Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

25 May 2021

Mike B wrote:
25 May 2021
sdst wrote:
25 May 2021
you can't imagine the power of Reaper, it's like 20 years ahead of the others
Would you mind saying what makes it so advanced ? I genuinely want to know because I’ve never used Reaper but hear bits and pieces of how much it’s versatile.
It's a gross exaggeration, IMHO. Reaper does have some pretty awesome features, but it's super convoluted and not very inspiring, IMHO. I've had a love/hate relationship with it for 15 years, though I've still - after 15 years of messing with it - never felt compelled to actually buy a full license (pro tip: you can use it for free forever, as the "free trial" nag screen is easy to wait out). It's super light weight on resources, as it doesn't come with any compelling built-in content or show stopping plugins. That said, taking your Reason Rack to it via RRP is super easy. Just download the trial and have a mess about. There's tons of "how to's" on YouTube if you want to learn your way around it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sdst
Competition Winner

25 May 2021

EnochLight wrote:
25 May 2021
It's a gross exaggeration, IMHO. Reaper does have some pretty awesome features, but it's super convoluted and not very inspiring,
I am not exaggerating, the things that people dream in Reason are in Reaper

but I have to say that I like them both, Reason has instruments

if you don't like it, is another thing

EnochLight

25 May 2021

sdst wrote:
25 May 2021

but I have to say that I like them both, Reason has instruments

if you don't like it, is another thing
To be fair, things that people dream in Reason are in virtually every other DAW on the planet, and often present it much better than Reaper. But I understand Reaper's appeal - like I said - been messing with it for 15 years. :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG

26 May 2021

That very thing that some people love about Reaper is the same thing that puts me off. Being able to customize and tailor everything to your exact needs sounds great but it takes time, effort and knowledge and you probably never quite get to where you want to be. When people are raving about customizing Reaper you often get the caveat of "... once you know what you are doing" or "...it does take a bit of trial and error".

I just want someone cleverer than me to have made most of the key decisions and to have put some effort into making sure the user experience is consistent across the program. They don't always get it right and, yeah, we complain about that, but that doesn't mean I want to spend the time trying to make it better. Sometimes less choice is better.

Noplan
Competition Winner

26 May 2021

Then why not just use Reaper?

sdst
Competition Winner

26 May 2021

Noplan wrote:
26 May 2021
Then why not just use Reaper?
i use it and Reason

is the best combination

Ad0

26 May 2021

avasopht wrote:
25 May 2021
That's pretty incredible!
That's not all! I managed to add hardware insert between effects within the rack. Like this:

DaveyG

27 May 2021

The first Beta for R12 is on the Beta site.

dezma

27 May 2021

Maybe the location missing files will be able to scan more than 5 files per hour now

EdGrip

27 May 2021

Maybe it'll just let us drop long .wavs into the sequencer without taking three days analysing them when we haven't asked it to. You don't need to analyse it, Reason. It's an interview from YouTube. I don't need you to find the transients.

EnochLight

27 May 2021

dezma wrote:
27 May 2021
Maybe the location missing files will be able to scan more than 5 files per hour now
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I’ve been complaining about Reason’s anemic search for almost 20 years. Really glad they’re getting around to fixing it.

plaamook

27 May 2021

EdGrip wrote:
27 May 2021
Maybe it'll just let us drop long .wavs into the sequencer without taking three days analysing them when we haven't asked it to. You don't need to analyse it, Reason. It's an interview from YouTube. I don't need you to find the transients.
Yeah, that one gets me down. I'd love a tick option there. I rarely slice wav's in Reason. Occasionally stretch them.
Anyone get the 'waiting for audio analysis to complete' when bouncing edits? I haven't gotten my head around that one either.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

chaosroyale

27 May 2021

yeah in my dreams someone on the Dev team takes a few minutes to think about all the little quality of life options that would smooth out the pain-in-the-ass things that can make Reason less pleasant to use (*if they actually use Reason, which I am really starting to doubt).

Default Timestretch: on/off would be great for me too.

plaamook wrote:
27 May 2021
EdGrip wrote:
27 May 2021
Yeah, that one gets me down. I'd love a tick option there. I rarely slice wav's in Reason. Occasionally stretch them.
Anyone get the 'waiting for audio analysis to complete' when bouncing edits? I haven't gotten my head around that one either.

ab459

30 May 2021

Bump for Midi plug's support (but who care)

cmstrike

30 May 2021

tc13 wrote:
25 May 2021
Reaper is really hell on earth. I have tried it so many times, even with skins it still look ugly as f! You spend more time fiddling with the program itself than actually doing anything musical with it. In a way it is like Linux, can do so many things but you have to spend so much time getting there.
Everyone's experience is different, but I feel that this sentiment is overblown in general. It does take time to learn the program and set things up to your liking, but no, it doesn't have to be this endless rabbit hole of endless customization and tweaking. You can download Reaper and start working with it out of the box, maybe set up some keyboard shortcuts and change a few toolbar buttons. If you know exactly what you want, you can go a lot deeper into it.

I switched over to Reaper from Adobe Audition for my day job and not only was the transition painless, I actually improved my workflow and speed and I'm way happier than I ever was using Audition. A huge advantage with Reaper is that Kenny Gioia makes the most helpful tutorials I've ever seen. A little bit of time spent watching tutorials, customizing shortcuts, menus, and actions saved me so many more working hours over the past year and change. But I do understand that that upfront time investment is a barrier for some people who just want to jump right in.

I'm getting to the point where if I had to stop using Reason, I'd pretty seamlessly be able to jump over to Reaper for music production. Just my experience, but I've used Reason for 15 years and the only other program I've felt totally comfortable even trying out for music production has been Reaper. I bought Studio One a few years ago and actually felt more overwhelmed and put off by it than I did when I first started using Reaper.

fullforce

30 May 2021

selig wrote:
25 May 2021
avasopht wrote:
25 May 2021
It's got a menu item for everything, even procrastination, which has 11 million options to help you decide how to not finish your songs 🤣
IF not, you've just nailed the next April Fools Day RE: The Procrastinator.Now with over 11 million ways to help you decide how to not finish your songs! Available some time later…
This needs to be real. Set procrastination to 1/2/4/8 years.

Years/lightyears/kessel run
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

groggy1

30 May 2021

GAS == The Procrastinator v2

slic

01 Jun 2021

So- first post on this forum after being a Reason user from the beginning (ReBirth!) up to version 6, then I switched to other new shiny stuff and forgot all about Reason...
I had looked at demos again a few times, especially when they introduced Rack (I had 11 Lite) but as I am on 4K I just found it a bit fiddley.
Suffice to say the 12 announcement and the 30% off sale took me from 11 Lite to 11 Studio, so I am back and eagerly awaiting 12! Perhaps I am exactly the 'ex' or new user Reason Studios are looking to attract!

Suffice to say I am utterly blown away by the improvements since V6!! I had read a lot of posts on other forums about the 'DAW' side of Reason being neglected, but it is far, far better than I was expecting....you guys have been spoilt! Bitwig (one of my faveroute DAWS) only just got comping and we dream of pitch editing/correction! Reason's DAW is actually perfect for me as a guitarist (someone on the Reason team must play, it seems designed that way!) although I would probably still hit Studio One if I was recording a full band, but that maybe just familiarity.

Anyway- hello preamble over, I am signed up and waiting to try the beat for 12- does the current beta just have the high resolution feature, or does it also include other advertised features like the new combiner and sampler?

EnochLight

01 Jun 2021

slic wrote:
01 Jun 2021
So- first post on this forum after being a Reason user from the beginning
Welcome back, slic! This place tends to be a lot more receptive to Reason users compared to KVR. Looking forward to having you around here! :clap: :thumbup:

slic

01 Jun 2021

EnochLight wrote:
01 Jun 2021
slic wrote:
01 Jun 2021
So- first post on this forum after being a Reason user from the beginning
Welcome back, slic! This place tends to be a lot more receptive to Reason users compared to KVR. Looking forward to having you around here! :clap: :thumbup:
Thanks! Can't believe I have been away this long! I notice we share some hardware in common, just got me XD last week (late to that party as well!) great little synth, already used the 'players' on it!
I am wondering if with the new combiner being fully customisable if we will be able to make controls and skins that mimic the hardware and control, it via midi?

Yonatan

01 Jun 2021

My humble guess is that there will be life before and after Hi resolution. But have only seen screen shots yet, will know when I get to test it for real.

devilfish

01 Jun 2021

will R12 native Apple Silicon (M1) ??

nicedevill

01 Jun 2021

Hopefully, the sequencer will get some love. It's long overdue.

helmutson

02 Jun 2021

devilfish wrote:
01 Jun 2021
will R12 native Apple Silicon (M1) ??
That would be great, but I don't think so ... maybe later this year !?

slic

02 Jun 2021

nicedevill wrote:
01 Jun 2021
Hopefully, the sequencer will get some love. It's long overdue.
What features are you actually hoping for, having recently come to R11 I was quite amazed by how feature rich the sequencer was!

• Information