Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

17 May 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021
deeplink wrote:
17 May 2021

Out of interest, are you in a position to clarify;

Will the "overhauled" Combinator be a separate device?
And will it be able to open existing .CMB patches?
It will depend on the question as we're still developing, but the Combinator will be an updated version of the same device. It can open existing patches but new patches are not backwards compatible.
I can understand the missing backward compatibility. Guess it will be challenging for patch designers (for Refills or RE) to create patches than. Maybe i need to keep a old R11 for that in such cases...Thanks for clarification, Matthias.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 May 2021

Seems like a good upgrade to me. I'm especially interested in the new sampler. It's very likely that I'll upgrade.

Even if your particular wishlist didn't match these new features, or if you had 10 more things you wanted included also, I have a hard time still believing the "Reason Studios never listen" claim. Sure they don't listen all the time and maybe not enough. But let's be honest, all these features have been requested by users for quite some time.

Let's also remember that there will be point updates as well. Sometimes these can improve a Reason version quite a bit.

Loque

17 May 2021

:clap: :thumbup:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/announcing-reason-12
The Combinator in Reason 12 is overhauled to be fully customizable, more powerful, and easier than ever to work with. With the wealth of devices available to power it, you can build Combinators that feel like new devices. Create a custom interface with the controls you want laid out how you like, add images, set up expressive macro controls, change the panel size, and more to make any patch your own.
Reason12, Win10

marcuswitt

17 May 2021

Applause, applause! The 1rst of September is not far from now.

The most two exciting features to me are the overhauled or even completely new Combinator and Hi Res graphics. But later then, in version 12.x, Track Groups and support of multitimbral instruments in the Sequencer are a must, in my opinion. Still, that seems to become a great upgrade. :thumbs_up:

madmacman

17 May 2021

Popey wrote:
17 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
17 May 2021

Presumably at full price rather than at the current 30% off? :(
I wondered this as it seems weird that reason 11 owners would not be able to take advantage of buying this during the sale. Perhaps it will be a cheaper upgrade price for 11 owners moving forward but guess we will find out in September. I can understand if they start offering smaller upgrade prices to those on the latest version eg £90 from 11 to 12, £129 for older reason users to get 12 but some would not be happy with that either.

If not it will surely annoy those that have 11 if previous version owners got a better deal but no point really speculating until it's clear later in year (appreciate I speculated above :) )
Well, at least to me Mattias' answer is totally clear: While you can't buy directly from Reason shop (because the buy button is locked), it seems to be perfectly fine to buy a redeem code from a reseller (e.g. JRR) *now* and enter your code after release on September 1st. Then you have your upgrade to R12 at a discount. Others may prove me wrong.

Popey
Competition Winner

17 May 2021

madmacman wrote:
17 May 2021
Popey wrote:
17 May 2021

I wondered this as it seems weird that reason 11 owners would not be able to take advantage of buying this during the sale. Perhaps it will be a cheaper upgrade price for 11 owners moving forward but guess we will find out in September. I can understand if they start offering smaller upgrade prices to those on the latest version eg £90 from 11 to 12, £129 for older reason users to get 12 but some would not be happy with that either.

If not it will surely annoy those that have 11 if previous version owners got a better deal but no point really speculating until it's clear later in year (appreciate I speculated above :) )
Well, at least to me Mattias' answer is totally clear: While you can't buy directly from Reason shop (because the buy button is locked), it seems to be perfectly fine to buy a redeem code from a reseller (e.g. JRR) *now* and enter your code after release on September 1st. Then you have your upgrade to R12 at a discount. Others may prove me wrong.
Yeah good workaround this as long as it let's you use the code if you already have reason 11 on your rs account.

madmacman

17 May 2021

Popey wrote:
17 May 2021
madmacman wrote:
17 May 2021

Yeah good workaround this as long as it let's you use the code if you already have reason 11 on your rs account.
Right after writing this, I just read in another thread here, that free R12 upgrade is restricted to sale on the RS shop. :cry:

EDIT: Source viewtopic.php?p=555416#p555416

Sorry - too much contradicting info incoming right now.
Last edited by madmacman on 17 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 May 2021

madmacman wrote:
17 May 2021
Popey wrote:
17 May 2021

Right after writing this, I just read in another thread here, that free R12 upgrade is restricted to sale on the RS shop. :cry:

Mattias said it was fine to buy from another retailer. RS Shop Support said it had to be bought from them. I've written again to support and asked them to check again. I'm sure Mattias is right...I hope so in any case because I bought my upgrade on the strength of what he said. I don't even want Reason 11.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

madmacman

17 May 2021

MrFigg wrote:
17 May 2021
madmacman wrote:
17 May 2021

Mattias said it was fine to buy from another retailer. RS Shop Support said it had to be bought from them. I've written again to support and asked them to check again. I'm sure Mattias is right...I hope so in any case because I bought my upgrade on the strength of what he said. I don't even want Reason 11.
Yeah, thanks for chiming in here. I hope things will get sorted soon.

DaveyG

17 May 2021

madmacman wrote:
17 May 2021

I'm pretty sure that won't work. JRR will give you a R11 upgrade code and your account will reject it if you are already on 11 because you don't have any qualifying products. It's not a risk worth taking unless RS specifically say it will work.

RoryM0

17 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
17 May 2021

Oh balls. Still on Win 8.1 here.
Hey, I'm not sure, but it might still be the case, that you can upgrade your win 8 for free, I upgraded from win 7 myself: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7520154
Will take a look, thanks.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

17 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
17 May 2021
madmacman wrote:
17 May 2021

I'm pretty sure that won't work. JRR will give you a R11 upgrade code and your account will reject it if you are already on 11 because you don't have any qualifying products. It's not a risk worth taking unless RS specifically say it will work.
That's correct, if you've already upgraded a license you can't upgrade it again so a Reason 11 Upgrade can't be registered to an account with Reason 11 or a license that has been upgraded to Reason 11.

I've also responded re: retail copies, sorry for the confusion. Retail versions of Reason 11 are also included in the grace period, like before.

DaveyG

17 May 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021
DaveyG wrote:
17 May 2021

That's correct, if you've already upgraded a license you can't upgrade it again so a Reason 11 Upgrade can't be registered to an account with Reason 11 or a license that has been upgraded to Reason 11.

I've also responded re: retail copies, sorry for the confusion. Retail versions of Reason 11 are also included in the grace period, like before.
Mattias, you need to put a "phantom" R12 upgrade item in the shop so those of us already on R11 can buy a future R12 licence now at the sale prices. Otherwise you would seem to be discriminating against your most loyal customers - the ones who already bought R11.

owlymane

17 May 2021

mravdirato wrote:
17 May 2021
owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Uhm ... so the new version of Reason:

- A new instrument
- An updated instrument
- Only search function updated to browser

And that’s it ...

≠ No sequencer updates
≠ No VST3
≠ No shortcuts
≠ No new themes
≠ No improved mixer
≠ No better integrations with modern keyboards such as novation.

Once again, another major update that should’ve been a point update.
Dude. CHILL. THEY HAVEN'T EVEN SAID EVERYTHING YET.
I’m actually very chill because that’s the third major release that disappoints me. I’m used to it by now.

I’m almost very certain that they have said everything. Read the blog and watch the video nothing has been said regarding sequencer, shortcuts or VST3.

Plus in the blog it clearly sais R12 was about improving the Rack. How can you expect more in the sequencer when you read that.

At this point it’s pretty clear. Whoever is looking for a more powerful sequencer like myself should look somewhere else.

epoch

17 May 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
17 May 2021
epoch wrote:
17 May 2021

Mattias, given OS X El Capitan is getting long in the tooth now, I was wondering if Reason 12 will still support it or if the macOS system requirement will be higher this time round?

Are you in a position to let us know at this point in development?
Yes, we'll bump the system requirements to macOS 10.13 and above and Windows 10 and above. This was a long time coming and it really helps development when we don't have support older, quite technically different systems. :)
OK cool! Thanks for letting me know :)

chimp_spanner

17 May 2021

For anyone worried about falling behind on the Windows requirements, you can download an installer for any edition of Windows 10 and install and run it without a license, with no time-out or serious functional limitations. I believe the only things you can't do are UI personalisation and you get a ghosted "Activate Windows" watermark on the desktop (it doesn't overlay or interfere with apps). It's actually in the instructions for Bootcamp when you create a Windows partition to just...go get it for free!

cymek74

17 May 2021

I hope to see sequencer improvements, VST3, VST Midi in/out, come along also, but to be positive 4k, a new modern sampler, and a newly updated combinator is all very welcome and needed, Reason really did lack a decent sampler with modern features, so I will upgrade definitely, and stay positive for another few features and improvements to put the icing on top. I'm genuinely excited about what's been announced so far.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

R303

17 May 2021

Ok, one point can definitely be noted:
These are all features that users of other DAWs will be very happy about.

Features themselves are great, of course.

madmacman

17 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
17 May 2021
Mattias, you need to put a "phantom" R12 upgrade item in the shop so those of us already on R11 can buy a future R12 licence now at the sale prices. Otherwise you would seem to be discriminating against your most loyal customers - the ones who already bought R11.
I would buy this in a heartbeat - even at the slightly higher rate on RS shop (compared to JRR).

dusan.cani

17 May 2021

Long time ago, I started discussion about MAJOR problems with Reason workflow. My aim was to provide useful and important feedback for company, but it seems that these critical issues are definitely not important for Reason Studios and they will never be fixed...

1) SEQUENCER: WRONG SCROLL BEHAVIOUR => viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7514067&p=466776
2) DISABLE BROWSER 'S AUTO DEFOCUS => viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510597
3) REMOVE NOTE ARROWS => viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7509926
4) AVOID LOGIN WINDOW => viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7507992

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7512272&p=446846

lzap

17 May 2021

Sequencer is a bit clunky and dated, but it works for me. :-)

R303

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
mravdirato wrote:
17 May 2021

Dude. CHILL. THEY HAVEN'T EVEN SAID EVERYTHING YET.
I’m actually very chill because that’s the third major release that disappoints me. I’m used to it by now.

I’m almost very certain that they have said everything. Read the blog and watch the video nothing has been said regarding sequencer, shortcuts or VST3.

Plus in the blog it clearly sais R12 was about improving the Rack. How can you expect more in the sequencer when you read that.

At this point it’s pretty clear. Whoever is looking for a more powerful sequencer like myself should look somewhere else.
Yeah, difficult. The question of why one should still use Reason independently cannot be dismissed.
But that's maybe not the right time today.

Gardinski

17 May 2021

That funky new customisable Combi looks the business! Above and beyond what most of us expected. I'm genuinely quite excited about this now.

No mention of VST3 support yet, I see... but I'm optimistic that it might be coming in a later announcement.

Given the general response to the current 30% upgrade offer, I reckon if Matthias & co were to rustle up a 'pre-buy' offer for current R11 users, it would represent a nice little cash injection for them. :puf_bigsmile: Go on, lads: You know you want to! Why not capitalise on the early excitement?

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 May 2021

Loque wrote:
17 May 2021
:clap: :thumbup:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/announcing-reason-12
The Combinator in Reason 12 is overhauled to be fully customizable, more powerful, and easier than ever to work with. With the wealth of devices available to power it, you can build Combinators that feel like new devices. Create a custom interface with the controls you want laid out how you like, add images, set up expressive macro controls, change the panel size, and more to make any patch your own.
This is crap. Now we got less stuff to complain about :thumbs_down:

helmutson

17 May 2021

I'm happy with it, but just because I'm a Logic Pro user now. All the hopes for a bigger and better sequencer are gone. They really concentrate all their power in the RRP. Is it good , is it bad ? I don't know really, but me think these guys are long enough in the business... I'm a fanboy still :puf_smile:

• Information