Reason works fine in new computer but not wave files

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
calebbrennan

28 Mar 2021

I bought a new computer (i5 16 GB ram) and I got Reason 10.4 working great through my Focusrite 2i2.
My problem is I cannot get my stereo mixes of my reason songs to play in either VLC or Windows Media player. When I open it in those programs I see it scrolling I know it is playing but I don't hear anything.. I've scoured the Windows 10 audio settings and made the Focusrite the default interface. I tried the settings under the >properties of the wave file >play with VLC. Same with Windows Media I got nowhere.

Any advice appreciated.

P.S.
I always been a fan of Todd Rundgren Polymath- Superstar seeing him in my feed a lot lately and he's made it clear Reason is the platform he prefers.

calebbrennan

28 Mar 2021

I didn't make it clear these are wave file mixes, that I've listened to many times?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2021

Sometimes I have to close Reason before Media Player (for example) will play back .wav. I think it might have something to do with which driver Windows is using for playback. Same with ReCycle. Can’t get stuff to play in that if Reason is open at the same time.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

28 Mar 2021

If the problem only occurs when Reason is still running try unticking "play in background" in Reason's Edit->Preferences.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2021

DaveyG wrote:
28 Mar 2021
If the problem only occurs when Reason is still running try unticking "play in background" in Reason's Edit->Preferences.
Really? What does “play in background” actually mean in practice?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

28 Mar 2021

MrFigg wrote:
28 Mar 2021
DaveyG wrote:
28 Mar 2021
It's so Reason can keep playing when you switch away from it. But it also means that Reason can keep hold of the audio driver which is a problem for some drivers but not others. The OP did not say whether Reason is still running when he has the problem so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

I've also had problems in the past with a driver that had an "exclusive" tick box but I can't for the life of me remember which driver, interface or even PC I've had that on!

Heigen5

28 Mar 2021

I had a problem that my audio interface isn't a multi-client, so playing audio players and playing back Reason wasn't possible in once. It is possible though if your system and Reason samplerates are the same.

Here's an simple method to get it working: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/ar ... -same-time

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Mar 2021

DaveyG wrote:
28 Mar 2021
MrFigg wrote:
28 Mar 2021

It's so Reason can keep playing when you switch away from it. But it also means that Reason can keep hold of the audio driver which is a problem for some drivers but not others. The OP did not say whether Reason is still running when he has the problem so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

I've also had problems in the past with a driver that had an "exclusive" tick box but I can't for the life of me remember which driver, interface or even PC I've had that on!
Yeah...that's exactly it. I'm using a Balance driver which seems to only run one thing at one time.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information