Suggestion: Reason 12 - Pay What You Want?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BananaSkins

19 May 2021

Before you jump onto the dangling fishing line bait from Reason-Studios and buy R11 to get R12 free think about this!

According to Propellerhead at the time...
The ‘Reason 6 Pay What You Want’ project was extremely successful.

6-Versions on and just maybe; Reason-Studios is about to pull the trigger with the same bullet...

Will ‘Reason 12 Pay What You Want’ be the next roll of the dice? Should the latest Reason 11 upgraders have waited? ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

BananaSkins wrote:
19 May 2021
Before you jump onto the dangling fishing line bait from Reason-Studios and buy R11 to get R12 free think about this!

According to Propellerhead at the time...
The ‘Reason 6 Pay What You Want’ project was extremely successful.

6-Versions on and just maybe; Reason-Studios is about to pull the trigger with the same bullet...

Will ‘Reason 12 Pay What You Want’ be the next roll of the dice? Should the latest Reason 11 upgraders have waited? ;)
Nope and nope.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

QVprod

19 May 2021

No... they made that money back and then some (likely) by introducing REs less than a year later.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

I think I remember that the whole point of that 6.5 PWYW was to integrate Record with Reason and, as said above, the RE rocket took off there and people have been eating porridge for dinner ever since.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

platzangst

19 May 2021

BananaSkins wrote:
19 May 2021
It's worth pointing out that 6 versions on and for all that time RS has not decided to do that again, successful or not.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

How come I can see above that BananaSkins has quoted himself but I can’t see what he’s replied?
Edit: looks like he took it away again.
Edit 2: and now it’s back.
Last edited by MrFigg on 19 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

19 May 2021

Reason 6 PWYW was a way of getting users off pirated copies and into an ecosystem where the props could earn some money going forward.

MarkTarlton

19 May 2021

They needed to get as many customers on the RE platform so even if they gave R6 away for free, it was going to bring in a ton of income moving forward. If they wanted a bridge to grab as many customers on to the monthly payment scheme it would be one approach that clearly worked well for them in the past.

fieldframe
RE Developer

19 May 2021

I would say the chances of this are zero, but I think that number is too high.

BananaSkins

19 May 2021

MarkTarlton wrote:
19 May 2021
They needed to get as many customers on the RE platform so even if they gave R6 away for free, it was going to bring in a ton of income moving forward. If they wanted a bridge to grab as many customers on to the monthly payment scheme it would be one approach that clearly worked well for them in the past.
Yes Mark - that is in my mind too :thumbs_up:

Heigen5

19 May 2021

So you think the Props always have to WORK hard and give stuff off for free, or almost free?

SebAudio

19 May 2021

6 was PWYW only for owners of Record&Reason, Reason « only » owners had to pay the normal upgrade price. Perhaps it was because of RE, perhaps it was because of the failure of Record and not having to provide support to Record users
Last edited by SebAudio on 20 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

SebAudio wrote:
19 May 2021
6 was PWYW only for owners of Record&Reason, Reason « only » owners hard to pay the upgrade price. Perhaps it was because of RE, perhaps it was because of the failure of Record and not having to provide support to Record users
The failure of Record.
The failure of Balance.
The failure of Rewards.
Hmmm.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2021
SebAudio wrote:
19 May 2021
6 was PWYW only for owners of Record&Reason, Reason « only » owners hard to pay the upgrade price. Perhaps it was because of RE, perhaps it was because of the failure of Record and not having to provide support to Record users
The failure of Record.
The failure of Balance.
The failure of Rewards.
Hmmm.
Why do you think record was a failure? Record was a step further in the evolution of reason.
The functionality of reason and record merged in R6.

Before Record a reason upgrade was 75 eur. From then on a reason upgrade costs 130 and people keep upgrading. I'd say it was a success helping reason turn into a complete daw (despite of some of the issues we know). It was record what allowed me to use reason as my only daw.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

mcatalao wrote:
19 May 2021
MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2021

The failure of Record.
The failure of Balance.
The failure of Rewards.
Hmmm.
Why do you think record was a failure? Record was a step further in the evolution of reason.

Before Record a reason upgrade was 75 eur. From then on a reason upgrade costs 130 and people keep upgrading. I'd say it was a success helping reason turn into a complete daw (despite of some of the issues we know). It was record what allowed me to use reason as my only daw.
I don’t think Record was a failure. I love it. It was SebAudio who said it was a failure. Was it him you were asking?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2021
mcatalao wrote:
19 May 2021

I don’t think Record was a failure. I love it. It was SebAudio who said it was a failure. Was it him you were asking?
Ooops, i saw your post without context.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

mcatalao wrote:
19 May 2021
MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2021

:)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

19 May 2021

The value added with Reason 6 was really little if you came from Record 1.5 and Reason 5. To kill-off Record (or rather Reason classic, as Record took its place) they had to get at best all of its users onto Reason 6. The pay-what-you-want offer worked pretty well for this as far as I can tell.

Also it put all users who upgraded from Reason 5 to Reason 6 onto the codemeter DRM system.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

jam-s wrote:
19 May 2021
The value added with Reason 6 was really little if you came from Record 1.5 and Reason 5. To kill-off Record (or rather Reason classic, as Record took its place) they had to get at best all of its users onto Reason 6. The pay-what-you-want offer worked pretty well for this as far as I can tell.

Also it put all users who upgraded from Reason 5 to Reason 6 onto the codemeter DRM system.
Yes and no. Do not forget from R5+Record to Reason 6 you got 3 goodies: Alligator has been an important part of some of my tunes, Echo and Pulveriser are great devices, and i think it also got sequencer pitch editing. And at 6.5 (which you didn't pay, if i recall correctly) you got Rack Extensions. They were payed but still, they could have retain it a couple of months and release it on 7.0, but they did it still on R6.5 (the same was done with R9.5 and VST).

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

I doubt there will be a new PWYW in a near future. This is the longest grace period I've seen (grace periods are usually a couple of months) but as long as there's value i don't see them doing that.

TBH, i still wanted to see some Sequencer love. Not some shady MP3 conversion or a little midi improvement. Reason is missing some core DAW sequencer features like sequencer folder tracks, track freezing, auto punch in and out, and some mixer love.

That being said, reason has never been so complete, and imho, functionally there's nothing keeping you from making great music with reason!

Steedus
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

Yep, the upgrade to R6 for a Reason + Record owner was literally 3 FX devices (Alligator, The Echo and Pulveriser), as opposed to a R5 owner who was upgrading, it was absolutely massive. That's why they did a PWYW thing. I think I paid USD$60 ($20 per effect). There's no reason to do it again.

gbuck

19 May 2021

I gave them $60 for R6 because that was the price of Reaper.

SebAudio

20 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2021
mcatalao wrote:
19 May 2021

Yes, it was me :mrgreen: but no worries, my point of view doesn’t matter. I’ve posted just because each time v6 is refered as PWYW everybody forgot that it was only for record&reason owners.
And yes Record was a failure :mrgreen:
Last edited by SebAudio on 20 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 May 2021

SebAudio wrote:
20 May 2021
MrFigg wrote:
19 May 2021

Yes, it was me :mrgreen: but no worries, my point of view doesn’t care. I’ve posted just because each time v6 is refered as PWYW everybody forgot that it was only for record&reason owners.
And yes Record was a failure :mrgreen:
Your point of view absolutely does matter. I always feel dismay when I see the word “whining” being used on this forum to refer to people who are only stating their personal points of view. So yes, it does matter and if you want to give it then you should.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Philup

20 May 2021

How about a lifetime PWYW for R+?
They can add a Slider in our user account to increase or decrease the amount paid when the subscriber likes a new feature.

• Information