Hey, exact values for mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nandu01

23 Mar 2021

I am using shift while moving the fader in the mixer, but it still snaps to like .23 .55, Without typing the custom value how am I supposed to move it exactly .01?

If this is not possible, is there a controller that will let me have more precision???

zoidkirb

23 Mar 2021

+1

It'd be good to have type-able values everywhere too. I don't think I've ever been able to set the M-Class Maximizer to -1.0
I always settle for -1.1 :-)

guitfnky

23 Mar 2021

I don’t understand why this is necessary. there’s 0.0% chance any of us will ever hear a 0.1 difference to any fader setting.

not saying it wouldn’t be nice, but more importantly, it isn’t really necessary.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

pushedbutton

23 Mar 2021

It's because they're compatible with midi, the values are divided into 128 increments, midi can only be a value between 0 and 127.
If you can hear the difference between a compression value of 1 and 1.1 you're not human.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

zoidkirb

23 Mar 2021

pushedbutton wrote:
23 Mar 2021
It's because they're compatible with midi, the values are divided into 128 increments, midi can only be a value between 0 and 127.
If you can hear the difference between a compression value of 1 and 1.1 you're not human.
Looks like I'll have to wait till Midi 2.0 is implemented to soothe my value OCD.

I wonder how other DAWs handle this. Are they lying to us and simply rounding values out or are they not Midi compatible.

Either way, I still enjoy the convenience of simply typing in values.

estuary

23 Mar 2021

long time request...

Problem is that it's not always +0.1 but depending on the devices the gap could be more.
If you work on EQ, saturation, exciter, etc with good headphones you can definitely feel the difference sometimes
I usually set a specific value with automation

and yeah maybe I am weird but I always try to get clear value such as 10, 195, 14000, 300.50, -45, etc
There are so many knobs, faders it helps me remember which ones I tweaked ;)

For information : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510845

Jackjackdaw

24 Mar 2021

+1 for typable values. I don't think it's about precision for my ears , it's a ui thing. Just like it is convenient to type in a value for an automation point rather than drag the little toggle around.

Rising Night Wave

24 Mar 2021

in menu under edit\preferences...\tab general\editing: mouse knob range - you can adjust your mouse sensitivity for knobs and sliders. and using SHIFT while knobbing/sliding it makes thing even more precise.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

mcatalao
Competition Winner

24 Mar 2021

Rising Night Wave wrote:
24 Mar 2021
in menu under edit\preferences...\tab general\editing: mouse knob range - you can adjust your mouse sensitivity for knobs and sliders. and using SHIFT while knobbing/sliding it makes thing even more precise.
This !

But let me say that for the normal human, sensing less than 0,5 db level changes is really hard so anything under 0,1 db is overkill and tbh... only a pacifier for the op's OCD.

RoryM0

24 Mar 2021

Recently I've been wondering about 734. Why do this.

plasticfractal

24 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
23 Mar 2021
I don’t understand why this is necessary. there’s 0.0% chance any of us will ever hear a 0.1 difference to any fader setting.

not saying it wouldn’t be nice, but more importantly, it isn’t really necessary.
I can think of a couple benefits from it. First, it would be nice to know a fader is at -12, rather than "about 1/3 up from the bottom". For fine mixing tasks, where you want to make really slight changes to some levels, it would be great to just note "-3, -4, -5, -7" and type in some new values to test the sound. Then you can easily get back to where you were by just typing in the previous values instead of having to eyeball it while holding shift and dragging the mouse. I love the real world appearance of the devices, but it would be very helpful to be able to type in parameter values all over the place instead of mouse dragging. Though mouse dragging can be quick and fun too. It would be best to have both options.

guitfnky

24 Mar 2021

plasticfractal wrote:
24 Mar 2021
guitfnky wrote:
23 Mar 2021

I can think of a couple benefits from it. First, it would be nice to know a fader is at -12, rather than "about 1/3 up from the bottom". For fine mixing tasks, where you want to make really slight changes to some levels, it would be great to just note "-3, -4, -5, -7" and type in some new values to test the sound. Then you can easily get back to where you were by just typing in the previous values instead of having to eyeball it while holding shift and dragging the mouse. I love the real world appearance of the devices, but it would be very helpful to be able to type in parameter values all over the place instead of mouse dragging. Though mouse dragging can be quick and fun too. It would be best to have both options.
agreed. 👆🏼 having an option to type values in is the best use case. mainly, my questioning was based on the OP’s implication that they needed to be able to manually set it (via mouse or controller) to pinpoint values, which is not really necessary unless you’ve got robot ears.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information