How powerful are reason's stock synths?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JoaquinViggo
Posts: 1
Joined: 04 May 2021

Post 04 May 2021

I'm torn between FL studio and reason 10. FL studio's price plan and larger userbase (hence greater support infrastructure) has me tempted. However, reason's stock synths appear far more powerful that FL's. Could a more experienced producer than I verify this? Its an important factor for me as I can't financially justify buying FL + a few synths.

(I also prefer reason's workflow btw).

Thanks in advance for your help (:

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2687
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 May 2021

Haven’t used FL in years, but I can almost guarantee most users are not using stock synths. That’s rarely the case in any DAW. If you prefer Reason’s workflow I’d recommend sticking with it. That’s ultimately what’s most important. The only reason you should ever switch or add another DAW is if the workflow is better for you in general or for certain tasks.

I would however recommend upgrading Reason either now or when 12 eventually comes out (likely this year) and in the future, should you decide to switch to another DAW, you can take your Reason synths with you.

CrunkNationEnt
Posts: 170
Joined: 28 Apr 2015

Post 04 May 2021

JV, Power in my eyes as, far as music production, is being able to get from start to finish with the least resistance.
Being able to get the sounds, devices, and workflow that motivate you to start and complete tracks is power as well imo.
I have both and I like FL but I use more bc its neatly arranged and more linear, how I prefer to produce.
- Reason has a lot of shortcoming, that I think at this point will never be addressed.
I just prefer to stop complaining about it, so I use Reason in Cubase (rewire then, now plugin)
- FL addresses concerns of users, free updates, and crazy user base.
SO, If you prefer pattern based and can afford to, get FL and all its functionality, and use reason as a plugin.
Hope this helps. Best of luck!

User avatar
R303
Posts: 32
Joined: 15 Feb 2021

Post 04 May 2021

Well, I think that's not the right place here :puf_smile:
With FL, I'd say that it includes buying VSTs. I've never seen a video of a professional producer without third-party plugins. Everything else is just an interim solution. But you've more tutorials, much wider productions perspectives and perhaps the right 'momentum'.

With Reason, the follow-up costs of the basic software are higher. You definitely need knowledge of the devices. I think the stretch algorithm is better. Reason+ is the hidden sniper who may only have rubber bullets. And better stock instruments? Yeah, in a Reason forum of course.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8831
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 04 May 2021

QVprod wrote:
04 May 2021
Haven’t used FL in years, but I can almost guarantee most users are not using stock synths. That’s rarely the case in any DAW. If you prefer Reason’s workflow I’d recommend sticking with it. That’s ultimately what’s most important. The only reason you should ever switch or add another DAW is if the workflow is better for you in general or for certain tasks.

I would however recommend upgrading Reason either now or when 12 eventually comes out (likely this year) and in the future, should you decide to switch to another DAW, you can take your Reason synths with you.
Well, i use the stock synths, samples, fx in Reason quite a lot and i also have a gazillion VSTs.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2580
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 04 May 2021

I really like Reason's stock instruments! I think a lot of people's impressions of them may be based around the UIs, which essentially haven't changed since version 1 (at least in the case of Subtractor, Redrum, NN19, etc.). I think the upcoming high res update will have a big impact psychologically on how people feel when they use the instruments.

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 936
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 04 May 2021

If synths are your priority, and you already prefer Reason's workflow, there’s no question, really. Remember, Reason began as a synth package which only later added DAW features, while FL studio began as a DAW that later added synth features.
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2687
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 May 2021

Loque wrote:
04 May 2021
QVprod wrote:
04 May 2021
Haven’t used FL in years, but I can almost guarantee most users are not using stock synths. That’s rarely the case in any DAW. If you prefer Reason’s workflow I’d recommend sticking with it. That’s ultimately what’s most important. The only reason you should ever switch or add another DAW is if the workflow is better for you in general or for certain tasks.

I would however recommend upgrading Reason either now or when 12 eventually comes out (likely this year) and in the future, should you decide to switch to another DAW, you can take your Reason synths with you.
Well, i use the stock synths, samples, fx in Reason quite a lot and i also have a gazillion VSTs.
Exactly! To clarify, not solely using the stock stuff.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3973
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 04 May 2021

There are some great synths in FL Studio, Poizone, 3xOsc, Harmour and indeed Flex which is more a rompler but it does sound very big straight out the box.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.25 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1463
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 04 May 2021

"How powerful are reason's stock synths?"

Say goodbye to your hair...if you have any.

Image
R11 Suite

My music made in Reason : https://audius.co/jeff40529158

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 1009
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 04 May 2021

JoaquinViggo wrote:
04 May 2021
However, reason's stock synths appear far more powerful that FL's. Could a more experienced producer than I verify this?
The Reason stock synths can be both good and bad, just like all the FL Studio synths can also be both good and bad. I agree that the main factor to choose a DAW would be the workflow and the feel to it. As Reason supports VST and REs you can get any sound into it, - thus it doesn't matter which you use in that manner.

User avatar
kuhliloach
Posts: 818
Joined: 09 Dec 2015

Post 04 May 2021

The power of the synths in both is based on the user's skills not the synths, as it applies to making music and most everyday purposes. This should not be what swings the decision in my opinion. I would select the DAW that has the look and feel you like most--the one in which you feel most comfortable.

ortxedys
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 Nov 2018

Post 04 May 2021

Imo Reasons synths are more "user friendly" than FL's. I love FL and I think it's great value. But to dive deep into it, you're going to need some experience. I would say get both. Subscribe to R+ and use it in FL. (Assuming you're going for producer edition)

But if you're only doing one, Reason will get you further. It's a little more well rounded (sound wise) stock than FL is.

chaosroyale
Posts: 628
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 04 May 2021

Neither FL nor Reason's synths are especially "powerful" by modern standards, but that's a red herring.

Lots of new users get caught up in thinking "specs" are the be-all-and-end-all, but as some other posters have pointed out, getting "power" out of your tools is all about getting to the result you want as quickly and smoothly as possible. This is why the king of "powerful" sound creation is workflow, workflow, workflow, and why so many of us complain about the need to upgrade the workflow in Reason.

If you really want a "state-of-the-art" synth, you can get one FOR FREE by downloading the official free version of "Vital". It is way more than enough synth for any new user who wants the most modern and up to date thing available. Whether you go with FL or Reason, you would do well to pick it up. But music is more than just "a powerful synth".

Whichever DAW you get the most work done in, is the most powerful one for you. That sounds like a wishy-washy bit of advice, but I am serious. If it takes you 5 minutes to program a synth, do your EQ and effects, and get making basslines in DAW "A", but the same thing takes you 1 hour to get to the same level in DAW "B", then it doesn't matter that DAW "B" has a synth that can go up to 100 unison parts, because you never get any benefit from it.

DaveyG
Posts: 835
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 04 May 2021

JoaquinViggo wrote:
04 May 2021
I'm torn between FL studio and reason 10. FL studio's price plan and larger userbase (hence greater support infrastructure) has me tempted. However, reason's stock synths appear far more powerful that FL's. Could a more experienced producer than I verify this? Its an important factor for me as I can't financially justify buying FL + a few synths.

(I also prefer reason's workflow btw).

Thanks in advance for your help (:
It depends which tier of FL Studio you go for. The basic synths are capable of great sounds but are perhaps a little uninspiring. But the newer, bigger synths are more than a match for anything in Reason and hold their own against some of the big name VSTs too. Harmor is one that stands out but it is only in the highest tier of FL Studio, although can be added to lower tiers for a fee.

FL Studio has an unlimited-time demo which features all the synths and effects so with that and with the Reason 30 day trial you have all the tools to make an informed choice. FL Studio can also act as a VST Plugin so you could can run it inside Reason or run Reason inside it. Or, if you are crazy, you could run Reason inside of FL Studio Inside of another DAW.

If you are into EDM then I think FL Studio is Reason's closest competitor and FL Studio is a name that crops up in interviews with many of the current chart topping producers.

Marc64
Posts: 601
Joined: 24 Jan 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 04 May 2021

To get great sounds out of even the most basic of synth is about knowledge...

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1508
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 04 May 2021

JoaquinViggo wrote:
04 May 2021
I'm torn between FL studio and reason 10. FL studio's price plan and larger userbase (hence greater support infrastructure) has me tempted. However, reason's stock synths appear far more powerful that FL's. Could a more experienced producer than I verify this? Its an important factor for me as I can't financially justify buying FL + a few synths.

(I also prefer reason's workflow btw).

Thanks in advance for your help (:
Not sure if you can still buy R10 unless it’s a used copy. My advice would be to trial both. Also keep in mind FL has free updates.

User avatar
dan_g
Posts: 208
Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Location: Germany

Post 05 May 2021

+1 for reasons workflow compared to FLs

i started with reason so its the most comfortable for me. tried FL for some time and really didn't dig that pattern based approach so much. but this is a very personal opinion and taste thing.

als for the main question. i really like the stock synths of reason. they are as simple and complex at the same time depending on youre experience level. Stock Synth + Combinator is a killer "combination" for me. sure after the VST intro i started to use some more vstis but i use so much stock synths and also the orchestral nnxt stuff.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 10.4 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

Dread Massaker (DRMSKR) Heavy Dubstep Project: https://soundcloud.com/drmskr

User avatar
Kalm
Posts: 505
Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Location: Austin

Post 05 May 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
04 May 2021
Neither FL nor Reason's synths are especially "powerful" by modern standards, but that's a red herring.

Lots of new users get caught up in thinking "specs" are the be-all-and-end-all, but as some other posters have pointed out, getting "power" out of your tools is all about getting to the result you want as quickly and smoothly as possible. This is why the king of "powerful" sound creation is workflow, workflow, workflow, and why so many of us complain about the need to upgrade the workflow in Reason.

If you really want a "state-of-the-art" synth, you can get one FOR FREE by downloading the official free version of "Vital". It is way more than enough synth for any new user who wants the most modern and up to date thing available. Whether you go with FL or Reason, you would do well to pick it up. But music is more than just "a powerful synth".

Whichever DAW you get the most work done in, is the most powerful one for you. That sounds like a wishy-washy bit of advice, but I am serious. If it takes you 5 minutes to program a synth, do your EQ and effects, and get making basslines in DAW "A", but the same thing takes you 1 hour to get to the same level in DAW "B", then it doesn't matter that DAW "B" has a synth that can go up to 100 unison parts, because you never get any benefit from it.
Perfect summary to the thread
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

User avatar
EpiGenetik
Posts: 382
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: Glasgow, EU

Post 05 May 2021

JoaquinViggo wrote:
04 May 2021
FL studio's price plan and larger userbase (hence greater support infrastructure) has me tempted.
I would be very careful with this thinking, if I were you.

To me, the FL business model is an "out", or an "end game"; they don't look like they intend to exist indefinitely. They can afford to give free updates forever providing there is always a steady stream of new customers; so if the customer rate slows, so do the upgrades - and it gets slower than "rate x" then no more FL. At that point the company will sell off their assets and call it a day.

Do a bit of Googling for "Ponzi scheme". This is precisely what Image Line upgrade model resembles, with the exception that when it goes to the wall and the company folds there will be no liability to the company directors/owners etc.

Jus my 2 cents :D
Good luck!

User avatar
EpiGenetik
Posts: 382
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: Glasgow, EU

Post 05 May 2021

By the way, your question is flawed - it's similar to "how green is this apple?"

If you are really interested in knowing what synths are best for you, then while I agree with others who have stated that workflow is very important, I would actually state that you need to listen to the synths themselves and consider whether those sounds will fit within the music and style that you intend to produce. If a synth can do a huge trance supersaw that impresses you, but your intended genre is sample based hip-hop then that synth is of no real use to you.

Hope this helps,
B

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8831
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 05 May 2021

EpiGenetik wrote:
05 May 2021
By the way, your question is flawed - it's similar to "how green is this apple?"

If you are really interested in knowing what synths are best for you, then while I agree with others who have stated that workflow is very important, I would actually state that you need to listen to the synths themselves and consider whether those sounds will fit within the music and style that you intend to produce. If a synth can do a huge trance supersaw that impresses you, but your intended genre is sample based hip-hop then that synth is of no real use to you.

Hope this helps,
B
All those "Is X better than Y?" or "which is the best FOOBAR?" are just pointless clickbait threads :-)
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3973
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 05 May 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
04 May 2021
JoaquinViggo wrote:
04 May 2021
However, reason's stock synths appear far more powerful that FL's. Could a more experienced producer than I verify this?
The Reason stock synths can be both good and bad, just like all the FL Studio synths can also be both good and bad. I agree that the main factor to choose a DAW would be the workflow and the feel to it. As Reason supports VST and REs you can get any sound into it, - thus it doesn't matter which you use in that manner.
Also depends what genre you're doing as well. FL has bigger sounding EDM sounds imo. Not that Reason can't do them but think it takes more effort like with Combinators and multiple devices.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.25 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ortxedys
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 Nov 2018

Post 05 May 2021

EpiGenetik wrote:
05 May 2021
JoaquinViggo wrote:
04 May 2021
FL studio's price plan and larger userbase (hence greater support infrastructure) has me tempted.
I would be very careful with this thinking, if I were you.

To me, the FL business model is an "out", or an "end game"; they don't look like they intend to exist indefinitely. They can afford to give free updates forever providing there is always a steady stream of new customers; so if the customer rate slows, so do the upgrades - and it gets slower than "rate x" then no more FL. At that point the company will sell off their assets and call it a day.

Do a bit of Googling for "Ponzi scheme". This is precisely what Image Line upgrade model resembles, with the exception that when it goes to the wall and the company folds there will be no liability to the company directors/owners etc.

Jus my 2 cents :D
Good luck!
If we all went by this way of reasoning, whats the point of sticking with Reason if its inevitably going to become subscription only? While I see your point, to devalue FL like that simply because you dont get on with it is a bit unnecessary. Theres a lot there for the money. Whether you like it or not.

OP, use what you like. Not what we tell you is good. The longer you do it, the more you realize having other DAW's isnt the end of the world.

DaveyG
Posts: 835
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 05 May 2021

EpiGenetik wrote:
05 May 2021
To me, the FL business model is an "out", or an "end game"; they don't look like they intend to exist indefinitely. They can afford to give free updates forever providing there is always a steady stream of new customers; so if the customer rate slows, so do the upgrades - and it gets slower than "rate x" then no more FL.
I know what you are saying but they're currently celebrating 23 years of free updates. That's long enough for some of their customers to have kids old enough to become new customers. Theoretically you can run out of new customers but in practice you don't. And if you take a look at any of their minor updates you'll find more bugfixes and new features than are in a Reason major update. So they are doing pretty well right now. To quote one of the product managers "FL Studio sales have been doubling every other year for the last 8. Before that it was more like 10-20% year/year.". And whilst the core DAW updates are free they can still sell you add-on packs, an upgrade to a higher tier or individual instruments from one of the higher tiers.

If you go and look at their forum you'll find senior management and devs actively interacting with users and being frank and open about what they are planning, why they are doing it and explaining why some decisions were made, even the unpopular ones. There is an open Beta right now and the interaction between customers and devs is astonishing and refreshing. I can think of another DAW manufacturer not too far away from this unofficial-official forum who could learn something from that. The RS official types usually only pop up here to sell us something or to defend the new subs model.

And if you want to talk about companies disappearing, whatever happened to those nice, decent guys at Propellerheads? I'll tell you what happened. They were bought by evil venture capitalists, got renamed, had their support team cut and had everything refocussed onto profit profit profit with a view to selling the company on and losing even more of its soul.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], TritoneAddiction, turbopage and 8 guests