I've Installed Reason 1.0 On Windows 10 (ver. 20H2) - It Works!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
StephenHutchinson

19 May 2021

Having been a Reason user from the very first iteration of the product, I thought I would try and see if Reason 1.0 would still be able to be installed on a modern day PC. Lo and behold, it is possible to do.

While searching for a possible update to the first first version of Reason, I found v.1.01 on on the Reason Studios web site archives here:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/ ... isplaymain

All other past and present versions of Reason can be found here:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates

I was able to install it, run the program and load up the "Reason Sound Bank CD" and boom... what a blast from the past. I thought I'd share some screenshots (I can apparently only post 3 out of the 10 screenshots I have taken):
Attachments
02. Reason 1.0 - About Reason 2.jpg
02. Reason 1.0 - About Reason 2.jpg (171.22 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
04. Reason 1.0 - Full - Matrix+DrRex+Subtractor.jpg
04. Reason 1.0 - Full - Matrix+DrRex+Subtractor.jpg (178.38 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
08. Reason 1.0 - DrRex-SoundBank.jpg
08. Reason 1.0 - DrRex-SoundBank.jpg (170.75 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

StephenHutchinson

19 May 2021

Here are the other screenshots:
Attachments
00. Reason 1.0 - Insert Sound Bank CD.jpg
00. Reason 1.0 - Insert Sound Bank CD.jpg (37.76 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
07. Reason 1.0 -Instrument List.jpg
07. Reason 1.0 -Instrument List.jpg (121.14 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

DaveyG

19 May 2021

Hey! Nice logo! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mint

19 May 2021

:clap: Good finds mate.

dioxide

19 May 2021

From what I recall there were some other Easter Eggs in the early versions that didn't make it to later versions. For instance clicking on the Matrix nameplate displays the name of the device. Or something.

StephenHutchinson

19 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
19 May 2021
Hey! Nice logo! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I know, right? :D :lol:

StephenHutchinson

19 May 2021

dioxide wrote:
19 May 2021
From what I recall there were some other Easter Eggs in the early versions that didn't make it to later versions. For instance clicking on the Matrix nameplate displays the name of the device. Or something.
Holy smokes... it does!! It spells out "M A T R I X" Here's just a screenshot of it... with just the "M A" showing...
Attachments
09. Reason 1.0 - Matrix.jpg
09. Reason 1.0 - Matrix.jpg (456.35 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

Creativemind

19 May 2021

I wish they hadn't done away with that transport in Reason 8. It's way cooler looking. Update it perhaps yeah but not ditch it.

EDIT - It was Reason 5 it changed but Reason 8 is when we got the one we have now.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

fieldframe
RE Developer

19 May 2021

Reason 1.0 really had an aesthetic!

It's a bit of a shame that RS has gradually strayed from that over the years. Subtractor, NN-19, Redrum, and the others really looked and felt like hardware, while modern REs, even first-party and built-in ones, tend to look like a VST with some vague nods to hardware.

Don't get me wrong, Reason is better than ever, but the consistency and pixel-perfect attention to detail is something I miss.

bangaio

19 May 2021

Ahhh beautiful, timeless, classic, well thought out design. Look at the lovely pixels icons for selecting track types, no stupid wood grain, sequencer quantisation in the actual sequencer window along with other editing tools not hidden in a floating f8 window of doom. Everything has a place and the right amount of space. V1 was a superb bit of UI. It is ironic how other programs in all different areas of life have refined working in one window yet Reason now has adopted floating tools windows from the late 90s when back in the late 90s when it was first announced it didn't have them. God I loved Reason V1 - it blew my mind.

On another tip - I have bought this up before. When I bought V1 it was a masterclass in PR and marketing before social media. The .plan files, web cam, updates. I knew everything about how Reason worked and looked before it was released. Now we get an over excited over earnest marketing guy hyping things up with no actual concrete information to back it up. It is like the whole company has regressed from a forward thinking and open company to a drip feeder of hype with little substance.

Anyway back on track - what they made with V1 was simply revolutionary and it warms my heart seeing it again. I wonder how many of the original team listed in that credits splash screen still work there these days - very few I would imagine.

DaveyG

20 May 2021

bangaio wrote:
19 May 2021
God I loved Reason V1 - it blew my mind.
Me too. There was nothing even close to Reason when it landed. Until then soft synths were almost a novelty and as unreliable as hell but the Props gave us a serious set of tools that would run comfortably on the hardware of the day and did not crash. It almost seemed like witchcraft.

But it's been 20 years and when you are successful others learn, copy and sometimes, sadly, overtake you. It's hard to stay on top of the game over such a long period. Ignoring VSTs for so long was their first big mistake imo. It's like making an audio player and ignoring MP3. Regardless of what you think of such technologies, you can't afford to ignore them unless you are a megacorp.

StephenHutchinson

20 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
20 May 2021
bangaio wrote:
19 May 2021
Me too. There was nothing even close to Reason when it landed. Until then soft synths were almost a novelty and as unreliable as hell but the Props gave us a serious set of tools that would run comfortably on the hardware of the day and did not crash. It almost seemed like witchcraft.

But it's been 20 years and when you are successful others learn, copy and sometimes, sadly, overtake you. It's hard to stay on top of the game over such a long period. Ignoring VSTs for so long was their first big mistake imo. It's like making an audio player and ignoring MP3. Regardless of what you think of such technologies, you can't afford to ignore them unless you are a megacorp.
The product that got me into music making back in 1999 was ACID 2.0. It came bundled with my Yamaha SW1000XG sound card that I bought for making music with my Ensoniq SQ80 synth. The card and software had kinda, sorta good sounding midi playable instruments but it was so kludgy trying to record them in real time.

So I set off to do a Yahoo search (no Google back then to speak of). Up popped Propellerheads Reason. It had exactly what I wanted... midi keyboard input, good sounding drums, synths, a ton of presets and most of all.. the holy of holies... being able to lay everything down into the sequencer and then EXPORT it as a .WAV file. I was ecstatic. No more trying to record from the SW1000XG into the Yamaha software. A few months later, I sold the Yamaha card, and never looked back.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (440.13 KiB) Viewed 818 times
3nopoBb4DibwNeom4Rcg6m.jpg
3nopoBb4DibwNeom4Rcg6m.jpg (91.01 KiB) Viewed 824 times

StephenHutchinson

20 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
20 May 2021
bangaio wrote:
19 May 2021

I completely understand. I think the strangest thing I can remember was the Reason/Record duo, rather than having it as an all in one product. I did buy both products, and they worked reasonably (pun) well, but I wasn't really into the audio side of things at that time with Reason. Those were the days when Sony ACID Pro was at it's best (it's gone a long ways downhill with Magix since then).

Not having VSTs didn't really phase me at the time, for those I was using FL Studio and merging exports from that and tracks from Reason into ACID Pro for mixes. I'm glad that VSTs are now in Reason, and honestly I'm not missing VST3 support at this point. Most of the plugs I have come in VST2 (2.5) and work quite well. I know there are some plugins that only have VST3 versions, so here's hoping for Reason 12 to include native support.

"the Props gave us a serious set of tools that would run comfortably on the hardware of the day and did not crash. It almost seemed like witchcraft."

I use a variety of products now. Ableton Live Suite, FL Studio (All Plugins Edition), ACID Pro 10, and Reason+ (Reason 11). Out of all of those products, Reason is by far the most stable software I've ever used.

I run both Mac and Windows computers - 1 MacBook Pro 17" 2009 (recently repaired and upgraded with an SSD) - 1 MacBook Air 2015 - 1 crappy Lenovo Ideapad 330 - 1 killer Windows PC with i9900k chip and 32 GB of ram, etc etc.. Every single machine runs Reason perfectly. No crashes, no hangs, no unexpected problems with the exception of having once or twice loaded in a crappy VST plugin. That's it.

Yes there are some things that Reason lacks that Ableton Live has... but in terms of ease of use and stability, I find myself continually turning to Reason to get most of my creative juices flowing and then maybe move over to Ableton Live for finishing touches. And having the Reason Rack Plugin in Ableton is a blessing. I think that things with upcoming Reason releases are only going to get better, even if it takes some time.

• Information