Reason 11 - OSX Big Sur: How to move all content to external drive ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
AppleConsultant

25 Mar 2021

- OSX Big Sur 11.3beta.
- Reason 11 latest version.

Just took a Reason+ membership, via Paypal (Hooray !) and first disappointment arose:
The installer doesn't let you choose a custom install location (like on an external drive) for all Reason 11 content (like Packs, etc.)
Bummer 2.0, shame on you ReasonStudios, not of this time anymore.

So, I noticed there are 2 folders on the system drive where the content is installed to:

- System > Library > Application Support > Propellerhead Software
- User > Library > Application Support > Propellerhead Software

I placed the 2 folders on an external drive and made symlinks for these 2 folders with Symbolic Linker utility, but this doesn't work:
Reason doesn't see the content on the external drive.

Some OSX - Reason user geek who maybe has a golden clue ?

TIA !
Apple Consultancy and Remote Support for Apple based music workstations.

Billy+

25 Mar 2021

Did you create the link as a soft or hard ?

I personally don't do this stuff on my mac but under Linux sometimes it was essential to create a hard link.

AppleConsultant

25 Mar 2021

Thx for your support !

I don't know the difference between hard and soft symbolic links.
I just used this tool for creating the sym links:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker

Billy+

25 Mar 2021

Did you logout or force quit & reload finder?

Like I say I don't dick about with my mac like this, but if I was to then I would be in a terminal and would check the man page for the ln command.

jam-s

25 Mar 2021

Hard links can only be made on the same physical partition. So they cannot go to the external drive. So soft links are the only option for this and as far as I remeber Reason does not support those in Appleland while in µ-soft land it just works when you create a soft link.

AppleConsultant

26 Mar 2021

Thank you for your support.
I did another try and succeeded abit, this is my outcome:

The folder Packs, which is located in user > Library > Application Support > Propellerhead Software CAN be symlinked.
I moved this folder to an external drive and put the symlink in user > Library > Application Support > Propellerhead Software

The folder RackExtensions, which is located in user > Library > Application Support > Propellerhead Software CAN NOT be symlinked.
If i try to do and i then run Reason, it will popup a message saying that the Rack Extensions licenses must be updated.
If i click OK to do so, Reason crashes.

Well, the above saved me around 6 gig diskspace on my internal drive (that is how big the Packs folder is).
The RackExtensions folder is around 12.6 gig big and would have been nice to succesfully symlink this folder also.

For creating Symlinks, i use this free tool:
https://github.com/nickzman/symboliclinker/releases

I hope this post is useful for other OSX users !

• Information