Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2675
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 17 Jun 2021

thefixr wrote:
17 Jun 2021
AnotherMathias wrote:
16 Jun 2021
So in my dream scenario each track (or maybe each mixer channel) would have its own rack, that you only see when editing that track (or channel), and then also one shared rack for the whole project, that behaves just like the rack does now.
At times I would dedicate a single rack column to each track or the devices that made up that track. Not the same thing as you are saying but certainly for the same purpose.
I've often thought of this but unless they come up with some kind of "wireless" CV, then I think you'd have issues with how interconnected devices on different channels are represented. One rack per channel is basically RRP I guess. But yeah having used Live I can attest to how nice it is to have racks per channel. If the Rack got MIDI in channel support then I guess we could do interesting cross-device modulation for specific instances (like, a Kong on channel 1, synth on channel 2, pad 1 gate out triggers an envelope on the synth) but that'd be quite a big change to the way MIDI works in Reason. And for most people it's probably a fringe case right?

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 1778
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Abajo del mar...

Post 17 Jun 2021

But 'my' idea of device containers that aren't Combis or Mix Channels could solv this problem.
You'd fold all the signal chains you're not using away, the cabling is just flapping around back there, you can move these device containers around (stack em, parallell, whatever) aAND they can contain Combis.

It's just a simple utility. Shouldn't even be that crazy to implement.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial

nebraskafire
Posts: 29
Joined: 10 Mar 2021

Post 17 Jun 2021

I would love to see and in and out like you have on midi tracks (where you can route an instrument before the inserts) in audio tracks so you can route a RE or a plugin the same way.

User avatar
SoundObjects
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Dec 2018

Post 17 Jun 2021

Any who knows what api r12 highres will use - openGL, DirectX, or vulkan ?
The Universe Is Vibrating

iTrensharo
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Jun 2021

Post 17 Jun 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
17 Jun 2021
Any who knows what api r12 highres will use - openGL, DirectX, or vulkan ?
Everything since Windows Vista that was developed for GUI work has been driven by DirectX - starting with Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). It would make little sense to use OpenGL for this. OpenGL in desktop applications is largely for games that must be cross platform or pro apps that use OpenGL for the rendering canvas (3D Modeling, CAD, etc.).

Vulkan is largely irrelevant.

Reason Studios is better off using native UI frameworks and rendering pipelines.

Metal on macOS. DirectX on Windows. And using the native APIs for things like scaling, etc. It just makes it easier - both for them and the end user. Because who wants their software to be the only one on the user's machine with scaling glitches/bugs?

User avatar
RoryM0
Posts: 352
Joined: 21 Jun 2017

Post 17 Jun 2021

I'm starting to feel the yearning for more official info on R12. Come on RS drop some sampler/combi info on us!

bak
Posts: 15
Joined: 03 May 2015

Post 17 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
17 Jun 2021
I'm starting to feel the yearning for more official info on R12. Come on RS drop some sampler/combi info on us!
Same

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7042
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 17 Jun 2021

bak wrote:
17 Jun 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
17 Jun 2021
I'm starting to feel the yearning for more official info on R12. Come on RS drop some sampler/combi info on us!
Same
Never gonna happen.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
RoryM0
Posts: 352
Joined: 21 Jun 2017

Post 17 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
17 Jun 2021
bak wrote:
17 Jun 2021


Same
Never gonna happen.
I mean, presumably information will be forthcoming at some point before September 1st....

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2485
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 17 Jun 2021

MrFigg wrote:
17 Jun 2021
bak wrote:
17 Jun 2021


Same
Never gonna happen.
I see constant negativity mainly from you.

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1702
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 17 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
17 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
17 Jun 2021


Never gonna happen.
I mean, presumably information will be forthcoming at some point before September 1st....
I guess the beta testers will be the first ones to see the new features, but unauthorized to comment on them. As for the others, they will see them in the announcement 2-3 weeks before the release.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 7042
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 17 Jun 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
17 Jun 2021
MrFigg wrote:
17 Jun 2021


Never gonna happen.
I mean, presumably information will be forthcoming at some point before September 1st....
Njä. Doubt it.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
SoundObjects
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Dec 2018

Post 18 Jun 2021

iTrensharo wrote:
17 Jun 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
17 Jun 2021
Any who knows what api r12 highres will use - openGL, DirectX, or vulkan ?
Everything since Windows Vista that was developed for GUI work has been driven by DirectX - starting with Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). It would make little sense to use OpenGL for this. OpenGL in desktop applications is largely for games that must be cross platform or pro apps that use OpenGL for the rendering canvas (3D Modeling, CAD, etc.).

Vulkan is largely irrelevant.

Reason Studios is better off using native UI frameworks and rendering pipelines.

Metal on macOS. DirectX on Windows. And using the native APIs for things like scaling, etc. It just makes it easier - both for them and the end user. Because who wants their software to be the only one on the user's machine with scaling glitches/bugs?

In case devs using latest DirectX 12 api - Reason 12 will only run on Windows10 for PC users.
it'll be interesting to see.
The Universe Is Vibrating

DaveyG
Posts: 1223
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 18 Jun 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021


In case devs using latest DirectX 12 api - Reason 12 will only run on Windows10 for PC users.
it'll be interesting to see.
If you are asking whether Reason 12 requires Windows 10 then the answer is yes.

viewtopic.php?p=555385#p555385

User avatar
SoundObjects
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Dec 2018

Post 18 Jun 2021

DaveyG wrote:
18 Jun 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021


In case devs using latest DirectX 12 api - Reason 12 will only run on Windows10 for PC users.
it'll be interesting to see.
If you are asking whether Reason 12 requires Windows 10 then the answer is yes.

viewtopic.php?p=555385#p555385
Thanks for info.
Happy I migrated my daw last year to Windows10 :P
Though I still prefer Win 7.
The Universe Is Vibrating

slic
Posts: 124
Joined: 01 Jun 2021

Post 18 Jun 2021

Windows 11 is just about to be announced, strap in!
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/2253 ... start-menu

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2485
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 18 Jun 2021

slic wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Windows 11 is just about to be announced, strap in!
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/2253 ... start-menu
They changed their minds, then, about the whole "Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows"...

User avatar
challism
Moderator
Posts: 3049
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Fanboy Shill

Post 18 Jun 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021
DaveyG wrote:
18 Jun 2021


If you are asking whether Reason 12 requires Windows 10 then the answer is yes.

viewtopic.php?p=555385#p555385
Thanks for info.
Happy I migrated my daw last year to Windows10 :P
Though I still prefer Win 7.
I prefer Windows 7, too. I don't like 10 at all. Truth be told, I was happy with Windows XP and would gladly go back to that, if I could. The only reason I updated from XP was so I could get a 64bit version to run Reason 7.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

User avatar
SoundObjects
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Dec 2018

Post 18 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
18 Jun 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021


Thanks for info.
Happy I migrated my daw last year to Windows10 :P
Though I still prefer Win 7.
I prefer Windows 7, too. I don't like 10 at all. Truth be told, I was happy with Windows XP and would gladly go back to that, if I could. The only reason I updated from XP was so I could get a 64bit version to run Reason 7.
Yes - we are forced more and more by dev teams to use their way to think.
I was lured by faster hardware and drivers that didn't run nice on Win7.
The Universe Is Vibrating

iTrensharo
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Jun 2021

Post 18 Jun 2021

challism wrote:
18 Jun 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
18 Jun 2021


Thanks for info.
Happy I migrated my daw last year to Windows10 :P
Though I still prefer Win 7.
I prefer Windows 7, too. I don't like 10 at all. Truth be told, I was happy with Windows XP and would gladly go back to that, if I could. The only reason I updated from XP was so I could get a 64bit version to run Reason 7.
I went to Windows 10 immediately on release and haven't regretted it at all. I also moved to 8 on release, and that one was annoying only due to the start screen. But both of those perform better than Windows 7 and XP, and Windows 10 is less bloated as well. Microsoft has been removing a lot of unnecessary components out of the OS, which is why some major updates actually cede storage space back to the user.

Windows 11 (if they even call it that) will just be an updated Windows 10, the same way 98 was to 95 and Windows 7 was to Vista.

That's ignoring all of the QoL improvements in Windows 10, like improvements to power management, scheduling, and vastly "superior out of the box" media CODEC/format support when compared to both 7 and (esp.) XP (AAC, FLAC, H.265/HEIC, VC1, Native QT Container Support, etc.). I'd actually say that Media Professionals probably got a bigger boost moving to Windows 10 over productivity workers...

I won't miss the overwrought transparency and fat window borders from Windows 7, or XP's Fischer Price look.

As far as support for modern hardware goes... The driver models in Windows XP are ancient compared even to Windows Vista. Vista's poor uptake really allowed XP to linger on far past its sell by date. It needed to die in 2006, but unfortunately the budget machines dominating PC sales simply were not ready for Vista. I upgraded from Vista to 7 on the same machine and it really didn't improve performance in any measurable way. I actually preferred Vista's darker theme and Taskbar to Windows 7 - which sort of walked the aesthetics back in the direction of cheesy.Start Screen was a no-go.
Last edited by iTrensharo on 18 Jun 2021, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1702
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jun 2021

Yes it's true that Win10 is slightly less resource hungry than Win7.

I hate two things about Windows 10:
1) Automatic updates that I am not allowed to control. I could put up with it, but at some point it broke down, and now my PC is trying to download the regular update every night and failing each time, and it's been that way for 6 months.
2) Some idiot at Microsoft GUI dept decided that it would be a great idea to have a uniform UI throughout all platforms, mouse-driven desktops or touchscreen handhelds. Those "Universal Applications" are ugly. As example, the Calculator app that I have to unfold to the entire FullHD display to get access to all the features.

iTrensharo
Posts: 3
Joined: 17 Jun 2021

Post 18 Jun 2021

orthodox wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Yes it's true that Win10 is slightly less resource hungry than Win7.

I hate two things about Windows 10:
1) Automatic updates that I am not allowed to control. I could put up with it, but at some point it broke down, and now my PC is trying to download the regular update every night and failing each time, and it's been that way for 6 months.
You can control the updates. Upgrade to Windows Pro an defer up to 18 months. I'm pretty sure Microsoft backported some control to Home in a past major update, as well, though you cannot defer nearly as long as with Windows 10 Professional.

18 months is longer than the release cycle of many DAWs, and DAW developers will obviously test against the latest revision of the OS at the time of development or (preferably) release. So, that's beyond safe, to the point of non-factor ;-)
2) Some idiot at Microsoft GUI dept decided that it would be a great idea to have a uniform UI throughout all platforms, mouse-driven desktops or touchscreen handhelds. Those "Universal Applications" are ugly. As example, the Calculator app that I have to unfold to the entire FullHD display to get access to all the features.
Most Windows Desktop apps are Win32 Apps that look no different than they do on XP, Vista, or 7. The Tablet stuff has always been a layer on top of the OS, and really is only relevant for universal apps means to run on both Desktops and Tablets, or machines with Touch.

Traditional Win32 Custom Controls are badly designed for Touch.

Besides, Apple has done the same thing... That's the normal evolution of these operating platforms.

The one change that I do hate, and most people miss this for some reason, is that you can no longer RDC into your desktop unless you upgrade to Windows Pro. This was an XP Home Edition feature. That's the one downgrade off of XP that I have noticed, cause I used to use this a lot esp. when I was in college. You could argue that the proliferation of cloud storage and services has rendered this largely obsolete, though.

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1702
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 18 Jun 2021

iTrensharo wrote:
18 Jun 2021
You can control the updates. Upgrade to Windows Pro an defer up to 18 months. I'm pretty sure Microsoft backported some control to Home in a past major update, as well, though you cannot defer nearly as long as with Windows 10 Professional.
Already Pro, and I've had the option to defer it before it broke on some update. Now it's not offering the defer button anymore until that failing update is installed. Looking forward to having a long vacation, when I have a chance to reinstall it. Or I'll wait until Windows 11.
iTrensharo wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Most Windows Desktop apps are Win32 Apps that look no different than they do on XP, Vista, or 7. The Tablet stuff has always been a layer on top of the OS, and really is only relevant for universal apps means to run on both Desktops and Tablets, or machines with Touch.

Traditional Win32 Custom Controls are badly designed for Touch.

Besides, Apple has done the same thing... That's the normal evolution of these operating platforms.
It's not normal in any way that my desktop workflow gets worse in favor of some "Touch" that I'm never going to use.

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1605
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 18 Jun 2021

Windows Timeline:
Win3.11 OK
Win95 Crap
Win98 OK
WinME Crap
WinXP OK
WinVista Crap
Win7 OK
Win8 Crap
Win10 OKish

So following the pattern. I'm not at all excited for Win11.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 7277
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Useless Moderator

Post 18 Jun 2021

jam-s wrote:
18 Jun 2021
Windows Timeline:
Win3.11 OK
Win95 Crap
Win98 OK
WinME Crap
WinXP OK
WinVista Crap
Win7 OK
Win8 Crap
Win10 OKish

So following the pattern. I'm not at all excited for Win11.
That's almost like the Paramount-era Star Trek movies as well! :lol:
Win 10 | Reason 12 |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], dstoliker, gphg and 11 guests