Advise studio speakers

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Zulalancho

22 Mar 2021

Hello everybody! I've been working with Reason for a little over 2 months, I'm still sitting in FL writing something like hip-hop, I only used headphones, but now I want to buy speakers, they must be of very good quality so that I can clearly hear what I'm writing! Here I read what is the difference between active and studio, and I need studio monitors! What can you recommend in a budget of up to $ 800 per pair?
I was advised Audioengine HD 6 how are they?

nebraskafire

22 Mar 2021

I have JBL MK2 these a very good and affordable at the same time. But you will need some acoustic treatment for you room if you have an untreated room otherwise you will mix against your room and this is very frustrating.

DaveyG

22 Mar 2021

You'll get more opinions than you want but here are my suggestions:

1. Don't put large speakers in a small room.
2. Plan to spend half your budget on room treatment (including speaker stands).
3. Positioning bad speakers well gives better results than positioning good speakers badly.
4. Suggested brands: Adam Audio, Presonus, Genelec. Avoid Rokits. I think Audioengines are HiFi speakers rather than studio monitors.

Other opinions are available!

adfielding

22 Mar 2021

Zulalancho wrote:
22 Mar 2021
Here I read what is the difference between active and studio, and I need studio monitors!
I'm not going to weigh in on which monitors you should go for as that will primarily come down to where you're using them and your allotted budget. However, I just wanted to comment that there's a fair amount of mis-information in that particular link - so much so that I absolutely would NOT trust anything else written on that particular site!

Most glaring to me is that studio monitors aren't always active - they can come in active, powered, and passive varieties. For a proper explanation of the differences, here's a somewhat more reliable article (from 2003, no less).

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... e-monitors

Studio monitors are typically intended to sound unflattering so as to highlight potential mix issues, and also to help your mixes translate better to a wider variety of setups. As such, the idea of using monitors in a home theatre setup (as per your linked article) is flat-out weird to me - not only would it probably be a more expensive option, but in that sort of situation I would want the speakers to flatter the sound. You don't buy home theatre speakers to highlight mix problems, you buy them to sound pleasing.

What a strange, strange article.

guitfnky

22 Mar 2021

depends on the room you’ll be using them in. first thing to do (by far most important) is to do some research on the type of room you’re mixing in, and how to treat it—and then, naturally, install some room treatment, if you haven’t already. this is more important than spending a bunch of money on great speakers (putting great speakers in a poorly treated room is like putting $1000 rims on a rusted out 2005 Corolla).

as for speakers, like someone said, don’t buy huge speakers if you’re mixing in a small room. when I moved, a couple of years ago, my room became much smaller (basically an 11 foot box), and I actually benefited from downsizing from 6 inch KRKs to a pair of 5 inch KRKs. they put out more than enough to fill the room, and are nice and clear, even in the low end.

speaking of which, don’t listen to whoever said don’t buy Rokits. they’re good—plenty of great mixes have come out of those speakers (there’s a reason why they’re still around). of course, if you still have money to spare after getting your room treatment sorted, then step up to a more expensive pair of monitors, but it really is way more important to get your room sounding right, than it is to have great speakers.

also, keep in mind where any bass ports are on the speakers you get—you generally don’t want rear-firing ports if you have to have your speakers close to the wall (see? room acoustics play into everything 😅). and get some of these, if you don’t already have them: IsoAcoustics ISO155 Medium...

they make a HUGE difference in imaging clarity (way better than foam pads).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bxbrkrz

22 Mar 2021

Zulalancho wrote:
22 Mar 2021
Hello everybody! I've been working with Reason for a little over 2 months, I'm still sitting in FL writing something like hip-hop, I only used headphones, but now I want to buy speakers, they must be of very good quality so that I can clearly hear what I'm writing! Here I read what is the difference between active and studio, and I need studio monitors! What can you recommend in a budget of up to $ 800 per pair?
I was advised Audioengine HD 6 how are they?

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmtm/
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Noplan
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2021

If you don't have good room acoustics, then I can recommend the KSD C5. The design allows the monitors to be pushed very close to the ear.

Popey
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
22 Mar 2021
depends on the room you’ll be using them in. first thing to do (by far most important) is to do some research on the type of room you’re mixing in, and how to treat it—and then, naturally, install some room treatment, if you haven’t already. this is more important than spending a bunch of money on great speakers (putting great speakers in a poorly treated room is like putting $1000 rims on a rusted out 2005 Corolla).

as for speakers, like someone said, don’t buy huge speakers if you’re mixing in a small room. when I moved, a couple of years ago, my room became much smaller (basically an 11 foot box), and I actually benefited from downsizing from 6 inch KRKs to a pair of 5 inch KRKs. they put out more than enough to fill the room, and are nice and clear, even in the low end.

speaking of which, don’t listen to whoever said don’t buy Rokits. they’re good—plenty of great mixes have come out of those speakers (there’s a reason why they’re still around). of course, if you still have money to spare after getting your room treatment sorted, then step up to a more expensive pair of monitors, but it really is way more important to get your room sounding right, than it is to have great speakers.

also, keep in mind where any bass ports are on the speakers you get—you generally don’t want rear-firing ports if you have to have your speakers close to the wall (see? room acoustics play into everything 😅). and get some of these, if you don’t already have them: IsoAcoustics ISO155 Medium...

they make a HUGE difference in imaging clarity (way better than foam pads).
Just wanted to +1 on the iso acoustic stuff. I use the iso puck mini's and they make a massive difference on my set up.

• Information