has not been used yet.

If it's me trying to come up with a decent chord progression it gets called, rather boringly, something like "Chord Prog 452 (upbeat)".

I have lots and lots and lots of the last two categories and I rarely ever refer back to them! :lol:

adfielding

06 Jul 2021

Typical format for me is "ProjectName-VagueTrackName", so if it's sound design work it'll be "SoundDesign-BlahBlah", if it's a general idea then just "Idea-BlahBlah", band stuff is "BandName-BlahBlah", you get the idea. Typically the vague track name is a rough description of the track so I recognise it. I used to just label stuff as "idea_x" but that's a really crappy way of distinguishing one document from another.

Every once in a while I'll bounce and archive the stuff I haven't finished, keeping unfinished ideas as audio is a huge thing for me nowadays as it's much easier to listen back to an old idea as audio rather than opening it up and hoping it's something you might want to work on.

Billy+

06 Jul 2021

I have a directory structure based on the Reason standalone version with subdirectories of the year then always name a new file using the day number month name year number with a track number.

Reason11/2021/06-July-2021-01.

I have done it that way since Reason01 and when upgrading I will resave in the correct ReasonXX directory if changes have been made and always create a new year directory even if the version doesn't change.

plaamook

06 Jul 2021

I need names that are distinct or I can’t tell them apart.
Then if/when they get released and I pick release titles I can’t remember what’s what when people ask me about them. I only remember working titles.

Most of what I do is sketches and sound design that get mashed together in various ways and those parts all need names to.

I’ve got a system but it would be gibberish to anyone else.
Like AE024 -2 calc arrange.reason
Or it might get an actual name if something really strong has been in my mind.

Last album I pulled up a list of all the wrecked ships off the south coast of England and used them for working and release titles. I’ve used other technical lists too like hydrothermal vent fields or rearranged Greek or Latin names of various life forms.
Often they’re strings of abbreviations.

Generally I don’t like naming things I make. It’s like taking a nebulous shifting form or sound and fixing it. Don’t like picking album art either.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

challism

07 Jul 2021

If I can't think of a name of the track when it's time to save, I don't want to waste too much time/effort on that. I go to https://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day and copy a small phrase from the word of the day example sentences. Today's word is "underfunded incumbent" so I might name a project: "underfunded challengers take on the incumbent" (or maybe just "underfunded incumbent"). I've found this to be a quick and mindless way to name a new project while also learning new words. :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

avasopht
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2021

For me it's yyyy-mm-dd - However The Song Sounds / Makes Me Feel.
adfielding wrote:
06 Jul 2021
Every once in a while I'll bounce and archive the stuff I haven't finished, keeping unfinished ideas as audio is a huge thing for me nowadays as it's much easier to listen back to an old idea as audio rather than opening it up and hoping it's something you might want to work on.
Yep, and I also bounce the once that sound pretty good (multitrack and both with and without effects). That way it's easy for me to mess around with it as a sample or build on from the track in any DAW of my choosing.

Aquila

08 Jul 2021

I gave up trying to use working titles and switched to numbering a couple years back. I think I'm up to 70-something now.

chimp_spanner

08 Jul 2021

I used to key mash. Needless to say this wasn't a good system. These days I just call it roughly what it sounds like + what I was doing and the tempo, in case I can match it to other ideas later on. So like 138 Rainy Fry Up Heavy Swingy

The last track I actually worked on is called Battle Mode, but I only know what that is cos it reminds me of Doom. And sounds like Doom haha.

plaamook

09 Jul 2021

challism wrote:
07 Jul 2021
If I can't think of a name of the track when it's time to save, I don't want to waste too much time/effort on that.
I’ve had moments where I’m just staring at the save screen for ages with a blank mind trying to get out of formless sound mode and into verbal mode and it just isn’t happening. So yeah, hence any kind of list or the dictionary as you say.

There’s also this...
https://relatedwords.org/
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information