Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tallguy

17 May 2021

Just upgraded to v11 with the current discount knowing it will give me the v12 upgrade. From the sluggishness of the servers, I would say it's pretty popular.

That said, a quick glance at v11 reminded me why I didn't upgrade from 10. the only thing I really like is the curves in automation lanes.

challism

17 May 2021

Shadoww wrote:
17 May 2021
Is it just me or is the ‘12’ on the Reason 12 logo.. a little bit too small? Maybe over time it will get smaller and smaller and it will end up looking like a + ?
That's not Reason 12, that's Reason to the 12th power!
txh003 wrote:
17 May 2021
Tinnitus wrote:
17 May 2021

Why not upgrade to 11 now and then get 12 free on its release?
No urgent need. I have not used Reason in quite some time, and have other DAW-less, my primary workflow these days, and DAW options available.

Cancel my previous comment. I did not realize that Reason is presently on sale with the upgrade path to version 12 :o . With that said, I purchased the upgrade to Reason 11, but will wait until version 12 is released for installation.
So odd. Why wouldn't you install 11 now? There are plenty of new things that were added since the R7 version you currently have.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

tc13

17 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
17 May 2021
esselfortium wrote:
17 May 2021
So you're using another DAW, and you're not even using RRP?

I have to say, posting complaints on obscure forums about software you don't even use sounds like a real waste of time. If you're looking for easy workflow improvements, there's a quick tip!
IMO, if they like a lot of Reason’s features, but can’t get on board yet because of other missing features, their opinions should still be taken into account.
This kind of thinking is lost to me. If a tool isn't working for me. It is time to move on and find another tool. Time is too short for waiting and waiting if some,for me vital thing, is missing.

There are so many other options available so why spend time you could use for somthing better? I can't have all my wishes fulfilled all of the time. If someone else have, for me, better options then i just use them instead and be done with it.

You (please read that as I) should never expect things to do things that they dont promise they do. Use them for what they can do right now, don't expect features that you (I) might want and need to get implemented in the future. That is just a waste of time!
Last edited by tc13 on 17 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Shadoww

17 May 2021

challism wrote:
17 May 2021
Shadoww wrote:
17 May 2021
Is it just me or is the ‘12’ on the Reason 12 logo.. a little bit too small? Maybe over time it will get smaller and smaller and it will end up looking like a + ?
That's not Reason 12, that's Reason to the 12th power!
Ha ha hope so! But seriously, it must be a total nightmare for the graphic designer to have these two conflicting models. Which one is more important etc? My advice is ditch both the + and the 12 and just go with Reason. And market that. Then when we go to the buy section of the website we get the options clearly explained to us there. The number one rule in marketing is NOT to have confusion with the brand....and NEVER two conflicting logos with different messages :?
Last edited by Shadoww on 17 May 2021, edited 7 times in total.

turn2on
RE Developer

17 May 2021

Cool announce and OMG!!!.. Updated Combi :twisted: This is a dream! :thumbup:

Interesting to know about Arm-macs support. Soon at summer can be released M2/M1X Macs..
Good to know today about "yes/no" of arm-native support in R12. Support info can help to save money for many users who plan to buy new Macs. If R12 plan to work under rosetta, many of us just can skip this (1st/2nd) arm-generations of Macs (if know R12 not support them in native).
Last edited by turn2on on 17 May 2021, edited 3 times in total.

EdGrip

17 May 2021

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing a modern RS-style take on a creative sampler. :)

EdGrip

17 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
17 May 2021
A new version announcement 4 months ahead of release? A progress update to say “this is what we’re working on”? Unheard of! People wanted more open communication and here it is... Maybe that should’ve been added to the feature list 🤔
Yeah, this is much appreciated - cheers Mattias!

txh003

17 May 2021

challism wrote:
17 May 2021
txh003 wrote:
17 May 2021

No urgent need. I have not used Reason in quite some time, and have other DAW-less, my primary workflow these days, and DAW options available.

Cancel my previous comment. I did not realize that Reason is presently on sale with the upgrade path to version 12 :o . With that said, I purchased the upgrade to Reason 11, but will wait until version 12 is released for installation.
So odd. Why wouldn't you install 11 now? There are plenty of new things that were added since the R7 version you currently have.
Reason is not installed on my present studio PC, and has not been for several years. A few additional months of delay is not a big issue, especially for a software tool that is unlikely to be used very often. With that said, in September, I will surely download version 12 when available, and explore the new features since version 7.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

BRIGGS

17 May 2021

r11s

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

17 May 2021

EdGrip wrote:
17 May 2021
QVprod wrote:
17 May 2021
A new version announcement 4 months ahead of release? A progress update to say “this is what we’re working on”? Unheard of! People wanted more open communication and here it is... Maybe that should’ve been added to the feature list 🤔
Yeah, this is much appreciated - cheers Mattias!
Happy to hear that! We're definitely trying to be more clear and open with where we're going and what's coming up :)

guitfnky

17 May 2021

tc13 wrote:
17 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
17 May 2021

IMO, if they like a lot of Reason’s features, but can’t get on board yet because of other missing features, their opinions should still be taken into account.
This kind of thinking is lost to me. If a tool isn't working for me. It is time to move on and find another tool. Time is too short for waiting and waiting if some,for me vital thing, is missing.

There are so many other options available so why spend time you could use for somthing better? I can't have all my wishes fulfilled all of the time. If someone else have, for me, better options then i just use them instead and be done with it.

You (please read that as I) should never expect things to do things that they dont promise they do. Use them for what they can do right now, don't expect features that you (I) might want and need to get implemented in the future. That is just a waste of time!
I understand the sentiment, but I also think it’s a bit short-sighted. I don’t think this stops people from working—they DO use the other options available to them, because they have no choice. but they would prefer to use xyz instead, because it has a better overall workflow for them.

for example, I just started using Ableton. it does everything I need except for ONE thing (native pitch editing). for some people, that one thing could be the difference between using it or not. I’ve seen lots of posts on their forums about how they love Live, but aren’t going to keep using it because it’s missing whatever features they need. they pop onto the forum’s feature request thread to express their need.

and maybe more importantly, feature requests are how good software is built around the user base. we all benefit from new features, even if we’re not specifically the ones who need them. we should welcome feedback.

TLDR version: feature requests aren’t the same thing as complaining* about the software (there can be overlap though, for sure). you get a new feature, it’s good for you, even if you didn’t ask for it (as long as it doesn’t make something else worse).

*apparently RT censors the word b.i.tching for some reason 😂
Last edited by guitfnky on 17 May 2021, edited 2 times in total.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

17 May 2021

VIVIsect wrote:
17 May 2021
I've been saying forever that Reason desperately needs an updated, modern sampler. Glad to see that's finally on the way! Excited to hear about the new Combinator and browser features, as well.
The first thing that sprang to mind was...why not update the NN-XT? they updated the Combinator. I love the NN-XT and it only needed a few improvements, one being the ability to sample directly into it in the RRP (I'm assuming this will be do-able in the new sampler device?) and the other, being able to play a sample up and down your midi keyboard without speeding up or slowing down (obviously with the ability to have either).
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

DaveyG

17 May 2021

Creativemind wrote:
17 May 2021
VIVIsect wrote:
17 May 2021
I've been saying forever that Reason desperately needs an updated, modern sampler. Glad to see that's finally on the way! Excited to hear about the new Combinator and browser features, as well.
The first thing that sprang to mind was...why not update the NN-XT?
I'd guess because it's not an RE and also because an all new shiny thing is much easier to promote than a re-polished existing thing. But it is only a guess.

Creativemind

17 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
17 May 2021
wow, it's actually a bit unbelievable that with all the sequencer and workflow gripes over the last years they're STILL focused on the rack. still need to upgrade for the 4K stuff, but unless they're just keeping quiet on a bunch of other quality of life features, it's hard to keep believing them when they say they're committed to the core DAW experience. time will tell, but super underwhelming, based on this. 😔
I wouldn't call it underwhelming. A lot of work has gone into this and it sounds amazing. My only gripe is, I wish the NN-XT had been improved rather than add now a 3rd sampler. What is the point I'd like to know of having 3 samplers? I'd prefer 1 super powerful one.

We don't yet know what sequencer improvements there'll be. My only guess though is there'll be too few.
Last edited by Creativemind on 17 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

17 May 2021

Creativemind wrote:
17 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
17 May 2021
wow, it's actually a bit unbelievable that with all the sequencer and workflow gripes over the last years they're STILL focused on the rack. still need to upgrade for the 4K stuff, but unless they're just keeping quiet on a bunch of other quality of life features, it's hard to keep believing them when they say they're committed to the core DAW experience. time will tell, but super underwhelming, based on this. 😔
I wouldn't call it underwhelming. A lot of work has gone into this and it sounds amazing. My only gripe is, I wish the NN-XT had been improved rather than add now a 3rd sampler. What is the point I'd like to know of having 3 samplers? I'd prefer 1 super powerful one.

We don't yet know what sequencer improvements there'll be. My only guess though is there'll be to few.
I know they’ve put a lot of work into the hi res stuff—not minimizing that effort. and I still have hope there will be some good quality of life stuff included. I just find it questionable that their stated focus is still on the rack and devices.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bossa
Competition Winner

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Uhm ... so the new version of Reason:

And that’s it ...

≠ No sequencer updates
≠ No VST3
≠ No shortcuts
≠ No new themes
Yes, i need "shortcuts" and VST3 support!

Noise
Competition Winner

17 May 2021

Before I get into the hypetrain™, i just need this clarification: will the combinator be like a modular thing ?
You can build your own interface ? 🤞 :o
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Creativemind

17 May 2021

marcuswitt wrote:
17 May 2021
Applause, applause! The 1rst of September is not far from now.

The most two exciting features to me are the overhauled or even completely new Combinator and Hi Res graphics. But later then, in version 12.x, Track Groups and support of multitimbral instruments in the Sequencer are a must, in my opinion. Still, that seems to become a great upgrade. :thumbs_up:
Yes it is, it's longer than a whole season, almost 3 and a half months to be exact.

Just to clarify, if anyone at Reason Studio's can clarify, is there definitely not gonna be another point update with 11?

tiker01

17 May 2021

Creativemind wrote:
17 May 2021
marcuswitt wrote:
17 May 2021
Applause, applause! The 1rst of September is not far from now.

The most two exciting features to me are the overhauled or even completely new Combinator and Hi Res graphics. But later then, in version 12.x, Track Groups and support of multitimbral instruments in the Sequencer are a must, in my opinion. Still, that seems to become a great upgrade. :thumbs_up:
Yes it is, it's longer than a whole season, almost 3 and a half months to be exact.

Just to clarify, if anyone in the Reason Studio's can, is there definitely not gonna be another point update with 11?
I am not from RS. However, releasing the features of R12 to R+ users makes it pretty clear to me that there won't be more Reason 11.x versions. I can only see one exception that is making it compatible with some new features of R+.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Jackjackdaw

17 May 2021

VST 3 in a 11.x update would put a sock in a few mouths for a bit :lol:

btw. I think pre releasing features to subscribers before license holders can buy the upgrade is a crappy thing to do.
Last edited by Jackjackdaw on 17 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

17 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
17 May 2021
This is crap. Now we got less stuff to complain about :thumbs_down:
:lol:

pushedbutton

17 May 2021

I liked the bit about reason 12.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Creativemind

17 May 2021

Lotuz2019 wrote:
17 May 2021
The RRP still won't be able to load VST plugins? Just imagine how powerful the RRP would become, especially together with the new Combinator.
Oh yes, that would be the ducks nuts.

Rakun

17 May 2021

I hope we will be able to use more than 16 mono outs for VSTs..

Creativemind

17 May 2021

owlymane wrote:
17 May 2021
Heigen5 wrote:
17 May 2021

Out of curiosity: Could you could make a list of the sequencer's missing ideas then?
- There’s something in Ableton which I forgot the name, but basically it’s an option you tick to be able to play a midi note even if you play it in the middle, instead of having to stop and play it back from the start of the midi note to hear it.
Midi Chase it's called but in FL Studio it's called Truncated Notes.

EDIT - Sorry you already stated this in the thread after I'd commented and I can't delete this comment now, even though no-one has commented after it yet.

• Information