Reason 12 is coming!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kilsane

18 May 2021

In my opinion, they haven't announced all the news (although I could be wrong), Reason 12 is coming out in a little over three months, it is possible that they will release information on a regular basis to maintain some sort of buzz until reason exits.
for the workflow they had already said that they were working on some improvements and I think (I could still be wrong) that they will be announced soon after they present us the new sampler and the new combinator.

This is only my opinion and I could be wrong

Aquila

18 May 2021

Aquila wrote:
18 May 2021
I really, REALLY don't want to be a moaner...etc
Oh and FWIW, since I skipped v11 I'll probably end up upgrading this time round. However, I am struggling to foresee any good reason to upgrade further if this trend continues, so it could well be the last thing I buy from RS and just end up dragging the rack into another DAW.

plaamook

18 May 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
18 May 2021
Honestly, I would be happy with a couple of really small things, like if the sequencer was able to zoom out to the whole track, because of course it should
Yeah no kidding eh.
My No1 gripe at this point.
Shameful. Really really unbelievable.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

madmacman

18 May 2021

Aquila wrote:
18 May 2021
I am quite bewildered why they felt the need to include a new sampler. Before vst support that would've made sense but since we can now run whatever vst2 plugin we want that ship has long sailed.
It‘s more of a guess, but maybe they want to compete with „quick“ sample tools like the new sampler in Apple Logic (since 10.5) or the sampler track in Cubase (since 9.5). But who knows?

Heigen5

18 May 2021

I think the opposite, all the features that are the long-timers, should be added NOW more than the new ones. It seems that some users don't appreciate the Reason way as much of as the other do. C'mon this upgrade is a Gold!

Billy+

18 May 2021

Maybe the V12 features that got a mention are the ones RS are more proud of completing and exciting to them things like a new device and CMB2 that are only available in Reason whereas VST3 VST-MIDI are things that everyone already takes as standard in other DAW's just aren't worth talking about as it doesn't warrant any interest for users outside of Reason Standalone....

Aquila

18 May 2021

Billy+ wrote:
18 May 2021
Maybe the V12 features that got a mention are the ones RS are more proud of completing
it's a small glimmer of hope that there might be more interesting features announced later, but I won't hold my breath any time soon

Social Exodus

18 May 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
17 May 2021
plaamook wrote:
17 May 2021

Might be the end of point updates for perpetual license holders.
Instead of 11.x you roll out a kind of pre-12 to incentivise subscriptions.
Just a guess.
This is what Corel do with their graphics software and it sucks. I know it's all just speculation but these are all the real reasons why sub services suck. Because at the end of the day they are there to exploit users for more money and so they will play dirty to get you on board.
One of the reasons (no pun intended) I went with Corel Paint Shop Pro was because of Adobe's subscription only offering. I am no fan of subscriptions at all. It feels like micro purchases in video games to me -- a way to suck money out of folks. But to be fair, I merely dabble in this stuff as opposed to making my living with it so for folks who do that it makes more sense.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Billy+

18 May 2021

Aquila wrote:
18 May 2021
Billy+ wrote:
18 May 2021
Maybe the V12 features that got a mention are the ones RS are more proud of completing
it's a small glimmer of hope that there might be more interesting features announced later, but I won't hold my breath any time soon
I'm not looking for interesting features I'm looking for standards that are in every other DAW. 1 feature would have me doing leaps of joy and I've been waiting since version 9.5.

Finish the VST implementation and let me use VST MIDI devices like all the other DAW's do, I would upgrade just for that without it it's pointless as I can already use RRP in other DAW's that do work fully.

Creativemind

18 May 2021

guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021
Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2021

Because they seem to spend all their time making new devices and not updating the daw as I said. Milking it springs to mind.
how would giving devices to non-subscribers be milking it?
Well it seems they trickle out the features or half arse them when implemented so if they're not gonna crack on and bring the daw itself up to speed then it says to me, they see it as a rack / instrument software and Friktion and Algoritm should've been included in 11 point updates and not asking already on 11 paid customers to fork out even more money.

I do think Reason 12 is gonna be fantastic though and some great requested workflow features will be included.
Last edited by Creativemind on 18 May 2021, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

guitfnky

18 May 2021

Billy+ wrote:
18 May 2021
Aquila wrote:
18 May 2021

I'm not looking for interesting features I'm looking for standards that are in every other DAW. 1 feature would have me doing leaps of joy and I've been waiting since version 9.5.

Finish the VST implementation and let me use VST MIDI devices like all the other DAW's do, I would upgrade just for that without it it's pointless as I can already use RRP in other DAW's that do work fully.
100%. VST MIDI out, for me, and VST3 doesn’t impact me that much, but it’s long past due.

seriously, I would be over the moon if they just added some goddamn markers, auto punch, and track folders. simple stuff.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Aquila

18 May 2021

Billy+ wrote:
18 May 2021
I'm not looking for interesting features I'm looking for standards that are in every other DAW.
For Reason users, those ARE interesting features :lol:

guitfnky

18 May 2021

Aquila wrote:
18 May 2021
Billy+ wrote:
18 May 2021
I'm not looking for interesting features I'm looking for standards that are in every other DAW.
For Reason users, those ARE interesting features :lol:
someone should tell Reason Studios that 😆
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

gbuck

18 May 2021

It's hard to understand their 'reasoning'. If they would add all those wanted/needed sequencer features to version 12, it would sellout all their virtual copies in one day!

Noplan
Competition Winner

18 May 2021

gbuck wrote:
18 May 2021
It's hard to understand their 'reasoning'. If they would add all those wanted/needed sequencer features to version 12, it would sellout all their virtual copies in one day!
No, if they touch the sequencer, then the real complaints will start. Believe me, I know you guys.

Social Exodus

18 May 2021

Serious question: In my job as a Data Engineer, I use many, many tools to accomplish an end product. Some work well for this, others for that and still others are special purpose software designed for specific tasks. Is this not really possible in Music Production, or do most people in that field prefer to "camp" in a specific tool?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

Stamatz

18 May 2021

EdGrip wrote:
18 May 2021
Stamatz wrote:
18 May 2021
Will R12 includes such instruments as Friktion and Alogrithm?
Not unless you're a subscriber.
Are you just guessing? I would think it would as all of the Reason rack extentions came with Reason. For example, Complex-1 was launched between 10 and 11 I think not added to 10 but then included with R11 Suite.

I would hate to buy Alogrithm for example only to find out it comes with R12, if anyone know the answer let me know, thanks.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 May 2021

EnochLight wrote:
18 May 2021
joeyluck wrote:
18 May 2021
I too would like to see sequencer updates and most of all, MPE support.
I have to admit, MPE support didn't interest me one bit... until LUMI keys came out. I am absolutely dying to get a set of those, but won't waste my money if I can't have MPE support in Reason. Here's to hoping, but judging from what we've seen in 10, 11, and now 12 - we don't have a snowball's chance in hell of every seeing MPE.
Honestly, you're not missing anything with LUMI Keys. I had one of the original Kickstarter units, and (after many months of delay), received one where one key caused another key to stay pressed. Roli replaced it under warranty... eventually. In a glacial, three-month-long email thread where I would often go weeks without a response from support, I finally got a new unit, the retail version, and... the sharp/flat keys only work half the time. Even if they did work properly, the poly aftertouch across the keybed is atrociously inconsistent, with the keys on the ends going to 100% pressure on a normal strike, and keys in the middle requiring a hefty push.

At some point, I'll try my luck with Roli support again, but I'm not looking forward to it, and I doubt I'll ever get one that's nearly as reliable as my Korg NanoKey 2.
EnochLight wrote:
18 May 2021
Yeah, admittedly this does have me a bit excited. Didn't expect the being able to load your own graphics part (which I really hope is more than just the crappy skin feature we have in the current Combi). It's going to need to be fancy to handle all of the customization options they allegedly have planned, anyway.
My guess is it will just be the same old skin feature, but with a subset of the RE2D stock library of knobs and faders that most RE developers use. So you'll load a background image, then place a variety of different controls on top of it, probably snapped to a grid.

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 May 2021

Stamatz wrote:
18 May 2021
EdGrip wrote:
18 May 2021

Are you just guessing? I would think it would as all of the Reason rack extentions came with Reason. For example, Complex-1 was launched between 10 and 11 I think not added to 10 but then included with R11 Suite.

I would hate to buy Alogrithm for example only to find out it comes with R12, if anyone know the answer let me know, thanks.
Bundling REs with Reason was a one-time thing with Reason 11 Suite. Reason Studios has confirmed that Suite was an experiment, and there will be no Reason 12 Suite.

The only exception to this will likely be particularly old REs such as Radical Piano, which went from add-on to bundled with the standard version of Reason. So Algoritm might eventually be bundled with Reason, say, eight years from now, but definitely not earlier than that.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 May 2021

My money is on a major sequencer improvement but ...

If it stays the same I'd love them to make a big deal about it.

Sexy voiceover: "We've done a lot of research on what you want us to do for you. And we've taken special attention to your sequencer needs, and we've decided that since you've loved it for 15 years, in Reason 12 we will keep giving you the same sequencer you've come to love."

strange_scenery

18 May 2021

Stamatz wrote:
18 May 2021
EdGrip wrote:
18 May 2021

I believe in the Reason+ announcement thread Mattias himself said that bundling prior Rack Extensions into Reason releases was a mistake and they've learned from it, meaning that from now on the only way to get a paid RE is to buy it or get it through Reason+, but it will never be included in a future version of Reason.

jam-s

18 May 2021

With the updated combinator Reason moves a little closer to Reaktor and might manage to get some of its turf.

jlgrimes

18 May 2021

Kilsane wrote:
18 May 2021
In my opinion, they haven't announced all the news (although I could be wrong), Reason 12 is coming out in a little over three months, it is possible that they will release information on a regular basis to maintain some sort of buzz until reason exits.
for the workflow they had already said that they were working on some improvements and I think (I could still be wrong) that they will be announced soon after they present us the new sampler and the new combinator.

This is only my opinion and I could be wrong
Historically though whatever main features they announce are the highlights and the small ones are pretty small.

That said all three features Combinator, Graphics, and Sampler are features that are dearly needed. Their last few updates weren't really catered to a wide base.

All three of these seems like stuff that a wide range of users would enjoy.

Seems like their least controversial update in awhile. It all comes down to how well they are implemented.

challism

18 May 2021

strange_scenery wrote:
18 May 2021
sdst wrote:
18 May 2021
hope the new combinator has tons of cv inputs

with the current 4 inputs you can only do simple things
In the blog post they mention more CV inputs, so while we don't know the exact amount there should be more than 4.
Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2021
guitfnky wrote:
18 May 2021
I've heard there will be a 25% increase in the number of CV ins in the new combi. the jump from 4 to 5 is statistically significant. 🤓
There's 8 CV ins.

2 in the Sequencer Control section, the 4 rotary's and 1 each for the Mod Wheels and Pitch Bend. If it is a 25% increase, that's 8 to 10 lol!
Click the "show programmer" button. There are 4 more CV ins hiding down there.
8.JPG
8.JPG (59.44 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DJMaytag

18 May 2021

Catblack wrote:
17 May 2021
I think I might upgrade.

That's a pretty big thing to say. I've been spending all my money on eurorack modules (doing diy and building lots) and now I've got so many I have a surplus. But I've been reviewing a lot of my old Reason song files when I hooked my backup hard drive up to archive the last two years and now I'm craving reintegrating Reason with my modular.

Reason 11 was never worth it for me. I still wish the sequencer was beefed up more than the rack. I've got 20 years of refills and combinators. I've almost 400 rack extensions. I don't need more sounds in the rack. But hi-rez and zoomable would be nice as my eyes have gotten old.
Get integrated with some Expert Sleepers stuff: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1503532

I've got all this working quite nicely with their Silent Way plugins in a Combinator I can drop into any project I'm working on. Just route the audio out of the Combinator to the hardware outputs on my interface, and it's ready to roll.
Catblack wrote:
17 May 2021
Ideally, this advice would be heeded in Reason12. TLDR: It's a suggestion to have a popup window that displays your remotable items which would show you on screen what your midi device's knobs were controlling with whatever had focus. A bit like Novation's Automap does. I'd looked into Automap's Remote interface about 3 years ago and worked out how to make something similar in function for a variety of controllers, but I'd decided that it was too much trouble to code. (Plus I'd just had another kid, so very busy with life.)

:SNIP:
TBH, I'm so integrated with hardware now, that I don'y really care that much about having a bunch of tactile controls for everything in Reason anymore. I have a Behringer X-Touch to manage the SSL controls, but I'm trying to use only minimal amounts of instrument plugins now. Maybe some better compatibility will come in R12 or beyond, but it's not something I'm sweating a whole lot right now.

• Information