Pro advice ' Switching from W7-pro to Windows 10 OEM !?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Majestik Monkey

26 Mar 2021

Just bought a New Comp which uses the standard OEM windows 10 Intel i5 Quad core ,16 gig Ram 2T Hard D , Will i need to update OEM to Home or Pro before installing Reason 11 !? or any other DAW / Reaper / Cubase Elements 11 / MB6 32C + + + Plugins & such?

I would be grateful if any one has made this transition ' or can give any advice , will it just be kinda obvious Updating Drivers & so On ?
Or will it just solve most of [issues] if i just update to Home or Pro ?

Thanks Majestik Monkey :?

DaveyG

26 Mar 2021

It will be absolutely fine as is. All good. :thumbup:

miyaru

26 Mar 2021

I prefer pro. And a fresh install of pro will get you get rid of all added stuff that come on factory installed computers......

Pro let's you twaek so much more so easy!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

LongFist

26 Mar 2021

miyaru wrote:
26 Mar 2021
Afresh install of pro will get you get rid of all added stuff that come on factory installed computers......

This. Absolutely this. Most excellent advice.
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

Majestik Monkey

26 Mar 2021

:D Thanks for all replies By Davey G / Miyaru / LongFist .................. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Arjanders

28 Mar 2021

miyaru wrote:
26 Mar 2021
I prefer pro. And a fresh install of pro will get you get rid of all added stuff that come on factory installed computers......

What are things that you can tweak regarding better performance for music production in a pro version of windows?

pushedbutton

28 Mar 2021

I seriously doubt that any issues will be solved by upgrading from home to Pro.
I also think there are little to no reasons that anyone (except people who have a propellerhead balance audio interface) should stay on windows 7.
I also happen to know that a windows 10 pro key is cheap af on the grey market and there's zero chance that the men in black will knock on your door for buying one.
Conclusion, gets windows 10 pro, or at least upgrade to it. Having said that, as far as music production and the systems associated with it, it will offer no advantage over the home edition.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

miyaru

29 Mar 2021

Arjanders wrote:
28 Mar 2021
miyaru wrote:
26 Mar 2021

What are things that you can tweak regarding better performance for music production in a pro version of windows?
No nesceserry for music production, but in a whole I find Pro nicer to work with, just my 2 cents not academical proven though......

And if you get rid of the pre-installed Win 10 home with all the shit added, do it good the first time!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2021

You have not really told anything about your new system as the important information is about the manufacturers of the parts in your system.

OEM for Windows is not a cut down version, it's usually brought in bulk volume at a low price.

Different PC manufactures however will configure it differently, some do add a lot of bloatware purely for selling purposes (look you also get ABC and XYZ etc.), some add cut down programs as they will get a kickback if you ever upgraded them.

Some do take the effort and make sure that every driver is optimised on your system and will do a better job than most non-computer people will do (e.g. just load the latest driver but never will take time to optimise it and just takes the default settings).

Personally and also depending on what you have brought, fire it up and just unload the bloatware programs, as this is for music don't look at the already installed program and think maybe one day I will use it, get rid of it, if you do need it one day then install it, again you will probably find a better free open source program out there that will do the same job (or even better).

Pro and Home are more or less the same OS, Home does have limitations manly on the remote configuration and connectivity side of things, Pro is aimed at companies, there are many tools out there that can unlock limitations in home.

Personally I use Pro where possible, I also have a laptop that is running Windows 10 home edition which I used as my main machine (as it was more powerful than my home systems) for a couple of years without any issues, the only hack I did to it was enable the remote access so I could termsrv to it from my now current main machine.

• Information