Where can I buy a legit Ignition Key?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jackjackdaw

30 Mar 2021

Obviously it's a bit of a gamble as to if it will continue to be supported. But is there anywhere trustworthy I can buy one from atm? I'm wary of second hand USB keys , could be riddled with malware.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
30 Mar 2021
Obviously it's a bit of a gamble as to if it will continue to be supported. But is there anywhere trustworthy I can buy one from atm? I'm wary of second hand USB keys , could be riddled with malware.
It’s not a gamble. They’ve said support is dropped.
If you still want one check Amazon.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

I've not seen any ignition keys or codemeter keys on amazon for ages...

Jackjackdaw

30 Mar 2021

By support I meant 'continue to work unsupported'

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
30 Mar 2021
By support I meant 'continue to work unsupported'
https://www.gear4music.se/sv/Inspelning ... n-Key/1B5E

Cancel that...no longer available.
"Denna produkt är inte tillgänglig för inköp för närvarande"
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

As things stand windows and mac both have the software available to use the key, but Reason Studios have made it very clear that the device is not going to be supported.

Now if that means removing the ability to write a new license to the dongle then as things stand V11 would be the highest licensing available but....

If they continue to allow writing licenses via the account page then it's only newer OS's that would cause an issue as they are not going to support ignition keys on big sur.

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

Reading through support documents it is looking like internet authorisation will be the only available option.

You can either sign in on each launch of Reason or authorizer one device for offline use.

James has said that they are looking into a better solution but as of yet there has been no news on the issue and it is an important issue for some.

Jackjackdaw

30 Mar 2021

Thanks, probably a waste of money then. I just got spooked because when I got the free eksperimental spring verb re, the authorizer crapped out again and I need to de/reauthorise my laptop.

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
30 Mar 2021
Thanks, probably a waste of money then. I just got spooked because when I got the free eksperimental spring verb re, the authorizer crapped out again and I need to de/reauthorise my laptop.
Yeah it's unfortunate but a dongle isn't going to help with that, it seems like there are a few more licensing issues with the current setup so much so that I've not updated at all and have stayed away from the shop completely.

The worst part is that it could easily end up being left that way with a new major release on the horizon.

I guess we will have to wait and see what RS does.......

Just make sure issues get reported so they are at least aware of them.....

CaptainBlack

30 Mar 2021

I still use the ignition key on my desktop and the offline authorisation on my laptop. If the former is dead, then I want another one of the latter.

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

CaptainBlack wrote:
30 Mar 2021
I still use the ignition key on my desktop and the offline authorisation on my laptop. If the former is dead, then I want another one of the latter.
It's not dead, but you should definitely look after it :thumbup:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, they advertised Balance as an Ignition Key. Even says so in the manual that it’s an IK. They took away the option to authorize that. Just saying.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
30 Mar 2021
At the risk of flogging a dead horse, they advertised Balance as an Ignition Key. Even says so in the manual that it’s an IK. They took away the option to authorize that. Just saying.
That's why I said we would have to wait and see if they remove it from the site for V12 or what ever the next major version is... all the discussions have been about not breaking it for current version, not once has anyone said it will work for future versions.....

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
30 Mar 2021
MrFigg wrote:
30 Mar 2021
That's why I said we would have to wait and see if they remove it from the site for V12 or what ever the next major version is... all the discussions have been about not breaking it for current version, not once has anyone said it will work for future versions.....
I must have misunderstood you when you wrote this..

.” They have said that they wouldn't break it for existing users”

Here: viewtopic.php?p=549971#p549971

I’m an existing user. If they remove the option to authorize then they’ve broken it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

You know as much about it as I do!

And by not breaking it for existing users I'm assuming that they mean your dongle will work so long as you have your license on it and you keep your current version.

I'm expecting that will change for future versions.

But your right to question it as they did break it for balance, but that's not what has been discussed, and balance was discontinued quite some time ago.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
30 Mar 2021
You know as much about it as I do!

And by not breaking it for existing users I'm assuming that they mean your dongle will work so long as you have your license on it and you keep your current version.

I'm expecting that will change for future versions.

But your right to question it as they did break it for balance, but that's not what has been discussed, and balance was discontinued quite some time ago.
Well, as I said, Balance was advertised as an Ignition Key so that is what’s being discussed. I didn’t care that they dropped support for Balance. I did get annoyed however that I was no longer able to use the IK.
From the manual:
Attachments
52944927-7398-4851-B479-C5AD3211DFAD.png
52944927-7398-4851-B479-C5AD3211DFAD.png (357.98 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

I'm just going by what RS has said, but I get your point and I'm glad that at the time I decided not to trust that the interface would be a good idea in the long term.

Billy+

30 Mar 2021

I'm still running 11.3.5 and even though it's got the RAM bug I would rather save a project and reopen it than have the authorizer issues that others are experiencing. I just won't be using the shop until it's all figured out.

joeyluck

30 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
30 Mar 2021
I'm still running 11.3.5 and even though it's got the RAM bug I would rather save a project and reopen it than have the authorizer issues that others are experiencing. I just won't be using the shop until it's all figured out.
People are having Authorizer issues specific to 11.3.9? What issues? I hadn't noticed.

pushedbutton

30 Mar 2021

My IK works just fine with 11.3.9
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

ShelLuser

31 Mar 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
30 Mar 2021
Not sure how much of a gamble that would be considering that the technology never changed. They basically replaced the hardware (USB dongle) for software (a virtual dongle) but everything else still remains. (edit: and looking at the Wibu website something tells me that the Props or RS company also had nothing to do with this new development either, the Wibu website also mentions virtual dongles).

Where to buy? Easy. Don't forget that all the Props did was buy a readily made solution, they didn't invent anything themselves. So... you can buy a dongle from the manufacturer who developed this copyright protection scheme: Wibu. See this website: https://www.wibu.com.

That's where I'd start looking for other compatible codemeters. Stuff changed over time but I definitely recall seeing options there which allowed consumers to buy new dongles.
--- :reason:

Steedus
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2021

If you're buying one partly for long-term nostalgia/collection, just a heads up the white outer sheath of mine has gone all sticky/tacky and is a bit gross haha (had it since Record 1.0).

• Information